Rough start of a song (with phone demo)

stickboymusic

• Members

Hello

Just came out with this one - its just a start.

Do you think its working this far.... i hoping its going to be a sparse/intimate recording

Got a way to go with the writing at the mo but anything jumping out?

Here is a rough demo recorded quickly onto my phone.

http://picosong.com/384d/

If you're lonely
Then it seems you do not know me
I've been hanging round forever
Only to find
I am never in your arms
And never on your mind

If you're lonely
Reach out your hand and hold me
For a million days won't matter
If you don't see
That a million dreams will shatter
When I leave

Life is like a rollercoaster running out of steam
First you have the ups and downs and then the inbetween
If you don't want to take this ride alone then let it show
I guess that lonely, is the only thing you know

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know, I'm not taking much away from it. In particular, the second verse doesn't make sense to me. Where did a million days come from, and who's having these a million dreams? In any case, a million is a pretty big number. And why is he leaving?

The melody is pleasant enough but it makes... me... sleepy. Sparse/intimate is one thing, somnolent is another.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
I don't know, I'm not taking much away from it. In particular, the second verse doesn't make sense to me. Where did a million days come from, and who's having these a million dreams? In any case, a million is a pretty big number. And why is he leaving?

The melody is pleasant enough but it makes... me... sleepy. Sparse/intimate is one thing, somnolent is another.
I am not sure it needs an explaination but what is being said is that a life time (a million days?) wont matter if she (the girl) doesnt realise she needs to speak up soon or the man will be gone.

I am not sure what sort of music you are into, you have only really ever posted here with strong critisisms, no suggestions and bluntness.

I am always happy for some negative/constructive feedback but yours always seems a little pointless.

Maybe stick my demo on again and get yourself to sleep.

• Members

There's probably never a song of yours that I feel like saying 'Dump it and start again'.
I think this one has its strength to build on. The only weakness I'm hearing is the melodic weakness of the 1st two lines of the verses.

The 1st line is OK on its own, but when its followed by the 2nd, they sound very predictable. It's mainly the upward inflection on the words 'hold me' that is the weakest link.
I don't know what key you are in, but it sounds like 1st line - C / Cmaj7 and 2nd line F / Fmaj7. Maybe try descending the melody on the 'hold me' or alternatively change the F / Fmaj7 to another chord.

For some reason, when I first read the lyric, I imagined Gerry Marsden singing it in a mid-tempo Liverpool cheeky chappy sort of way as he did in the mid-sixties.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
I am always happy for some negative/constructive feedback but yours always seems a little pointless.
Actually it's most of the songs on here that seem a little pointless, hence my generally negative feedback.

I like songs that actually have structure and meaning, set to music offering some level of interest, not quasi-poetic ramblings over quasi-random guitar noodlings.

If people gave more real thought to their songs, I'd give more real thought to my feedback. Otherwise, there's usually not much to say.

Don't worry, since this forum appears to be overwhelmingly hobbyists and their fanboys, I probably won't be around for long.

• Members
Actually it's most of the songs on here that seem a little pointless, hence my generally negative feedback.

I like songs that actually have structure and meaning, set to music offering some level of interest, not quasi-poetic ramblings over quasi-random guitar noodlings.

If people gave more real thought to their songs, I'd give more real thought to my feedback. Otherwise, there's usually not much to say.

Don't worry, since this forum appears to be overwhelmingly hobbyists and their fanboys, I probably won't be around for long.
Holy christ, you are a supreme asshole. Good riddance.

• Members

As the beginnings of something, I think it's definitely got the potential to be a really good tune. I really like the chords and the tune, though

I think the lyric is off to a terrific start. I'm never in your arms or on your mind. Beautiful.

I really like the way it ends now, but thought maybe this might be a bit better?

unless lonely, is the only thing you know.

or

If you don't want to take this ride alone just let me know
unless you think that lonely, is the only way to go.

There are lots of possibilities. But it's great as is.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tbry View Post
I usually love everything you do but in this case the melody is not up to your usual standards. I have no suggs just an observance.
I often have this problem when posting a rough phone demo straight after writing the initial idea - if there is "something" there I can usually much improve it once I start recording and trying as few things.

Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
As the beginnings of something, I think it's definitely got the potential to be a really good tune. I really like the chords and the tune, though

I think the lyric is off to a terrific start. I'm never in your arms or on your mind. Beautiful.

I really like the way it ends now, but thought maybe this might be a bit better?

unless lonely, is the only thing you know.

or

If you don't want to take this ride alone just let me know
unless you think that lonely, is the only way to go.

There are lots of possibilities. But it's great as is.
Thanks - will have a look at those last two lines.
Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer View Post
There's probably never a song of yours that I feel like saying 'Dump it and start again'.
I think this one has its strength to build on. The only weakness I'm hearing is the melodic weakness of the 1st two lines of the verses.

The 1st line is OK on its own, but when its followed by the 2nd, they sound very predictable. It's mainly the upward inflection on the words 'hold me' that is the weakest link.
I don't know what key you are in, but it sounds like 1st line - C / Cmaj7 and 2nd line F / Fmaj7. Maybe try descending the melody on the 'hold me' or alternatively change the F / Fmaj7 to another chord.

For some reason, when I first read the lyric, I imagined Gerry Marsden singing it in a mid-tempo Liverpool cheeky chappy sort of way as he did in the mid-sixties.
Similar to what I said above, melody/structure will be improved in the recording - thanks OGP

You're probably right - but in your world isnt EVERYTHING pointless - booo hooo

• Members

Hi Stick,

I pulled the song into a wave editor, and took a small snip out of the first verse, just to hear a slightly different chord change sequence and change in melody. I kinda like it. It may not match your vision of your song, but maybe might generate an idea.

www.allureiw.com/cut.mp3

If your lonely, then it seems you do [sECTION CUT] forever only to find...

Rick

• Members

The only thing Rangefinder and having looked at your last 30-50 posts I can confirm this, is that there are those that sit on the side lines and heckle, and those that point out issues and use their experience to pitch in and help. You may in fact be right in some of what you say in some of your posts, but from my vantage point I see about 50% just way off base.

If your comments were purely on the music, then that would be one thing. But they tend to stray into the personal "I am better than you" category quite often. The only thing is, you may think you are better than everyone else, but my sense is that you are probably the only one who believes that.

As for this song of Stick's, It's a DEMO. It's an IDEA. It's not a friggin finished piece. I'm a friggin amateur who sits in his basement and trys to write music and I can listen to the this song and get past that. If you're such an expert, why can't you?

There's an old saying, pardon me for using what is a cliche, it's 20 years in the military talking: Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Rick

• Members

I thought the chord progression was cool. I liked the lyric of the first two lines--old gitplayer complains about the melody, and that might be valid, but I was delighted enough by the forced rhyme that it worked for me. The bridge lyric is exceptional. Rangefinder is right in that the whole thing is a bit sleepy, but that can get ironed out with a fuller arrangement and a more confident performance.

• Members

I like the song so far. Melodically it's not compelling. But it stays consistent in it's sad story-telling bent. The story itself is a great start. I feel like I'm forming an impression of these characters. I care about what's happening. The language is simplistic sometimes, but you have a knack of closing a phrase in a unique way that keeps them fresh, without being obtuse. That's a gift.

Like I said, it's not compelling, but it's an engaging storyline.

You could develop another verse that gives some specific example of their interaction, and then run through your rollercoaster chorus. Maybe make it occur in a carnival or something.

• Members

This I like.....

Only to find
I am never in your arms
And never on your mind

And this......it might work fine without the millions, although that does remove the whole lifetime thing.

If you don't see
When I leave

Was thinking that a rollercoaster is a gravity driven device but given further thought the 'running out of steam' still works as a colloquialism.

Interesting. As I think about that as it relates to this particular thread my mind drifts back over the last year of workshopping here. I would have to say that a good percentage of what we throw up here falls squarely into that category. But there are definitely a few golden nuggets as well.

I'm still glad that anything goes here and that folks have the courage to put their early efforts out for all to see and comment on.....that's what we do here.wave.gif

Oh, btw, stickboy.......how many of those quasi-poetic tunes of yours have you placed commercially again?cool.gif

• Members

I think the song is good and have no doubt that when you flesh this out, it'll be up to par with anything else you've done. And I love this line: First you have the ups and downs and then the inbetween

The song resonates because today, I came into work to find out that a co-worker who was a supreme loner passed away yesterday. She was an odd-bird through and through... in fact, my interactions with her were rather uncomfortable because of her behavior, which in-turn led to her loner lifestyle (or maybe it was the other way around... who knows?) Regardless, she was apparently so alone, that her second cousin called her boss and asked him to write the obituary. There was no one else to do it.

• Members

I love it. A few tweeks are needed, but I enjoyed listening to this. Firstly, I'd set it to ballad form - AABA.

If you're lonely
Only to find
I am never in your arms
And never on your mind

If you're lonely
If you don't see (This is where things start to feel a bit slow and pointless, maybe engage the listener with some interesting imagery.)
When I leave

I'd repeat that last line of the B section or something for hook/emphasis. I'd then repeat the first verse.

• Members

I love it. A few tweeks are needed, but I enjoyed listening to this. Firstly, I'd set it to ballad form - AABA.

If you're lonely
Only to find
I am never in your arms
And never on your mind

If you're lonely
If you don't see (This is where things start to feel a bit slow and pointless, maybe engage the listener with some interesting imagery.)
When I leave

I'd repeat that last line of the B section or something for hook/emphasis. I'd then repeat the first verse.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LordBTY View Post

If you're lonely
Only to find
I am never in your arms
And never on your mind

If you're lonely
When I leave

Thanks man - I realise this is still in its very early form. Do you think a repition of the first verse will be enough? I was thinking a second verse to move things along a little, maybe a middle 8 and final chorus (I am considering maybe using "life is like a carousel, spinning out of time....." for the 2nd chorus)

• Moderators

I love the rhyme scheme thing you've got going. I love "forever" into the the two "nevers". Lonely is the only thing you know is really great. It feels like you might want to really highlight that line. To make that a real payoff.

The thing I like less, are some of the note choice. The arc of the melody totally works for me, but certain notes feel a little too like I know where you're going with them before and as they occur. I think not resolving might have an interesting effect that fits with the theme. for instance...

If you're lonely (beautiful)
Then it seems you do not know me (on "know me, you go to the root of the IV chord. What key? If you're in C, you go to the F of your F chord. That feels a bit too comfy for what you're singing. Why not try using the same notes as the above "lonely", (the chord changes but your melody stays the same as the line above)) creating a little tension in that line against the chord?)
I've been hanging round forever (Great, it captures and reinforces the lyric)
Only to find (I know you're still searching a little here but I like it, it's sad sounding)
I was never in your arms (love it except for "arms". Arms feels like you're resorting to an easy and stock turn around melody without any suspension. I'd go with a real acher of a note choice. If in C, try the notes ar(E....) -rms(F...)
I was never on your mind (now this line's melody will feel right with a n ice trad melodic tie up)

Just some food for thought. I like what you've got. It feels nicely traditional. And sad.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I love the rhyme scheme thing you've got going. I love "forever" into the the two "nevers". Lonely is the only thing you know is really great. It feels like you might want to really highlight that line. To make that a real payoff.

The thing I like less, are some of the note choice. The arc of the melody totally works for me, but certain notes feel a little too like I know where you're going with them before and as they occur. I think not resolving might have an interesting effect that fits with the theme. for instance...

If you're lonely (beautiful)
Then it seems you do not know me (on "know me, you go to the root of the IV chord. What key? If you're in C, you go to the F of your F chord. That feels a bit too comfy for what you're singing. Why not try using the same notes as the above "lonely", (the chord changes but your melody stays the same as the line above)) creating a little tension in that line against the chord?)
I've been hanging round forever (Great, it captures and reinforces the lyric)
Only to find (I know you're still searching a little here but I like it, it's sad sounding)
I was never in your arms (love it except for "arms". Arms feels like you're resorting to an easy and stock turn around melody without any suspension. I'd go with a real acher of a note choice. If in C, try the notes ar(E....) -rms(F...)
I was never on your mind (now this line's melody will feel right with a n ice trad melodic tie up)

Just some food for thought. I like what you've got. It feels nicely traditional. And sad.
Great - thanks for this. I think I am now doing what you suggest for line 2 melody by instinct so thats a keeper - the other things I will try.

I haven't come back to this one properly yet, when i do I will hopefully just get it all sewn up in one go, then do a rough tracking and repost for ideas

Thanks again people

• Members

Ok here is another ROUGH live demo (not off a phone this time) hopefully it sorts the melody a little

I am still no further with the writing stage but once I have this locked in then the words should come quick.

I think it needs to be slightly faster , I may go for this kind of recording but done properly and with extra musical elements/vocals

http://soundcloud.com/stickboy/if-yo...ely-very-rough

• Members

It is better and I agree a couple ticks faster would help but now the melody is coming together better for me.

Like a roller coaster running out of steam may have mixed metaphor's but still it woks.

You added some more verse lines at the end that sound good and in the same vein but I didn't seem them in your post....Good going!

Archived