Dead in Here - New updated recording and vid

Oswlek

• Members

Edit:  I posted a vid with a better recording with a touch of mixing (delay, reverb)

OK, here you go, have at it.  I'm not sure if there is anything really here, but it was fun and I find it strangely compelling for something with no obvious hook.

http://picosong.com/nyxi

--------------------------------------

It's dead... dead in here

It's dead.... dead in here

This used to be a place of hope

Where inspiration flowed

It used to be.....

But now I see

It's dead in here

Scattered papers in the dust

Old footprints are all that's left of us

The curtain's drawn....

Our haven's gone

It's dead...  dead in here

----------------------------------------------

On another thread, Blue misread "haven" as "raven" and I'm seriously considering changing it.  I'm also nearly certain I'm misuing the curtain imagery, any ideas to correct?  All other suggestions are welcome, of course.  Encouraged, even (cue Snagglepuss...)

• Members

Oswlek wrote:

Where inspiration flowed

It used to be.....

But now I see

It's dead in here

The curtain's drawn....

Our haven's gone

Very nice. Great guitar work, really nice melody. The lyric is really good too.

I only felt there was one section (in bold) that I felt needed a little more work, but I don't know if you'll agree.

• Members

LCK wrote:

Oswlek wrote:

Where inspiration flowed

It used to be.....

But now I see

It's dead in here

The curtain's drawn....

Our haven's gone

Very nice. Great guitar work, really nice melody. The lyric is really good too.

I only felt there was one section (in bold) that I felt needed a little more work, but I don't know if you'll agree.

Thanks, Lee.

I'm not attached to anything if you have some ideas.  What is it about the lines that you don't like?  The off-kilter rhyme?  Too bland?

• Members

A couple of tiny rough spots, performance-wise, but, overall, very neat, very dreamy. 

And, though this isn't the video forum (there is one wink.gif ), I have to say I really love the look of that vid. 

It has its cake and eats it, too, in terms of being both cool looking and unpretentious.

(It is unnerving that the camera seems to move from time to time, but only from the point of view of someone trying to figure out why it's moving. That doesn't really interfere with the vibe at all. But for ob-com types like myself, the need to know can be overwhelming. = D )

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

A couple of tiny rough spots, performance-wise, but, overall, very neat, very dreamy. 

And, though this isn't the video forum (there is one 
wink.gif
 ), I have to say I 
really
love the look of that vid. 

It has its cake and eats it, too, in terms of being both cool looking 
and
unpretentious.

(It is unnerving that the camera seems to move from time to time, but only from the point of view of someone trying to figure out 
why
it's moving. That doesn't really interfere with the vibe at all. But for ob-com types like myself, the need to know can be overwhelming. = D )

Thanks, Blue.  So there are only a couple of rough spots?  Damn!  I've come a long way!  Live takes used to be one giant rough spot.  :)

Regarding the moving vid, apparently I turned on the motion sensor on the camera, so it reacts if I stray too far from center.  I wish it had some deeper meaning, but that is all there is to it.  :smileyvery-happy:

• Members

rickidoo wrote:

Quite beautiful, as expected.

I know this is result of a song challenge. But it has the making of a good song - not neccersarily with these lyrics per say. Add a hook, and a compelling heartfelt story and it will work quite nicely.

Ha!  This reminds me of a joke my buddy and I used to saying to one another...

"It would be a good song if you just change the melody a little, maybe tweaked the lyrics here and there, got a new singer and switched up the guitar in certain places...."  :)

I know what you mean, Rick, but I think this I'm content with this one at the moment.  I am still running through ideas for the first two lines, but the structure of the tune isn't going to change, despite the lack of a true hook or normal layout.

Archived