Friday Influences Thread 03-08-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

We're still here? Amazing! Like tenacious filth bugs after the nuclear holocaust, still clinging on and surviving. Thriving? Maybe... stay tuned.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

The Artist's Way. Buy the book and do it. It'll take 12 weeks. I'm on my second week and it is mind bending in its ability to allow one to let the defenses drop and just get on with the matter at hand. Art being its direct target. But I'll tell ya, it reaches farther and deeper.

"We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves."

Hmmm, ok... I'll buy that. In fact, I did long ago. There is something about being reminded of how simple it is. And that thing we are questing for is really already inside, we just need to remember to get the frik out of the way. Let it happen, actively. The book gives you steps toward the "actively" part. It is pragmatic, not fluffy. It is huge.

artistsway[2].jpg

This morning as I thought of my work so far in this workbook, and who might in some way exemplify the striping away of protective layers to let yourself be yourself in your art, Sia, the singer came to mind. She manages to be completely unique and herself, best I can tell. And because of that... she's ended up on everyone else's records these past couple of years. Need a vocalist for your next techno chart topper, call Sia.

(Oh... and guilty pleasure of the week: Tegan and Sara's new one)

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

530abb297fd12.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The implosion of HC is making me a little depressed. As Bee3 observed HC is the vast majority of my "audience" and watching that audience die is pretty demotivating.

Anyway.... heard this yesterday for the first time. Awesome. I need to listen to more Nick Cave.

• Moderators

Well, I'll tell ya, Ram. I was very outspoken early on as to the mishandling of this forum and its issues. (Not this forum, but the HC forums) I was told to be more understanding. But what I saw was a total disregard for community. If they decided to abandon that community, well that is their choice. But, evidently, they hadn't decided to abandon the community. The platform was upgraded, etc. So they hadn't decided to abandon the community? Could've fooled me.

The noncommunication early on wasn't a result of deciding to call it quits for business reasons, it was rather, a huge and unthinking oversight. Arrogance even. I haven't changed my tune since I voiced my concern and then disdain for the handling of this. Nothing has really changed other than lack of interest (predictably so) from the community due to this mishandling. They've (HC) alienated the community through lack of leadership.

I see this growing back just fine but we don't really know, do we?

• Moderators

stickboymusic wrote:

This chap came into work to do a live session (this isn't at my work)

He was very good.

Oh... I love that. Yeah, I do. I'm off to search out more from him. Yes, good stuff. I love the choice of band type and players too. He's that folk singer at the keys, which brings a cool melodic slant more so than the same old strumming singer/songwriter. And he's not falling prey to that sort of boring The Fray pop that's made me snooze for a couple years now.

nice

• Members

This is a bit of a ringer... it's Johnny Cash, all right, but he's playing a character in a Columbo episode (a debauched country singer made a star by his older gospel star wife [played by the once-gamine Ida Lupino) but tempted by all the gospel groupies...

The BB system seems to think both of these (valid) YT links are bad, so no embed, but they should click through OK. (Both go to the same vid.)

The reason I include it in the F.I.T. is that I realized recently as I was working on the last of my songs for the RPM challenge that I'd scribbled down that song's title as I was watching the Columbo episode in question some months back. When I was hard up for inspiration during the RPM challenge, I went through my scrap folder and decided to turn the one line into a song... I came up with a couple of terse quatrains and continued to struggle... One evening, taking a breather, I put up Columbo as I (too) often do and the limited number of Columbo reruns conspired to bring up the Johnny Cash Columbo episode again -- bookends. (I'll be posting that song in progress in the next few days, as I never did get past those two verses.)

• Members

I'm well into the second year of a one year project to digitize my remaining vinyl collection, as Lyle Lovett says, "He wasn't good, but he had good intentions."  Anyway, I was working on the Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" the other night.  I hadn't listened to it in a long time. The best known song from that was 'Time of the Season.'  However, a number of the other tunes made me think of Stickboy's music.

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

I'm well into the second year of a one year project to digitize my remaining vinyl collection, as Lyle Lovett says, "He wasn't good, but he had good intentions."  Anyway, I was working on the Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" the other night.  I hadn't listened to it in a long time. The best known song from that was 'Time of the Season.'  However, a number of the other tunes made me think of Stickboy's music.

Love it! I really dig the bass on this tune too!

• Members

Aztec Two Step is a New York City duo.  They got their name from a Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem, which has a cache all its own.  I first saw them in the Student Union coffee house at Syracuse University in the early 70's.  They were the opening act for somebody else with a much bigger name.  I have no memory of who the headliner was but I became an immediate fan of these guys.  Neil Shulman's lyrical guitar playing has been a significant influence.  They pretty much sound as good in this 2011 performance as they did then.

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

Not a band I've ever given much time too, but like this lots

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

Haven't thought about this guy in a long time, just popped into my mind.  He's got the magic in this one:

He's very good. I think most people probably know him for "My Old Addiction."

Speaking of famous heroin addicts...

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

This is a bit of a ringer... it's Johnny Cash, all right, but he's playing a character in a Columbo episode (a debauched country singer made a star by his older gospel star wife [played by the once-gamine Ida Lupino) but tempted by all the gospel groupies...

The BB system seems to think both of these (valid) YT links are bad, so no embed, but they should click through OK. (Both go to the same vid.)

Embedding disabled by request

The reason I include it in the F.I.T. is that I realized recently as I was working on the last of my songs for the RPM challenge that I'd scribbled down that song's title as I was watching the Columbo episode in question some months back. When I was hard up for inspiration during the RPM challenge, I went through my scrap folder and decided to turn the one line into a song... I came up with a couple of terse quatrains and continued to struggle... One evening, taking a breather, I put up Columbo as I (too) often do and the limited number of Columbo reruns conspired to bring up the Johnny Cash Columbo episode again -- bookends. (I'll be posting that song in progress in the next few days, as I never did get past those two verses.)

This is a fine song - although news of your Columbo addiction is somewhat troubling. ;)

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

For some reason that reminds me of the convent scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  Must be the angelic choir ladies who are actually thinking horribly impure thoughts...

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

Aztec Two Step is a New York City duo.  They got their name from a Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem, which has a cache all its own.  I first saw them in the Student Union coffee house at Syracuse University in the early 70's.  They were the opening act for somebody else with a much bigger name.  I have no memory of who the headliner was but I became an immediate fan of these guys.  Neil Shulman's lyrical guitar playing has been a significant influence.  They pretty much sound as good in this 2011 performance as they did then.

They played the local arts center a couple of years ago, but I couldn't make it for some reason.  Dang.

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

Aztec Two Step is a New York City duo.  They got their name from a Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem, which has a cache all its own.  I first saw them in the Student Union coffee house at Syracuse University in the early 70's.  They were the opening act for somebody else with a much bigger name.  I have no memory of who the headliner was ...

The Boss & the Two-Step

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

The Artist's Way. Buy the book and do it. It'll take 12 weeks. I'm on my second week and it is mind bending in its ability to allow one to let the defenses drop and just get on with the matter at hand. Art being its direct target. But I'll tell ya, it reaches farther and deeper.

"We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves."

Hmmm, ok... I'll buy that. In fact, I did long ago. There is something about being reminded of how simple it is. And that thing we are questing for is really already inside, we just need to remember to get the frik out of the way. Let it happen, actively. The book gives you steps toward the "actively" part. It is pragmatic, not fluffy. It is huge.

artistsway[2].jpg

I'm not really an artistic person, having done nothing whatsoever arts-related until I decided I was going to learn to play music when I was in my late 30s.  I find the whole relaxed concentration thing to be a real struggle.  My conscious mind is just too firmly in control.  I wonder if techniques such as this might help.  But I'm leery of anything that uses the word 'spiritual', as I got over the whole god thing a long time ago.  Any time some guru starts talking about letting a higher power take charge, I get a little nauseous.  Not sure where I was going with this; I'm sure I had a point in mind when I started typing...

Oh yeah, I find that I have a hard time really learning songs inside and out because of the whole short-term memory thing.  I wonder if that also has something to do with not being able to get outside of the conscious mind's 'command and control' mentality.

• Members

Bryn Mawr is a few miles from where I grew up. They had re-opened the Main Point back in 2000 or so... called it The Point. I used to play there... but I don't think it was the same exact location.

• Moderators

Monkey Uncle wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

artistsway[2].jpg

I'm not really an artistic person, having done nothing whatsoever arts-related until I decided I was going to learn to play music when I was in my late 30s.  I find the whole relaxed concentration thing to be a real struggle.  My conscious mind is just too firmly in control.  I wonder if techniques such as this might help.  But I'm leery of anything that uses the word 'spiritual', as I got over the whole god thing a long time ago.  Any time some guru starts talking about letting a higher power take charge, I get a little nauseous.  Not sure where I was going with this; I'm sure I had a point in mind when I started typing...

Oh yeah, I find that I have a hard time really learning songs inside and out because of the whole short-term memory thing.  I wonder if that also has something to do with not being able to get outside of the conscious mind's 'command and control' mentality.

Well, I'm certainly not going to try and sell you on it. But to let you know, I'm not one for god driven stuff like this either. And it goes there unabashedly, but for some reason I'm having no issue whatsoever with it. Not saying you won't though....

• Moderators

blue2blue wrote:

This is a little long at ~36 minutes -- but it rocks really hard...

I have a Charles Dutoit/Montreal Symphony version of that that's just great. Decca from the 80's Great stuff. And that ^^^ sounds wonderful after just 3 or 4 minutes too. I'll give it a better listen when time permits, sounds great.

Archived