Lyrics to A Cold Winters day

tony333

• Members

These are the lyrics to a song I have been working on. Still trying to get the chord changes down. Let me know what you think. To me it seems like it might be a little disjointed and I either need to add a verse or lose one. Anyway-

V1

Had all the reasons
But I didn't have rhyme
Winters the season
With the longest if night

Knew all the pleasures
But it wasn't no fun
I killed a man
For a life on the run

So I headed West
With no plan and no trade
Where only the wind
Could call me by name

A place of no memories
No friends or no foes
To drift into ether
Like whisps from a ghost

C1

The gallows is calling
I'm a dead man they say
For the heat of a moment
On a cold winters day

V2

When I got to Shreveport
Thought I was clean
So I headed down
To the town of Orleans

Took to the docks
Loading cotton and cane
Never to see
Sweet Virginia again

Days they were long
Nights they were hard
No rest for the wicked
Or a soul that's been scarred

Tried to repent
For the thing that I done
Regrets I have many
Hope I have none

C1

V3

So I settled in
To a life as not me
Barrooms and shadows
Cotton and cane

Heard she could take
The demons from dreams
So I went to find
A French Creole Queen

Rattled the bones
Rum did we drink
And devils below
Did both if us speak

Faith it was tested
Feeling did wane
Weren't any spirits
Just one man to blame

C1

V4

From the sin I committed
Could not escape
Thoughts were filled
Of that dying mans face

I tried to drown them
With bourbon and gin
But judgement and jury
Came from within

Alone I did travel
Alone I will die
No entrance for me
Through gates in the sky

Mind it was battered
Spirit was broke
The gallows it came
At the end if my rope

The gallows it came
At the end if my rope

C2

The gallows it called
I'm a dead man they say

Sorry for the length. Let me know.

• Members

Hey, Tony

Sounds like you have a solid murder ballad here. As you note, it does look a little long on the page -- if it still feels that way when there's music under it, you could probably lose a few verses that don't contribute as directly as some of the others, people fill in gaps in songs -- in fact, that may be part of the fun for some.

I think there might be a couple of typos, I noticed the word if in a few places it didn't seem to belong. I'm thinking it should have been 'end of my rope,' for instance. And if seems to have snuck into the fourth line of the first verse where no word was semantically needed. But I just worked around them. (And, heaven knows, I'm always finding typos in the lyrics of songs I posted to my personal blog, so, you know, don't feel like any kind of lone ranger, there.)

Now, it can be difficult judging meter of a song without the music. I do have some minor concerns that you might have to do some creative use of rests and melisma to get some of the lyrical rhythms to work out.

With regard to the ballad itself, I'm not certain the current flow of the story maintains impact and delivers quite the right emotional arc. (Something to think about if you tighten it up, edit it down.) A ballad, after all, is like any other story, you want to build a sense of empathy on some level for the character(s) so that folks will want to find out how things turn out. (Of course, the ending is often foretold in the chorus/refrain, but, if done right, that's part of the fun.)

Seems like you've got a good start! thumb.gif

• Members

Thank you. I typed that from a mobile device with auto spell. I do not know why it always picks if instead of of.

When I sing it out loud the lyrics actually fit pretty well. Trying to find the right chords to make it work. I am a novice player at best.

I almost feel as though I could lose verse about the "French Creole Queen" and give more back story earlier.

Thanks again.

• Members

I think its pretty good.
If you are planning on shortening it, I'd leave the Creole Queen and the bones section. I think it adds colour to the story.
The verses are really 8 lines each, although you have set them out as 16 lines.
How about reducing them from 8 to 6 lines each.

Archived