Lyrics to A Cold Winters day

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyrics to A Cold Winters day

These are the lyrics to a song I have been working on. Still trying to get the chord changes down. Let me know what you think. To me it seems like it might be a little disjointed and I either need to add a verse or lose one. Anyway-

Had all the reasons

But I didn't have rhyme

Winters the season

With the longest if night

Knew all the pleasures

But it wasn't no fun

I killed a man

For a life on the run

So I headed West

With no plan and no trade

Where only the wind

Could call me by name

A place of no memories

No friends or no foes

To drift into ether

Like whisps from a ghost

The gallows is calling

I'm a dead man they say

For the heat of a moment

On a cold winters day

When I got to Shreveport

Thought I was clean

So I headed down

To the town of Orleans

Took to the docks

Loading cotton and cane

Never to see

Sweet Virginia again

Days they were long

Nights they were hard

No rest for the wicked

Or a soul that's been scarred

Tried to repent

For the thing that I done

Regrets I have many

Hope I have none

So I settled in

To a life as not me

Barrooms and shadows

Cotton and cane

Heard she could take

The demons from dreams

So I went to find

A French Creole Queen

Rattled the bones

Rum did we drink

And devils below

Did both if us speak

Faith it was tested

Feeling did wane

Weren't any spirits

Just one man to blame

From the sin I committed

Could not escape

Thoughts were filled

Of that dying mans face

I tried to drown them

With bourbon and gin

But judgement and jury

Came from within

Alone I did travel

Alone I will die

No entrance for me

Through gates in the sky

Mind it was battered

Spirit was broke

The gallows it came

At the end if my rope

The gallows it came

At the end if my rope

The gallows it called

I'm a dead man they say

Sorry for the length. Let me know.

Hey, Tony

Sounds like you have a solid murder ballad here. As you note, it does look a little long on the page -- if it still feels that way when there's music under it, you could probably lose a few verses that don't contribute as directly as some of the others, people fill in gaps in songs -- in fact, that may be part of the fun for some.

I think there might be a couple of typos, I noticed the word if in a few places it didn't seem to belong. I'm thinking it should have been 'end of my rope,' for instance. And if seems to have snuck into the fourth line of the first verse where no word was semantically needed. But I just worked around them. (And, heaven knows, I'm always finding typos in the lyrics of songs I posted to my personal blog, so, you know, don't feel like any kind of lone ranger, there.)

Now, it can be difficult judging meter of a song without the music. I do have some minor concerns that you might have to do some creative use of rests and melisma to get some of the lyrical rhythms to work out.

With regard to the ballad itself, I'm not certain the current flow of the story maintains impact and delivers quite the right emotional arc. (Something to think about if you tighten it up, edit it down.) A ballad, after all, is like any other story, you want to build a sense of empathy on some level for the character(s) so that folks will want to find out how things turn out. (Of course, the ending is often foretold in the chorus/refrain, but, if done right, that's part of the fun.)

Seems like you've got a good start!

music and social stuff | currently listening to...

Thank you. I typed that from a mobile device with auto spell. I do not know why it always picks if instead of of.

When I sing it out loud the lyrics actually fit pretty well. Trying to find the right chords to make it work. I am a novice player at best.

I almost feel as though I could lose verse about the "French Creole Queen" and give more back story earlier.

Thanks again.

I think its pretty good.

If you are planning on shortening it, I'd leave the Creole Queen and the bones section. I think it adds colour to the story.

The verses are really 8 lines each, although you have set them out as 16 lines.

How about reducing them from 8 to 6 lines each.
        'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.