The Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles

oldgitplayer

• Members

I bought this book about a month ago, and my initial reason for purchase has turned out to be valid.
It is turning out to be a useful way of layering on to my current musical knowledge because I can already play 90% of the Beatles catalogue.

I was already in a band in 1964 when the Beatles 1st album was put in my hand by our lead guitarist, because he thought there might be a few songs I could work out and we could play.
Well there were, and every year I subsequently purchased the 2 albums per year that they released.
By imitation I must have imbibed a great deal from these creative lads, but this book lays out the hows and the whys so that I am beginning to understand a lot more of what I do.

It's great to learn something more about what you already do, rather than shovel in music theory and hope to retain it. It helps to have an existing frame of reference.

So if anybody plays a lot of the Beatles songs, this is a book I can recommend for furthering your understanding of music generally, and breaking the rules with ease.

• Members

You don't need a hardware Kindle to buy e-books in that format. You can download a Kindle app for your desktop computer or your mobile.

BTW, since $35 may strike some as an unconscionable price for an e-book, they may want to check out some of the contents first. You can use the Look-Inside feature on Amazon to view the intro, first chapter and some or all of the second. Looks like lots of good info in just that. Not that I'm necessarily encouraging free-loading lookieloos. biggrin.gif

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
You don't need a hardware Kindle to buy e-books in that format. You can download a Kindle app for your desktop computer or your mobile.

BTW, since $35 may strike some as an unconscionable price for an e-book, they may want to check out some of the contents first. You can use the Look-Inside feature on Amazon to view the intro, first chapter and some or all of the second. Looks like lots of good info in just that. Not that I'm necessarily encouraging free-loading lookieloos. biggrin.gif
That is steep!

I have a Nook and I've found, as much as I love eReaders, I really don't enjoy this type of book in "e" form. A lot of important graphics tend to get rendered way too small and eReaders so far do not offer resize options for their graphic elements. So I get my music and computer graphics manuals in paper form.

smile.gif Especially when they're asking so much for the Kindle/.pdf etc. version. smile.gif I think I will check out the "Look Inside" though and if it looks good, buy the Brit hard copy.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What a fantastic book. Just the chapter on the V chord makes you rethink everything you take for granted in the power and beauty of the simple of V7 turnaround. Very, very clear, simple and insightful analysis. No puffed up chests here, just an honest appreciation, understanding, and love of sharing some of that Beatles magic.

I've honestly never seen anything like it.

Archived