Friday Influences Thread! Hey! It's 01-04-2013!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

And in a completely different vein...

I was driving back from Folsom and tuned in an oldies station. I've always thought Marvin was a god. Since I was a little kid, he's been at the top on my personal favorites list. I gotta pretty good handle on how Heard Through the Grapevine goes. We all do, right? God, I played it for years in cover bands as well. So... Grapevine comes on and I'm singing along. I know this tune inside and out. Every riff, so I thought. I mean, Marvin! Every phrase is different. You don't hear it as being different or dropping the repetition too much, I mean, these are pop songs. But every phrase is different with the man. Grapevine smokes, I just forgot how much it does.

So let's listen to Ain't That Peculiar! GREAT MIX TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT ARRANGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then there's Marvin!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
Ohhh I LOVE Sondre Lerche

Here is one of my faves - just love the ending
No wonder! This sounds like it could be a stickboy original!

You're two peas in a pod...

• Members

I'm infamous (in my my own mind, anyhow) as the guy who sat out the British Invasion of the early 60s listening to folk, jazz, and classical because he was too sophisticated for teen music.

One of the early experiences that turned me off to the Brit Invasion bands was deciding that those Beatles guys could write a prettty good song, but they couldn't perform them. This impression eased somewhat over the early 60s but it took me a long time to get past it.

Lately, I've been taking advantage of the peculiar phenom of full albums on YouTube (with all the songs time-marked and linked) and revisiting the Beatles records -- almost all of which I own on vinyl but not, with one exception, a gift, on CD.

A lot of that has been fun. In some cases, it's been really nice hearing old faves again. In others, I can't get skip to the next track fast enough. (This latter phenom is mostly on the latter albums which were over-exposed beyond death here in LA on the radio. So far, there's nothing from Abbey Road or the White Album that I've heard that I wanted to hear. Instant burnt out annoyance, even 2 and 3 decades later.

Other stuff, though, has been kind of nice. For instance, I was thinking there were only a couple tracks of Magical Mystery Tour that I liked -- but, in reality, there were a number. "Blue Jay Way," in particular kills me. And, over-exposed or not, I have to say that hearing Sgt Pepper's again after many, many years was actually very nice. I really do like a number of tracks on it.

But let's get back to that first impression... that the Beatles couldn't sing or play very well... first the 'proof'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJwwLcV3KY

... and then the explanation (from The Source of All Truth)...

In order for the album to contain fourteen songs (the norm for British 12"
pop albums at that time was to have seven songs on each side, while American albums usually had only five or six songs per side) ten more tracks were needed to add to the four sides of their first two singles recorded and released previously. Therefore, at 10:00 am on Monday, 11 February 1963, the Beatles and
started recording what was essentially their live act in 1963, and finished 585 minutes later (9 hours and 45 minutes).
In three sessions that day (each lasting approximately three hours) they produced an authentic representation of the band's
-era sound, as there were very few overdubs and edits. Optimistically, only two sessions were originally booked by Martin

• Moderators
574962p.jpg

I got my daughter one of ^these^ for Christmas. And of course I went through the vinyl over at Lou's Records of Encinitas and picked out a little starter stack of mid 70's goodness. It's hard not leaning toward your personal old faves. Elton's early debut, The Knack for a hoot, a Jim Croce album I loved as a kid. Anyway, we've all returned from our trips and the record player gets it's first workout tonight in her room. I walk by and hear this. One of my favorite guilty pleasures from'75. I wore my vinyl out on this one. And there she was, sitting cross legged on the floor looking at the grooves spin. And listening to this... I joined her. I loved it again. Still...

• Moderators

Steve Earle, from the closing credits of Leaves of Grass.

Lonely are the free
'Cause there ain't that many of them
They don't walk like you and me

They just tumble in the breeze
Lighter than a feather
All together, separately

That's how it's s'posed to be
No matter where they wander
From post to in between,
From here to over yonder,
There's no place for them to land
Lonely are the free

The silent are the strong
Not so much as a whisper
Tells you anything is wrong

You've known all along,
But you can't help but listen
And now the moment's gone.

It keeps you hanging on
Until the stillness signaling
The breaking of the dawn,
Is shattered by the sirens
Singing sacrificial songs

The silent are the strong.

That's all they used to see
A violent shadow passing 'cross
The sun so fleetingly
That if you have to ask you miss it
Anyway you see
Lonely are the free
Lonely are the free

• Members

For umpteen reasons already (too many to list) this is my favorite "Friday Influences." Thanks to all of you. As a follow-up album to his "Tumbleweed Connection" (above) Elton John recorded my favorite of his albums (that you never heard-of) -- an orchestral masterpiece arranged by Paul Buckmaster -- the 38 minute soundtrack for the movie FRIENDS (starring no one you ever heard of) that came and went from theatres in record time.

Today it's found only on the "Masters" compilation CD, but suddenly it's there, the entire album at YouTube. My favorite Elton John songs. Okay, I never was one to go with the crowd (can you tell?) Listen to the first few tracks at least. See what you missed in 1970!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1TESAfxBU

p.s. latest "comment" at YouTube. A Lee Knight 'kindred spirit.'

posted by SuluSuluSulu 7 hours ago
I bought this album at a used record store over 20 years ago based only on the cover and played? the crap out of it. This christmas I bought myself a turntable... this album is on it.

p.p.s. Apparently we missed seeing a good movie too!

wa6mhz 1 month ago
This movie was probably the most influential in my 60 year history. I still remember it to this day. Every scene, every? song. WOW, what a show!

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
For umpteen reasons already (too many to list) this is my favorite "Friday Influences." Thanks to all of you. As a follow-up album to his "Tumbleweed Connection" (above) Elton John recorded my favorite of his albums (that you never heard-of) -- an orchestral masterpiece arranged by Paul Buckmaster -- the 38 minute soundtrack for the movie FRIENDS (starring no one you ever heard of) that came and went from theatres in record time.

Today it's found only on the "Masters" compilation CD, but suddenly it's there, the entire album at YouTube. My favorite Elton John songs. Okay, I never was one to go with the crowd (can you tell?) Listen to the first few tracks at least. See what you missed in 1970!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1TESAfxBU

p.s. latest "comment" at YouTube. A Lee Knight 'kindred spirit.'

posted by SuluSuluSulu 7 hours ago
I bought this album at a used record store over 20 years ago based only on the cover and played? the crap out of it. This christmas I bought myself a turntable... this album is on it.

p.p.s. Apparently we missed seeing a good movie too!

wa6mhz 1 month ago
This movie was probably the most influential in my 60 year history. I still remember it to this day. Every scene, every? song. WOW, what a show!
'
In a cool recent interview with Elton he was asked, "What do you see as overlooked in your catalog? That you want others to enjoy..." He was so quick to answer. "Friends!" I'm looking forward to digging onto that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
Marc Benno, was partners with Leon Russell, played on The Doors' LA Woman LP.

He made some LPs of his own in the 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2D01RGwDag

I've always loved the Asylum Choir's couple of albums, more, really, than most of Leon's much more popular solo stuff.

I love this album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OF6BmIzM3A

I think the thing I like best about the album (basically a convocation of studio cats in LA) is the sense of ironic detachment from the LA hipster scene. Russel, in particular, seems to bring an uber-arch take on LA life.

In the mid-late 70s I was hanging out with some (other) Tulsa ex-pats (who were also making their living in the LA studio scene as hired guns, although one of them became a permanent member of Chaka Khan's Rufus after a while) and their take on LA life and the mega-rich rock stars they had to work for was priceless.*

Talk about Upstairs Downstairs.

* That said, they clearly had real respect for some of the veteran troupers. I remember one of the guys talking me and my then-GF into coming down to the Cocanut Grove in the late 70s to see the resurrected Kingston Trio when he was in their backup band. It wasn't really my brand of folk but they were total pros and put on a solid, entertaining show.

Speaking of Leon and Elton... I stumbled across their recent duo album. Seems Elton didn't think a guy like Leon should be wasting away in retirement and was the impetus for the album. Some of it's pretty cool.

• Members

It was the last 'cover' song The Beatles recorded. Remember who wrote it?

I have two (expensive) magazines commemorating The Beatles' 50th anniversary but neither one dwells on this track (released on their "Beatles for Sale" LP) which was written (words & music) almost a decade earlier, by Buddy Holly. They met Elvis and were blown away by the experience of getting to "jam" with 'The King.' But their real musical hero -- the first great singer/songwriter whose words and tunes they idolized was Buddy Holly.

As a budding guitarist whose hero was Chet Atkins (then 17) I remember wondering how George Harrison got that Rickenbacker 12-string treble-y sound on his Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, as he tried to replicate Buddy Holly's original catchy riff on a Fender Strat.

The accompanying video for this version at YouTube summons up memories of a time when everyone it seems smoked (but just tobacco) and airliners had lots more room, recording engineering had a long way to go and . . . well, dig the memories.

[i think, had he lived to hear it, Buddy would have said this was the best-ever 'cover' of any of his (four) hits of 1957.]

• Members

When Mr Blackburn was 17, I was also, and Buddy Holly's music had featured in my life for the previous 5 years.
But 1964 was a significant year in that I had been in my 1st band doing instrumentals for a few months, when the others pushed me forward to be the singer.
The 1st song I ever sang to an audience at a Saturday night dance was this one :

Archived