Friday Influences Thread - 02-15-13

Lee Knight

• Members

bee3 wrote:

I mentioned Phish in another post.  I was really into these guys mid-late nineties...  

In high school my best friend was a huge Phish fan who repeatedly tried to get me into them to no avail.  I loathed them so much that I'd literally get nauseous when he'd pop in a cassette.

And then he played this one....

I can't say enough about how much this song hit me.  And still does.  I have no idea what the hell the lyrics mean, but there is some powerful feeling that coalesces with them and the music. 

Even after that, I wasn't a Phish fan - just a "Fast Enough" fan - until this really amazing band ripped a terrific version of this tune in my buddies dorm lobby:

Hooked.  Just listen to those drums!  To this day I am blown away at Fishman's approach.  I love the snare use in particular.  All song it comes in only when the song is really getting out of control, to accentuate the chaos, but then it is the snare he rides when it is time to take the song home at 6:45. 

• Moderators

Oswlek wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

I really like this.  No man, I mean I, like,
really
like this.  As in
buy it
like it.

Buy it. The whole album is fantastic. I listened straight through last night stuck in traffic. Here's the opening track. A bit more in your face.

All of your wallowing is unbecoming

You gotta take on your own from here, it's getting pathetic

And I'm almost done... here

• Members

In Blue's songwriting genres thread, I mentioned convoluted story songs.  I immediately thought of this one, one of my all-time favorites.  This was back when Charlie Daniels was still a hippie.  I remember hearing it on a.m. radio when I was in grade school.  I remember my grandmother threatening to change the station when he got to the "damn near died" line.  And I remember the radio station bleeping out "asses" and seven-year-old me trying desperately to figure out what he really said.

Archived