Friday Influences Thread!!!! - 03-15-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post it! Tell us about it! Tell us about you in relation to it!

Hey! I Gotta an idea!!

And you're off... //// swoosh! An idea. That's where it's at. All this craft is awesome. I love craft. But craft, I've got to remind myself, is there to heighten the impact of... a good idea. It's the idea that everyone wants. Even the master craftsman really only wants an idea to speak to him. To reach through the labyrinth that exists between the artist's mind and the listener's heart. Craft helps get the idea delivered.

I woke at 2am this morning covered in sweat from a fever nightmare all in red and black. It's what I remember. Red and black. So I was AWAKE with a capitol A W A K E. I got on the couch with iPhone and youtube. Art Blakey's Moanin brought me to the Mingus Moanin. They're two different songs that were released right around the same time in '59 or so. A fever and this? Sometimes the devil and God can have the same face. That's all I can say. Holy beejeejuzz. Anyhoo...

Listen how the idea, Mingus's IDEA of Moanin gets reinterpreted. And I'll tell ya, if you're inclined and you have the time, the Mingus Big Band version is astounding. Just let it get past the noise freakout to really get it. That big band still exists, this version is from '93. That is one horny bari. I want to have its babies. The big band was formed after the death of Mingus, reinterpreting his compositions and managed by his wife.

the original

the big band from '93

and the Brooklyn Jewish rapper version. It a remix. If you ask me, these guys totally capture the spirit of Mingus, and this guy did an awesome remix, which is my point really. It's the IDEA!

• Moderators

bee3 wrote:

This song is a huge influence for me.  Surprise, surprise.

I've never seen this version before...  just awesome.

I really love the studio version of that tune. I love this too ^^^. It reminds me that Gilmour must be a Dylan fan. He's got some Dylany about him underneath the more obvious Floyd/Gilmour qualities we associate with him. I love that tune and I just love everything he does.

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

Post it! Tell us about it! Tell us about
you
in relation to
it!

the big band from '93

Man! I need to listen to more Mingus...

I know... it's really pretty freaking cool. That same band plays in the city at The Jazz Standard NYC every Monday apparently. If you can you should go. God, I wish I could...

http://jazzstandard.net/red/index.html

Archived