Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomson
    View Post

Sleep well, my friend.

I love this place. There are lots of places to post songs and get that mutual appreciation thing going......not here. Here we are not afraid to say what we really think and because of that all who participate have become better songwriters.

You know that I write a lot of songs. Fact is, if I don't have something going I am not emotionally comfortable. So after the opus....and after a computer/studio upgrade, I needed to get a song going. So I plugged in the electric guitar and let things flow. Interestingly enough, the song ended up coming from a very personal place......so much so that I considered not posting it.

I know that I rely heavily on all those 'Lennyism'. Sigh........funny thing is, because of all of you I know how to not do that now. But....sometimes that comfort zone is just so......comfortable and secure.

I probably won't be making any changes to this one. It served it's purpose for me and I'll just put it up on my page and move on. BUT.........these wonderfully honest critiques will stay close as I start the next one.

Leonard Scaper

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper
      View Post

Sleep well, my friend.

I love this place. There are lots of places to post songs and get that mutual appreciation thing going......not here. Here we are not afraid to say what we really think and because of that all who participate have become better songwriters.

You know that I write a lot of songs. Fact is, if I don't have something going I am not emotionally comfortable. So after the opus....and after a computer/studio upgrade, I needed to get a song going. So I plugged in the electric guitar and let things flow. Interestingly enough, the song ended up coming from a very personal place......so much so that I considered not posting it.

I know that I rely heavily on all those 'Lennyism'. Sigh........funny thing is, because of all of you I know how to not do that now. But....sometimes that comfort zone is just so......comfortable and secure.

I probably won't be making any changes to this one. It served it's purpose for me and I'll just put it up on my page and move on. BUT.........these wonderfully honest critiques will stay close as I start the next one.

I gotta say, you are a bigger man than I! I really wrestled with saying what I did but figure you asked us, so... but quite honestly, I feel uncomfortable saying those things. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. Kinda like telling Dylan he has a funny voice. He'd look at you and say... "Heeeyyy... whaaaoghgh suh sayyy whaagh?!"

But the way you accept it is so cool. I get a bit testy at times. So Lenny on, my broham!

Comment

But... ^^^ I still can't help but think there is a great song here. I know a lot of others think it is already there. That's cool. But man, I hear this and think... if it just this... and it didn't... that...

that's just me letting you know I think it's the dog's dangly bits in lots of ways.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

But... ^^^ I still can't help but think there is a great song here. I know a lot of others think it is already there. That's cool. But man, I hear this and think... if it just this... and it didn't... that...

that's just me letting you know I think it's the dog's dangly bits in lots of ways.

You should cover it... and provide your own motive.

Speaking of Lenny's writing style... I can't even think like he writes. With all the stops and starts... I can't imagine ever playing that live! So hats off to him... and his moti-whatever...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bee3
            View Post

You should cover it... and provide your own motive.

Speaking of Lenny's writing style... I can't even think like he writes. With all the stops and starts... I can't imagine ever playing that live! So hats off to him... and his moti-whatever...

well... good point. I wanna cover you too though!

Moti-whatever! I like it! I wish, and have tried, to find a better, less pretentious word that means the same thing. Believe me.

Comment

Leonard Scaper

Comment

View Post

Moti-whatever! I like it! I wish, and have tried, to find a better, less pretentious word that means the same thing. Believe me.

Huh? I think the word motif kicks ass, no matter how you spell it.
                “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Hmm, this is all quite interesting...

When does a person's own personal unique style change from being a positive, admired thing that sets them apart from others to being a perceived hindrance to their skill and talent in general? I guess that's a pretty subjective thing...
                  All things must pass...

Comment

View Post

We all want to be covered by you, man!
                    “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Finally got round to this one and I think it's FANTASTIC.

Call it done my friend.

With regards to Lennys style of breaking up the flow with his guitar licks (which I do "sometimes" find distracting) I actually find it very nice in this track, it is used more subtly and is not distracting from the song in any way for me.

Great song, you have written so many good ones of late

Comment

^^^ I wholeheartedly agree!
                        All things must pass...

Comment

Leonard Scaper

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick
                            View Post

Hmm, this is all quite interesting...

When does a person's own personal unique style change from being a positive, admired thing that sets them apart from others to being a perceived hindrance to their skill and talent in general? I guess that's a pretty subjective thing...

It is important to note a distinction between "personal unique style" and using the exact same material. For instance, listen to this:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

This is Len, through and through, his unique style on full display in one of the best songs I've ever heard. Notice, though, that even the few times he tosses in a lick, it isn't the same as it presents itself in "Savior" or the other numerous recent songs..

The problem that Lee is pointing out (and I have on several occasions as well) is that Len does tend to rely on that very specific technique a lot, and even though they seem to fit whenever he uses them, it can be very tiring to hear the same thing repeated numerous times. Especially when trying to listen to several of his songs in a row. The difference between style and specific technique can be subtle, but still monumental.

Now, all that said, I agree that it works very well here. And I don't think Lee would have had much of a beef with that technique in this song if this was the first Len tune he'd heard.
                            Don't listen to Justin.
                            LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek
                              View Post

It is important to note a distinction between "personal unique style" and using the exact same material. For instance, listen to this:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

How did I know you were going to post "Fat Boy?"

Comment

Wow....that is such an eye opening comparison between a song that is five years old or so and this most recent one. It really gives me pause.......I must stop and consider the implications of such an obvious style similarity. I really appreciate that, my friend.

I know you guys have been telling me this all along. Perhaps I need to step away....from myself...a bit and look for another musical perspective. I have something in mind.......

And thank you, Justin, for the recognition on that Fat Boy tune......it is by far my favorite song of any I have written, and another song that came from a very deep and personal place.
                                Leonard Scaper

Comment

Working...
                                X