Songwriting contest ?

Marshal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Ram - are there any particular rules? I see that you just have to PM Cheese Grits a link... anything else I need to know? How does it work?
It used to be a much larger event, but I think it's going to be pretty small this year. Usually the host puts the songs up on a web site somewhere (shorn of MP3 id tags) and puts up a poll with links to the songs. Registered HC users vote in the poll. Many people provide some commentary on the songs (more of the "attaboy" than "the second line in the bridge has too many syllables" variety) although that is not necessary/expected. In previous years there were multiple rounds of voting and different voting rules for each round (vote for all that you like, vote for your top two, vote for just one, etc.) but as the tradition is kind of dying out I'm not sure it has to be that complicated.

At the end the host posts which songs were written by which forumite, and the winner gets to put something silly in his sig for the next year.

FWIW I think micwalt is going to enter this one:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....-Check-it-out

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
OK. I re-read that thread. I don't see anything redeeming about the whole thing.

To hell with them.
I've entered twice and enjoyed it. It's nice getting anonymous, honest feedback about your material, although at this point, I'm sure all the regulars over there can easily identify whose tune is whose. It's pretty friendly, and a good motivator for finishing up tunes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

I don't like anybody either... but I like us! You gotta like us. What is up with that?

Each subforum of this place has its own culture. There are a couple people that hang out in GJ that have tried here and for whatever reason don't dig the vibe. They can be pretty vocal about it. I like both spots and know at least a handful of other folks that do as well.

• Members

OK. I submitted something anyway. It's a real rough (but fun) one track, one take, recording of the song I just (mostly) finished. The thread was titled "What Can I Say" but I've changed the song title to: "The Interview," because at the moment I feel that better describes the song (though still leaves the question, "Is this about an interview for a job, or for a male-female relationship?")

It's on my soundclick, if you want to listen to the latest.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv View Post
You must submit downloadable mp3 links for the contest. If you did soundclick, soundcloud or anything like that please see this post by Cheese Grits and get him something TODAY!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post47207654
Thanks. I was out of town all weekend. Just got back a few minutes ago and saw this. I sent it out to CG. Hope he gets it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
You realize of course that all you nurturing songwriters are competing in a contest over there? lol...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! (I don't want any of the other losers on this site to get wind of it.)

Archived