Friday Influences Thread 02-08-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey! You know what to do. And if you don't, just do what you see these guys doing. Yes, you, you too, and you... do it or suffer a sad life of voiceless mediocrity!

Mojo Nixon. He used to open for us. You never knew what Mojo was going to do. Mushroom Maniac, Jesus at McDonald's, Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant with My Two-Headed Love Child, Don Henley Must Die... the guy was and is very funny. One thing ws for sure, the crowd was always good and ready to rock if he opened.

Once, as I was leaving a music store with some sort of nonsense to put in my bass rig or something, I say hey Mojj and grabs my shoulder WAY harder than you might imagine and shouts, "HEY FORNICATOR!!! That's not a DRUM MACHINE is it?!?!?!?!? Better not be HEATHEN!!!!"

As we were forming Joey Harris and The Speedsters (1983), a New Wavish guitar pop group signed to MCA, he walks up and says, "Ol' Mojo plays guitar now don't forget." We laughed later. But we were wrong. He went on to play the drummer in the Great Balls of Fire movie. He was an MTV personality, a radio host, and a ever present fixture on the San Diego Scene. And funny as all #$%^. It ain't deep but it is Mojo.

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

Ha ^^^ those guys rock! :)

One of my bass playing heroes highlighted here. Bruce Thomas from Costello's 80's band The Attractions. Clearly Paul McCartney inspired but sounding nothing like him. This guy in this video copping Thomas' line? That was me in the 80's. I had them all copied. And I'll tell ya, it's one thing to cop a line and a very different beast to write it. Bruce Thomas knew chord theory and did things on bass beyond category because of his adventurous but so right chordal sensibilities. That is songwriting too. Dig this...

• Members

Americana - a genre for folks who have difficulty admitting they like some country music.

Jason Isbell was a founding member of the Drive By Truckers before venturing off on his own endeavors.  This song has a nice lilt, and some memorable lines.

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

Americana - a genre for folks who have difficulty admitting they like some country music.

Jason Isbell was a founding member of the Drive By Truckers before venturing off on his own endeavors.  This song has a nice lilt, and some memorable lines.

Yeah, that's a good one. Rhino and Chicken Monkey are both fans as well.

Archived