X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Your Savior Now

This song came on suddenly, The lyrics flowed freely and I caught them in a pretty raw form.

I worry a bit, though, about the title/hook, even though I may not be able to change it. There are certain....possible implications...to such a title that I would ordinarily wish to avoid. Perhaps there is another way to say this....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11944626

Who is your savior now

Here on this island

Who is your savior

Why are you smiling

Who is your savior

You've been the rave for years

Up in your highlands

With all of your savoir faire

I see you're still smiling

So who is this savior

I wonder

If you

Really

Can live without

'Cause under

All of that peace of mind

Thunder rages

And there is no doubt

Who your savior is

Thunder rages

Spawned by the wind

That turned this page

And you know who it is

That through the ages

Has been your savior

So who is your savior now

instrumental

Here in this cave

Here on this island

Who is your savior

Look at that smile now

Such childish behavior

Who is your savior
    Leonard Scaper

I have no idea who the guy's savior is, but I'm not sure if I should, or if I should care.

So while I'm not sure what it all means, the upshot is I really like it anyway. In fact I think it's terrific.
    "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Why would you not care, LCK!? Maybe it is so incredibly crucial, even the character is only just starting to realise its importance.

I love this song, as I always do Lenny's songs...especially...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper
      View Post

Thunder rages

Spawned by the wind

That turned this page

And you know who it is

That through the ages

Has been your savior

All things must pass...

Comment

You'd do well to copywrite that before posting it: just sayin'.

Comment

Very nice Leo.........................I really like the way it moves me into wondering "who is your savior, now" As I imagine, I'm glad you don't spell it out for me / us (good job). I rather like the lyric the way it is.

The music is sweet to the ears...a little unrehursed in parts, but a very nice balance of acoustics and electric.

Your vocal comes in sincere and convincing.....good stuff, man!! -Tom

Comment

View Post

I worry a bit, though, about the title/hook, even though I may not be able to change it. There are certain....possible implications...to such a title that I would ordinarily wish to avoid.

I think the implications are right up-front, and that allows it to work in the way you intended.
            'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
            CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer
              View Post

I think the implications are right up-front, and that allows it to work in the way you intended.

This is what I had hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by TTognaci
              View Post

a very nice balance of acoustics and electric.

Was striving for that as well. Thanks, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by LCK
              View Post

I have no idea who the guy's savior is, but I'm not sure if I should, or if I should care.

This is actually a very important point in a song like this. As the writer, I do know who his savior is. But as Tom pointed out, it is often better to leave a little mystery for the listeners to take away with them.

Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick
              View Post

Maybe it is so incredibly crucial, even the character is only just starting to realise its importance.

A very astute observation.

I often walk this line in my lyrics and I had hoped that this time I was able to keep the balance.

Thanks, folks, for specifically addressing my concerns with this one.
              Leonard Scaper

Comment

I like the melody and the overall musical mood of the song. And generally, I like a lyric that doesn't hit me over the head. But in this case, I'm feeling like the basic metaphor is a bit too opaque. It sounds like you are not completely sure what it is supposed to mean. In my opinion, a vague lyric works when it focuses on imagery without trying to tell a story or make a point. But in this case, it sounds like you are trying to do one or both of those, so you might want to think about some possible meanings and then tweak the lyric such that the listener at least has a launching pad for jumping to his/her own conclusions.

But it does sound good - I think you're on the right track.
                Beware of deepities.-- Daniel Dennett

Comment

I don't really know what it means, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. And more importantly, I really wanted to know, so I found myself listening harder for clues than I normally do.

I loved it entirely as is with on exception, the lick at 17 after "savoir fair". It was well placed and made sense, but it screams Lenny Special to anyone who has heard one of your songs before. I think a real simple solution would be to make the run descending instead. Everything else felt like it fit without calling too much attention to itself outside the framework of the song.
                  Don't listen to Justin.
                  LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

View Post

This song came on suddenly, The lyrics flowed freely and I caught them in a pretty raw form.

I worry a bit, though, about the title/hook, even though I may not be able to change it. There are certain....possible implications...to such a title that I would ordinarily wish to avoid. Perhaps there is another way to say this....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11944626

Who is your savior now

Here on this island

Who is your savior

Why are you smiling

Who is your savior

You've been the rave for years

Up in your highlands

With all of your savoir faire

I see you're still smiling

So who is this savior

I wonder

If you

Really

Can live without

'Cause under

All of that peace of mind

Thunder rages

And there is no doubt

Who your savior is

Thunder rages

Spawned by the wind

That turned this page

And you know who it is

That through the ages

Has been your savior

instrumental

Here in this cave

Here on this island

Who is your savior

Look at that smile now

Such childish behavior

Who is your savior

check out my stuff http://youtu.be/Buya2j06WwURead your Bible, son. Genesis 6:6, Isiah 55:8, John 14:6

Comment

Hmmm.

Well... there are so many things I like about it. But some I don't. There are some very cool acoustic guitar rhythm motives that really spark up an interest. But the single note line electric stuff falls into such familiar territory with the same motive you've used in so many songs. I feel I'm lying if I don't mention it. Do you really want that same guitar lick in this song? With that much repetition? Does it really do something to support this melody and lyric? I'm going to say it doesn't. But if it does to you, does it to all the other songs you've used it in? I don't understand that. Why is that motive present in every one of your tunes. When you pull away from it, you're great, in my opinion. It feels a little like self sabotage.

And while I really loved a lot of the lyric, I found that the "mystery" was more of just a lack of really understanding what it is you're saying. I get to a degree what is being said, but never the less, walk away as a listener feeling a little betrayed and played.

So I'm going to be honest and say that I believe you're falling into a rut here. And it is a bit frustrating for me because I think the fix is so apparent. And necessary. I realize I'm bucking the common vibe but I think it needs to be said. And of course, YMMV.

Or not. Cause you know I love ya, Len.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                        View Post

There are some very cool acoustic guitar rhythm motives ... the same motive you've used in so many songs ... Why is that motive present in every one of your tunes

I can see Lee's point of view. Personally, I like the song as is, but I think his advice (despite the misspelling of motif) is something that could bring your work to another level.

This is something I have to wrestle with a lot myself, particularly in my lyric writing.
                        "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

View Post

I can see Lee's point of view. Personally, I like the song as is, but I think his advice (despite the misspelling of motif) is something that could bring your work to another level.

This is something I have to wrestle with a lot myself, particularly in my lyric writing.

And I think your post is good except for your mistaken belief that there is only one way to spell motif/motive.

"In music, a motif or motive is a short musical idea..."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                            View Post

And I think your post is good except for your mistaken belief that there is only one way to spell motif/motive.

"In music, a motif or motive is a short musical idea..."

Okay. My bad. But motif is still the preferred spelling.

Comment

View Post

Okay. My bad. But motif is still the preferred spelling.

Preferred by you!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X