5 cymbol noises

6 start chord progression softly

7 drums light drumming

8 build #5 until it drowns out #4

9 both parts heavy, heavy drums

10 soft part

11 heavy ending

my advice:

utilize theory, scrap anything that isnt unique and interesting, dont just build for the sake of it, use more dynamics then a giant crescendo, interesting bass parts, (no base quarter notes of scale) apply absolutly every form of music that you find interesting into your work... eliminate excessive repitition... it gets boring to those listening

this is actually my first post in the songwriting, but i was just checking out what was happening and though tmaybe this would be helpful... i bet not

• Members

you know what.

those u listed as do not do's...

well my band has been basing on that to play!

man... no wonder it feels boring.

but i'm pretty unsure abt how to get abt it as u said though.

hmmn?

example perhaps?

thanks for responding

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Members

Bassinflux wrote:

DO NOT follow this formula

1 slow minor arpegiated riff

2 polyphonic second arpegiated riff

3 build for 8

4 more complex version of #1

5 cymbol noises

6 start chord progression softly

7 drums light drumming

8 build #5 until it drowns out #4

9 both parts heavy, heavy drums

10 soft part

11 heavy ending

my advice:

utilize theory, scrap anything that isnt unique and interesting, dont just build for the sake of it, use more dynamics then a giant crescendo, interesting bass parts, (no base quarter notes of scale) apply absolutly every form of music that you find interesting into your work... eliminate excessive repitition... it gets boring to those listening

this is actually my first post in the songwriting, but i was just checking out what was happening and though tmaybe this would be helpful... i bet not

A great first postthumb.gif

Of course... the most important rule is there are no rules, even the rules about not following any rules. wink.gif 

You know... that's rule one. But... rules are made to be broken.

Formulas are tricky because they exist for (various) reasons, not the least of which is that someone believes he has identified characteristics that satisfy a given audience.

But, of course, at the point where one can draw a knowing laugh by rolling through a list of typical formula elements for a given genere, that formula is starting to show some wear.

Still... many basic formulas exist because they do often help deliver the goods.

That said, mash up a couple of formulas from different genres and apply it to a third, and some rock crit might call you a genius.

= D

[but an old first post.  wink.gif]

PS... While writing to a forumla may not be the way to stay fresh and vital, being able to identify the elements of a pop formula can be a very valuable skill.

Archived