New WIP - A song about a writer

oldgitplayer

• Members

I think I want to tell a story about a writer who sticks to what he believes in and doesn't buckle under the pressure of commercial publishers telling him what sells and how he should change his work etc...

He self-publishes an e-book which sells magnificently.

I need to decide on an angle, so if anyone knows of any other songs that deal with this subject matter, I'd be grateful if you would post them, so that I can familiarise myself with them and don't cover the same ground.

Here's the 1st snippet of the idea:

And when you fill your life

With commercial compromise

Somewhere in your world

The unborn artist dies

• Members

I can just hear the end of the chorus, "Eeeeeeee-book Wri-tuh!"

= D

I like the lines in OGP's OP as a theme for the song, but they seem a little on-the-nose for actual lines. I'm thinking slip that message in there between the lines and the listener will be a little more involved -- and flattered that the songwriter gave him credit for sussing out the meaning...

• Members

oldgitplayer wrote:

I think I want to tell a story about a writer who sticks to what he believes in and doesn't buckle under the pressure of commercial publishers telling him what sells and how he should change his work etc...

He self-publishes an e-book which sells magnificently.

I need to decide on an angle, so if anyone knows of any other songs that deal with this subject matter, I'd be grateful if you would post them, so that I can familiarise myself with them and don't cover the same ground.

Here's the 1st snippet of the idea:

And when you fill your life

With commercial compromise

Somewhere in your world

The unborn artist dies

I find it hard to believe that the ebook sells magnificently.

If the ebook sold 100 copies I have some back burner ideas from a notion I have provisionally titled "The Ballad of Uncle Lenny". :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Git -

Nothing wrong with where you are going with this. But I thought you could make this an even bigger idea by dealing with the whole subject of a person compromising their values. The actual part about something he/she writes could be just one verse in a larger story.

There could be a number of resolutions to this. Anger - and he finally does not compromise.  Sadness - he compromised is whole life and then compromised on the way to the grave. To name a couple.

Rick

• Members

rickidoo wrote:

There could be a number of resolutions to this. Anger - and he finally does not compromise.  Sadness - he compromised is whole life and then compromised on the way to the grave. To name a couple.

Rick

Thanks Rick, but I don't think I could write the song you describe without the subject matter being spread to thin.

I want to focus on the creative aspect of the artist being eroded by kowtowing to the Industry.

• Moderators

I like this idea. I'm not crazy about the word commercial, as it has a lot of baggage. I'd say, try this stanza without the word commercial and see how you like it

And maybe, and this is stretching it I realize, instead of the artist, how about an artist. Alluding to the butterfly effect.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

I like this idea. I'm not crazy about the word commercial, as it has a lot of baggage. I'd say, try this stanza without the word commercial and see how you like it

And maybe, and this is stretching it I realize, instead of the artist, how about an artist. Alluding to the butterfly effect.

Yep - I'm only planning to use the line 'the unborn artist dies'. The rest is just the idea.

I don't know what you mean by :  instead of the artist, how about an artist. Alluding to the butterfly effect.

Please elaborate.

At the moment I'm going nowhere with this.

Archived