Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone dig up a link of what the orchestra was about to play at the end of that clip? Not necessarily that specific performance, but any orchestra?
    Don't listen to Justin.
    LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek
      View Post

Can anyone dig up a link of what the orchestra was about to play at the end of that clip? Not necessarily that specific performance, but any orchestra?

When the clip ends there's a display of several related videos. Click on the one in the upper left hand corner and you'll get the next segment of Bernstein's seminar. Or better yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09V4NQkOKI
      “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

This is awesome. Sticky material.
        Don't listen to Justin.
        LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

sometimes i'll do that and yeah, I have trouble coming up with a melody.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LCK
            View Post

Better yet, here's a small excerpt, showing how I used this technique in an older tune.

"Where Did She Go?"

(0:45)

I think it would be cool to hear other people's samples as well.

I really... like that. What a melody. What cool harmony. Very nice!!!

Comment

Better yet, here's a small excerpt, showing how I used this technique in an older tune.

"Where Did She Go?"

I look forward to hearing you sing this one.
              Leonard Scaper

Comment

I really... like that. What a melody. What cool harmony. Very nice!!!

Thanks.

In regards to "how" it was conceived, I started with a very simple downward progression in G Minor, which ended on an Fmin chord, which I think could be considered a simple downwards modulation from G Minor to F Minor. Then I continued downward from F Minor into Eb Minor, with no variation.

Then I used the same basic downward melody line but instead of ending on C#min (the next logical step), I went first to F7(b9) then to D7, which resolved naturally into a GMaj7.

So the verse shifts from G Minor down to F Minor down to Eb Minor and then resolves to G Major. That's yours (and Bernstein's) 1, 2, 3, resolving into 4.

In the bridge, I shifted first from G Major into Bb Major and ended that section on a GMaj7 chord. Then I modulated up to C Major, repeating the same progression that I had played in Bb Major, then ended the bridge by resolving things on an AMaj7th chord.

That's the whole tune, basically, except when I started the final verse (not heard on the excerpt), I modulated up from G minor to Ab minor, went through the same progression as before, only a half-step higher than the original. Ah, but instead of ending on an AbMaj7 chord (a half-step up from the original GMaj7), I did a trick where I first went to a BMaj7, then to an F#Maj7, repeated that motif a few times, then finally resolved to the AbMaj7 when the ear was expecting to hear the B chord.

I wasn't thinking about any of this. I was just trying to feel my way through what sounded coolest.
                “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Don't give us all that and only a brief sample. I want it all!
                  Don't listen to Justin.
                  LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Don't give us all that and only a brief sample. I want it all!

You guys have already heard this song. I posted it quite a while ago. At least I think I did.

If not...

[FONT="]"Where Did She Go?[/FONT]"
                    (32)

[FONT="]The night has its own sweet rhythm[/FONT]
                    [FONT="]only the lonely know,
                    where in your imagination
                    [/FONT] she'll never go.

[FONT="] You see her eyes; they shine in the shadows.[/FONT]
                    [FONT="] You hear her laugh on a passing breeze.[/FONT]
                    [FONT="] In the dark the sparkling windows[/FONT]
                    [FONT="] seem to shimmer with memories.[/FONT]

[FONT="]So why waste the night in slumber?[/FONT]
                    [FONT="]You

Comment

Yes, I had heard that before. It is amazing how your songs continue to compel despite most of them being in the same subject matter and style.

Do you recall a tune you posted a year or so ago, that reference a time machine? I think that was the one that had a more country feel to it. I was wanting to hear that one again recently, do you think you could dig up a link?
                      Don't listen to Justin.
                      LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Yes, I had heard that before. It is amazing how your songs continue to compel despite most of them being in the same subject matter and style.

Do you recall a tune you posted a year or so ago, that reference a time machine? I think that was the one that had a more country feel to it. I was wanting to hear that one again recently, do you think you could dig up a link?

You might be thinking of this one: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2755447-quot-The-Old-Days-quot-WIP-it-s-still-a-bit-rough-but-I-kinda-like-this-one...&highlight=

One of the things I like about this tune -- and this kind of relates to the topic at hand -- is that the verses have 3 sections. The first is a standard chord progression in C. Then I throw in an Ab and a Bb flat chord, then slide back into a normal C progression.

I think it adds just the right amount of tension before it resolves.

Comment

At least I think I did.

I remember now......such a pleasure to hear it again.
                          Leonard Scaper

Comment

Working...
                          X