Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Adrift (formerly Untitled)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrift (formerly Untitled)

The start of something...  as usual, just a verse and chorus to show you what I'm thinking. I don't know... are these lyrics just too... :manfrustrated:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12121925

We slipped into unconsciousness

But consciously we stayed adrift

Abstract notions strangely intertwined 

Reflecting love and hate and right and wrong

But willfully we move along

Ignoring all the warning signs

Our minds just may be gone

Too far along

We did not know

Help was right around the corner

I read the lyric first, and went......hmmmmmm.

I then listened - and I love it. Musically its really terrific. I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't care less about the lyric. I think it's a classic case of songs needing to be heard and not read.

I love the piano work so much, I'd suggest that your final arrangement have 50% instrumental work and 50% vocal. Whatever you write, it can be a mood lyric, with only the faintest hint of meaning.

'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
    CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

• bee3
      bee3 commented
      Editing a comment

Interestingly... I wrote the lyric and went....  hmmmmmm.  Where did this hippy-dippy **bleep** come from?  

bee3 wrote:

The start of something...  as usual, just a verse and chorus to show you what I'm thinking. I don't know... are these lyrics just too... :manfrustrated:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12121925

We slipped into unconsciousness

But consciously we stayed adrift

Abstract notions strangely intertwined 

Reflecting love and hate and right and wrong

But willfully we move along

Ignoring all the warning signs

Too far along

We did not know

Help was right around the corner

To my way of thinking, the part in blue is the essential hub of the song.

I wouldn't change a damn thing, lyrically. (Which is high praise, coming from me...)

"Where the hell is Larry?" --Richard Rodgers

Comment

• bee3
      bee3 commented
      Editing a comment

It's growing on my Lou(?). 

Anyone have any thoughts on the bridge and the loose arrangement.  I'm probably going to put a second verse in after that breakdown, into the chorus, then out...

I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed the discussion on this one.  I agree with LCK on leaving the words as they are in the first version you posted.  As a listener, I prefer the more open, abstract meaning that leaves me some options as to how I interpret it.  However, I do think the song could use another verse.  I have no ideas on the direction it should take, but right now the song just seems incomplete with that long instrumental section following the one verse.

One other minor nit - The rapid-fire delivery of the "right around the corner" line felt too harsh for me.  I'm wondering if there is a way to slow that down and soften it up a bit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the words themselves, just the way they are delivered.

Almost forgot to mention - I like it a lot.

Beware of deepities.<br>-- Daniel Dennett

Comment

• LCK
      LCK commented
      Editing a comment

Monkey Uncle wrote:

I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed the discussion on this one.  I agree with LCK on leaving the words as they are in the first version you posted. 

The rapid-fire delivery of the "right around the corner" line felt too harsh for me.  I'm wondering if there is a way to slow that down and soften it up a bit.

I agree.

That's why I suggested this:

too far along

to know that help was

right around the corner

instead of this:

too far along

for us to know that

help was right around the corner

Bot bump for bee3.
    Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
X