Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I listened to this last night through the little speaker on my iPhone (what a miracle of modern science that thing is) and it sounded great. The squeaks were a non issue there... but unfortunately they really are an issue here upon listen to this through a proper setup.

First off... the song is awesome, and you can't separate the simple but very very cool soundscape you've created for it. Really, it all works as this way too cool symbiotic entity of writing, performance and arrangement/production. Really, really, nice.

So the squeaks. Run the acoustic guitar track through a plugin de-essor. Use the listen function to tune the freq so that squeak is isolated, it will jump WAY out when you find the right frequency. Then take it out of listen and lower the threshold so it only attenuates when the squeak occurs. Make sure it doesn't engage but only on those squeaks. Set the amount of attenuation so the squeaks are still there but in a natural balance. done.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
      View Post

I listened to this last night through the little speaker on my iPhone (what a miracle of modern science that thing is) and it sounded great. The squeaks were a non issue there... but unfortunately they really are an issue here upon listen to this through a proper setup.

First off... the song is awesome, and you can't separate the simple but very very cool soundscape you've created for it. Really, it all works as this way too cool symbiotic entity of writing, performance and arrangement/production. Really, really, nice.

So the squeaks. Run the acoustic guitar track through a plugin de-essor. Use the listen function to tune the freq so that squeak is isolated, it will jump WAY out when you find the right frequency. Then take it out of listen and lower the threshold so it only attenuates when the squeak occurs. Make sure it doesn't engage but only on those squeaks. Set the amount of attenuation so the squeaks are still there but in a natural balance. done.

Awesome Lee! I was wondering if there was some editing trick to kill that noise. That would prevent me from having to re-record the entire guitar track twice, since i did two of them.
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...ontent=widgets

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ontological
        View Post

Awesome Lee! I was wondering if there was some editing trick to kill that noise. That would prevent me from having to re-record the entire guitar track twice, since i did two of them.

If you can't make that work, you could also automate the slides down. I've had to do that a few times and it works fine, though it takes longer than a single effect that will process the entire track in one step.
        Don't listen to Justin.
        LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

Around what frequency do those squeaks generally occur?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ontological
            View Post

Around what frequency do those squeaks generally occur?

A shot in the dark here but... sweep between 2k and 5k. Find the loudest in listen mode and that's the center frequency of your squeak. The caveat is that the frequency is going to shift a little depending on the individual squeak. So search (sweep) through that area and find the ugliest (and it will be ugly in listen mode) and that's the one.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal
              View Post

The opening stanza confused me. Not a good way to start out; confused. I really do like:

So don?t you say you?re in love

I don?t want to hear it

I believe it he?s the one you want

I know you?ll be trading up
              . . . , (except for the silly question marks )

And I love the: "Did you see me looking at her" lines. So, I'd consider putting the "So don't say" verse up front, or rewrite your original first verse.

Hey Marshall,

The first verse is the man laying it on the line basically. Look I'm here or at least a relationship with me, it's here if you want it. I didn't think that would have had a chance at be confusing. I know it's vague if taken on it's own but considering the rest of the context I thought it was comprehensible enough.

Comment

Working...
              X