It's Dead In Here

Marshal

• Members

Ok. You've been haunting me with this. I started messing around with something. Don't know how far it'll go. The chords are simple, but there's not a good way for a solo performer to turn them into an orchestration, so it may not be a production number. But it has gotten in my head. 

Stylistically this would be a Tom Waits tune. Just one verse so far. 

Hey bartender, get me a beer

Every day it

• Members

Marshal wrote:

Ok. You've been haunting me with this. I started messing around with something. Don't know how far it'll go. The chords are simple, but there's not a good way for a solo performer to turn them into an orchestration, so it may not be a production number. But it has gotten in my head. 

Stylistically this would be a
Tom Waits
tune. Just one verse so far. 

Every day it

• Moderators

Marshal wrote:

Tom Waits

Every day it

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Marshal wrote:

Tom Waits

Every day it

• Moderators

Well... Hmmm.... I don't think it's capturing what hoping it's capturing. Cause, like, if anyone around here has clocked some bar time, not that I'm particularly proud of it but hey... I put in 5 6 or 7 nights a week for 15 plus years and... I don't think the lines I've pointed out are without issue. They don't capture bar life so much as confuse the listener.

That's my take do far.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Well... Hmmm.... I don't think it's capturing what hoping it's capturing. Cause, like, if anyone around here has clocked some bar time, not that I'm particularly proud of it but hey... I put in 5 6 or 7 nights a week for 15 plus years and... I don't think the lines I've pointed out are without issue. They don't capture bar life so much as confuse the listener.

That's my take do far.

Well you're probably right. I didn't start out with the idea to capture the ambience of a bar. That was kind of subliminal. With this discussion it's gaining some importance. I still have to decide how I want the love triangle to come to a head. Once I've got that modeled in my mind, and hav it laid out, then I can re-examine some fo the premises. 

I've written a couple tunes where I start out with a place-holder line; a cool line (to me). And then fleshed out a storyline that moved that initial situation along. I guess that's how I started out with this one. It's fun for me, but I can see where, if I'm not careful, it leaves somebody behind. 

Archived