New forum ware tips...

blue2blue

• Members

[TIPS ONLY. Bugs and suggestions are best addressed in the Feedback forum for the whole site.]

First, if you feel like the text is too faint, even if the size is OK with you, try changing the default text size in your user prefs...

My Settings / Preferences / Display...

You'll see Text Size (currently third settings cluster down). The default is Medium. Try Large.

If you don't like the blue sidebars (and many don't), consider using ctrl-scroll wheel to zoom the page until the main page bleeds the edges. (In Firefox, you may want to turn off Zoom Text Only). I thought it was a bit silly when I first saw it suggested -- and it really makes things big on my wide screen, but it actually is much nicer than the sidebars, which are fatiguing -- as I recognize in their absence.

Horizontal Scrolling -- a feature not a bug. =/  A fix-it ticket has been issued and the guilty are burning midnight oil. In the meantime, consider going to HTML view. As long as you use straight text, it's somewhat readable -- and it wraps properly. Also the Quick Reply (which only uses plain text) works.

Posting a Reply leaves you in the thread location where you clicked the Reply button -- not at the end of the thread where you expect it. It has been reported although there seems to be some discussion as to what the actual behavior is. I assume it will be sorted when folks have a better chance to test.

Also -- since there appears to be no way to get an email notification of a personal message -- anyone who needs to get hold of me in a timely fashion (in my moderator function) might want to consider using the contact form on my business site: http://www.tkmajor.com/cm/contact/

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

First, if you feel like the
text is too faint
, even if the size is OK with you, try changing the default text size in your user prefs...

My Settings / Preferences / Display...

You'll see Text Size (currently third settings cluster down). The default is Medium. Try
Large

If you don't like the
blue sidebars
(and many don't), consider using
ctrl-scroll wheel
to
zoom
the page until the main page bleeds the edges. (In Firefox, you may want to turn off Zoom Text Only).

Horizontal Scrolling 
-- a feature not a bug. =/  A
fix-it ticket
has been issued and the guilty are burning midnight oil. In the meantime, consider going to
HTML
view
. As long as you use straight text, it's perfectly readable -- and it wraps properly. Also the Quick Reply (which only uses plain text) works.

Posting a
leaves you in the thread location where you clicked the
button -- not at the end of the thread where you expect it. It has been reported although there seems to be some discussion as to what the actual behavior is. I assume it will be sorted when folks have a better chance to test.

Thanks blue, I'm now trying the large size. Too bad the print isn't darker. Hey, I just figured it out, change the color. Spread the word, that should take care of the color print issue

• Members

LOL.

To be sure, I was using black or dark gray on my posts for a while. (But the black [like the gray only more obious] looks smudgy with my built in fonts). The large font for me is sharper. (And when I combine that with the zoom, the resulting font is very sleek. And big enough to make a first grader feel right at home, Jane said.)

• Members

Here's a Chrome plugin that will automatically restyle the new HC to make it arguably easier on the eyes and easier to use...

Let It Burn... wrote:

I messed around a bit with Stylebot and got this:

Schermafbeelding 2013-01-18 om 19.39.27.png

Schermafbeelding 2013-01-18 om 19.47.38.png

Looks a lot more useable IMO.

How to do it:

1. Download Google Chrome on
www.google.com/chrome

2. Install the Stylebot Plugin: 
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha

3. Go to this page and select "Install style in Stylebot" from the upper right corner 
http://stylebot.me/styles/2054

I need to keep my browser stock for testing purposes, or I'd probably install this.

Of course, it doesn't fix the problem with way-too-shortened thread titles. THAT is perhaps the single most perplexing 'issue' with HC3.0 from my point of view. 

I mean, even for the customer service purpose Lithium was clearly built for, you STILL need to be able to have enough thread in a title in order to see what the heck the post is about.

Archived