"Christy" -- finished lyric???

LCK

• Members

I came across this the other day. In my head I can hear Ryan singing it, but I can't for the life of me find the rhythm, tune, or chords. Is there a possible collaboration here?

Christy

V.1

Christy is a cowboy.

He wears the cowboy jeans.

He

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pink corrals make me think of pink pistols and pink pistols make me think of... yow!

Anyhow, cowboys and sailors... I see the shape in the mist (or is that a thule fog?) and I get the land/sea/outsider/wander job parallel/contrast thing. I get the envy. I kinda get the movie (although at a certain point, the movie, the pickup bars, the cowboys, the sailors, the picaresquery, it starts heading toward Pynchonia).

But it seems, for me, to refuse to all come together neatly. Not, of course, that everything must...

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

Pink corrals make me think of pink pistols and pink pistols make me think of... yow!

Anyhow, cowboys and sailors... I see the shape in the mist (or is that a thule fog?) and I get the land/sea/outsider/wander job parallel/contrast thing. I get the envy. I kinda get the movie (although at a certain point, the movie, the pickup bars, the cowboys, the sailors, the picaresquery, it starts heading toward Pynchonia).

But it seems, for me, to refuse to all come together neatly. Not, of course, that everything must...

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Pink corrals refers to frou-frou feminine bedrooms (or body parts). Or just feminine charms/wiles.

I love that you think the lyric has a Thomas Pynchon feel. I was kinda going for Larry McMurtry.

I, too, wonder about the the wisdom of plunking the ocean imagery into the middle of a supposed cowboy song. Maybe Christy is the son of a rancher and the narrator is a Jeremiah Johnson, wanderer, desert rat, mountain man, tracker?

Of course the song actually takes place in the here and now, so these occupations are just metaphors for two character types, one whose milieu is the barroom and another whose milieu is wandering under the open sky, gazing at the stars.

• Members

I've been off-line for a few days and just caught up with this.

Initially I thought, What!!! Then I got the quirkyness of it, and found myself singing along.

I've used the 1st lyric post and haven't incorporated any of the recent revisions.

This may not be anything like you had in mind, but I thought I'd post it anyway. It may have some detail somewhere that Rhino might like to develop.

http://picosong.com/3MVj/

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Updated lyric.

"Christy"

Christy was a cowboy.

He wore those cowboy jeans.

They said he had the motive.

He damn sure had the means.

I never cared for Christy,

or his so-called friends,

or how the spellbound girls surround

him as the movie ends.

Scorpio and Pluto, Jupiter and Mars—

empty faces filling all the bars.

I was born a sailor

but I got lost at sea.

Then you rode off with Christy.

Now who will harbor me?

The desert is my ocean.

I rarely ride to town

but fill my gaze with endless days

and hills of distant brown

(repeat chorus)

(repeat verse and chorus instrumentally, i.e., whistling)

Christy had a pony,

the Appaloosa kind.

He sold that mare for pennies,

down by the borderline.

I’ve come to love the sagebrush,

grown easy in my years,

scanning still the skyline till

your cloud of dust appears.

(repeat chorus)

Words and Music © 1987 & 2014 by Lee Charles Kelley

West Sixty Ninth Street Music (ASCAP)

Archived