Friday Influences Thread, 2013-01-25 (Jan 25, 2013)

blue2blue

• Members

The 808 and the 909 are much more like each other than they are like acoustic drums. They are both "one-trick-ponys": acoustic drums can be lots of things but the 808 and 909 are a specific musical flavor. Still, the 808 and 909 have such strong cultural references that they bring a lot with them beyond the somewhat narrow musical function. I associate the 808 with second generation hip-hop, contemporary black culture, smoking a blunt and bobbing your head. I associate the 909 with electronica, white culture, taking ecstasy, wearing a neon glow stick and doing aerobics style dance moves.

The electronic kick has less attack, a resonant decay, longer sustain and very smooth release - "doo" rather than "thud". The 808 is pitched quite low - I usually hi-pass around 50hz but I'll go down to 35hz if I'm using an 808. The electronic opened/closed hat doesn't have much going on between the attack and the release - "ti-ck" rather than "ch-ew". The 909 toms are very distinctive and somewhat higher pitched - "deeeew" - and are the biggest difference/improvement over the 808 kit. I don't use toms much in my drumming, but I haven't found a way to make the 808 toms usable at all; in the Steely Dan track I replaced the 808 toms with congas.

A couple of examples.

This is going to be part of a hip-hop style mashup/remix (along with some De La Soul and Buddy Holly) so I wanted the 808 to make what is otherwise a rock/bossa nova track fit the hip-hop genre.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12125927

This one started out as a strummy rock acoustic guitar track, but I wanted to move away from that, so I used a 909 to give it an electronica feel (as well as replacing the guitar with a dreamier Rhodes).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11843940

I use the FL Studio FPC for my 808/909 needs, but ReBirth-338 from Propellerheads is also a good implementation, and is availble as free download from Propellerheads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBirth_RB-338

• Members

Hmm, my name has changed for some strange reason. Anyways...

I heard this for the first time this morning and it is kicking my ass right now in a good way. The video is pretty damn cool too. Make sure you watch to the end (or at least skip to the end).

• Members

I've always liked Tom Petty's quirky songwriting.  For some reason, the Powers That Be decided that he was a has-been some time back in the 90's.  However, I think some of his best work has come in recent years.  Here is one off of the Mojo album from a couple of years ago:

I also dig a lot of the songs off of his Highway Companion album from the mid 2000's:

• Members

Monkey Uncle wrote:

I've always liked Tom Petty's quirky songwriting.  For some reason, the Powers That Be decided that he was a has-been some time back in the 90's.  However, I think some of his best work has come in recent years.  Here is one off of the Mojo album from a couple of years ago:

I like that a lot. Simple, pure roots music. Very nicely done.

Elvis Costello seems to want to do that with these songs -- which I like -- but complicates things as he is wont to do.

This is from 2009.

And this one from 2010.

• Moderators

blue2blue wrote:

Lee appears to be busy elsewhere, so I'll jump in...

Anything musically influence you in the last week, the last year, the last century?

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM...

So sorry Blue! At NAMM, I found out for some reason I couldn't login here with my iPhone. No worries, my friend brought his Mac laptop. Mine or his laptop? "Hey I'll bring mine and you feel free..." The hotel, the wonderfully Disney Portifino, next door to the Anaheim convention center and Cross the street from Disney, HAD NO WIFI. Wha? But they have a CAT5 in each room. And we have a Mac without that hookup are you freaking kidding me? That's both to Mr.. Jobs and the wonderful Portifino.

So, no notice from me, no soon after note to you guys. Nothing. So sorry. This is as soon as it gets under the circumstances. My sincere aplogies.

So, my inspiration this week?

Well, what wasn't an inspiration? One realization and a bit of an epiphany for me was... brace yourselves... :) a quote from Joe Solo, developer/producer of Macy Gray, Fergie, and as a songwriter: countless placements with everybody huge and happening, everywhere and everything... phew, I'm toast after this weekend, what was I saying? The quote! Oh yeah...

What are the ingredients of a song that "makes it".

That'd be the three H's. Honest, Hooky, with Humanity.

The flash for me was, at this songwriting panel, all of this panel of HUGE writer/producers, Keith Urban's hits, Justin Beiber's huge career making hit Baby, Avril Lavine, Neil Young's producer, just on and on, the flash was...

"Hey, man, it's just music."

That in the context of justifying Neil Young's producer's input along side the head of music placement for the world's largest video game conglomerate. And Bieber's writer... and then there was the queen of Disney pop writing. And modern hit R & B. All there agreeing on one thing. 

That for a "shallow" pop song, or a song you see a being placed in a movie or TV show, or for a more mature artist to notice your submission, to be noticed and succeed, aside from the back doors available to some, a song needs to operate on a level that is honest, has engaging hooks, and has an indefinable, yet completely understandable and relatable, humanity to it.

Well said Mr. Solo. And thank you very, very... much.

• Moderators

Oh... and seeing these guys performing after 40 freaking years of the original release and only being BETTER than when they first cut it. Absolutely no hyperbole. They can KILL live, and really did at the main stage at NAMM. Minus Carlos' guest appearance of course, but believe me, it... SMOKED. Smiley smiles everywhere.

My smile the biggest of them all...

• Members

Sam Bean aka Iron & Wine is for a recent generation, one of the artists whose songs you copy while learning to play acoustic guitar when you're supposed to be studying for an exam.  Like Cat Stevens or James Taylor for my generation.

His acoustic playing follows a whole lot of the old folkie/Donovan/Simon & Garfunkel picking and fretting moves that are simple and poignant.  

I like him and listening to him makes me want to play my acoustic in that old dreamy fashion - and he's a huge icon for my 20-something son and daughter and their buddies.  And he lives just down the way - you go down 290 west and pass near Willie's ranch on the way to Dripping Springs where Mr. Beam abides.

Archived