This year's RPM Challenge...

blue2blue

• Moderators

It sounds... fun? :) I think the only way I'd personally attempt this was if I wasn't working and I had a full band at my disposal like the old days. Otherwise, I'd die of overwork. There are times in the past when I've been on thata much of a roll but... right now is not one of them. Good luck and ha ve fun!

• Members

I did a song-a-day for a month, and recorded each song, but they weren't album-quality songs.  I've never done this one.  Seems fairly reasonable (a day to write, a day to record, a day to mix for each song, more or less), but it's certainly not happening for me this year.  We're moving to a new house, getting our old house ready to rent out, I'm finishing a semester at work and beginning a new semester in school.  Also, my band is working on an album.  But I'd encourage anyone to try this sort of thing.

• Members

I've done a couple of them. I did it last February (it was covers, not originals, so it didn't count for the RPM). I wanted to finish 12 songs (the Skinny Tie stuff) and I got 8 done in Feb and then finished to other 4 in Mar.

The one with Chicken Monkey was just leads over backing tracks (the original Woodshed Tapes stuff) and I think there were 20 or so.

There is his guy over at Musesmuse (Wolf Kier) who was doing one in Nov and wound up with 3 albums of material.

• Members

I'd consider if a noble failure if I got a couple new songs out of it. 

But it's so different than what I usually do that I'd kind of like the challenge. I set myself recorded song-a-day challenges before, but never a songwriting challenge. To be honest, I haven't had a lot of personal luck with hustling the muses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just signed up. 

My writing slump has just been going on too long. 

It's not a requirement of the RPM Challenge that all the songs be written in February, but, for me, that's really the draw.

Let's hope I can get by without doinga bunch of sloppily hasty acoustic versions of old songs in the waning hours of February 28th.

Which would parallel how I wrote 95% of my papers in school.

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

Which would parallel how I wrote 95% of my papers in school.

Which is still more or less my default position.

My rationalisation is that there is a likelihood of bringing greater knowledge and experience to the solution of a task if it is carried out at the last moment before it is required.

Archived