Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bee3
    started a topic Certain Company

Certain Company

I started strumming this the other night... did a quick recording so I didn't lose it. Had some gibberish words... now I'm trying to refine. Live! Right here in this thread!

Updated demo: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11977040

Certain Company

Sometimes I'm good in certain company

Other times I sit awkwardly... alone

Well it may be due to circumstance

That I prefer to take a chance... alone

Sometimes I feel like letting go

Turn off the lights, turn on the stereo

• bee3
    replied
    So... is it an issue?

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardScaper
    View Post

Wow!

I just went back and listened to the first version...the ORIGINAL. I LOVE the way you sing those lines. Love it. You fit your voice around those long notes so well. That is how this song should be sung.

Can't believe the liberties I took with it.

In fact.....the whole song sounds great in that take. Not sure how I would even suggest changing anything, except maybe the timing of that second guitar's entry....and that nit is too small to be picked.

Start another one.

Thanks for that Lenny (and OGP).

So... I'm looking to do one more thing to it (in addition to solid vocal takes)... and that is to add a more meaningful guitar solo before the current one... I've recruited a guy I play with in a local band who is just a fantastic and tasteful guitar player. Really looking forward to hearing what he can do with it... Oswlek's idea, which I'm eager to try, is to solo out of Chorus #2 and resolve into the current bridge (which is currently my lame guitar playing). I'm thinking that current bridge can be dynamic though... the peak of the solo with the change of chords and that melodic line as the resolve.

Leave a comment:

• LeonardScaper
    replied
    Wow!

I just went back and listened to the first version...the ORIGINAL. I LOVE the way you sing those lines. Love it. You fit your voice around those long notes so well. That is how this song should be sung.

Can't believe the liberties I took with it.

In fact.....the whole song sounds great in that take. Not sure how I would even suggest changing anything, except maybe the timing of that second guitar's entry....and that nit is too small to be picked.

Start another one.

Leave a comment:

• oldgitplayer
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by bee3
    View Post

I, of course, will try... but I have to tell you... if I'm not feeling it, it's not going to translate well. Really... 2 full nights of tracking vox... I have like 22 takes of vocals.

Maybe if I practiced all night, I could also sing as well as you.......

Leave a comment:

• LeonardScaper
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv
    View Post

You guys crack me up.

Me too.

I don't know how many times I have tried to implement a change that should work better only to go back to the original that had that feeling of spontaneity and emotion. Nothing will take those away with more certainty than......22 takes.

Don't listen to Justin.

Listen to Justin instead.

Leave a comment:

• rsadasiv
    replied
    You guys crack me up.

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied

View Post

I, of course, will try... but I have to tell you... if I'm not feeling it, it's not going to translate well. Really... 2 full nights of tracking vox... I have like 22 takes of vocals.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Do whatever works for you.

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek
    View Post

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied

View Post

Try singing it again?

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek
    View Post

Try again, MFer. Try again.

Try singing it again?

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied
    Try again, MFer. Try again.

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    So... I've spent two nights cutting vocals on this... and I'm sorry to say that I just can't make Oswlek's suggestions on the first line of the chorus work for me. It doesn't flow... doesn't feel right... and it's tripping me up badly.

That said, I can make the second line of the chorus work by emphasizing "Turrrrrnnnnnn on the stereo".

So that's where I'm at... I may go against the Pattison grain here and keep the first part as is... it just feels so much better for me... and the way I sing it.

I couldn't bring myself to bounce it down because as it stands now, I don't have a final take.

Read more: http://hcsf.freeforums.net/index.cgi...#ixzz2C85W7Um8

Leave a comment:

• rsadasiv
    replied
    (migrating back from the other place)

This is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic
    View Post

Here's a bit of fun - Got Mr Scraper to send me his vox from his acoustic demo and made a barren/sparse version using them

I might do more to it but lenny seems to like the sparseness

http://picosong.com/3Rds

Amazing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X