Understand

bee3

• Members

Lyrics only at the moment. I wrote this a long time ago... tried tweaking the lyrics today a bit because they really made no sense before... and I'm not sure that they're any better now.

Understand

There are two sides to the story
Mine is one of fading glory
Yours is one that tells of saving grace
Washed up on a wave of pity
Maybe you’re the one to save me?
Please believe me when I have to say

If I don’t understand
Or I can’t comprehend maybe you can
Be the one to show me how to breathe in…
When all the world is crashing around me
Will you be the one to show me things?
‘Cause that is all I need

So now that we are one
Let’s keep it, keep it from everyone
It’s bad enough that we can’t speak it
It’s even worse… they won’t believe it
Please help me through my day

But I don’t even need a victory
I just want a place for you and me

If I don’t understand
I won’t comprehend maybe you can
You will be the one to show me things
And that is all I need

• Members

I think I get the sense of the story, looking forward to the music demo.

The intro hook verse "There's two sides to every story" sets up the premise for the song. It begs and answer, and is followed with one in the form of "maybe you're the one to save me". OK, you got my attention!

The next few lines offer up the key phrase "may you can.,.. be the one to show me how to breath." This is pretty metaphorical, that's fine. But my problem is, I am not clear on what the metaphor is meant to cover. Perhaps the speaker is overwhelmed by everything, doesn't understand life or the world etc. Not sure. But I think the listener should get a sense of what this relates to.

That's my nit for today. :-)

Rick

• Moderators

If I don’t understand

I really love that. To me this all makes sense. I really, beautiful kind of sense. I get it. My only reservation is with this:

So now that we are one

As a bridge (I'm assuming?) it works really well with its aternate "camera angle". I like that about it. I'm just a little uncertain if shifting to the "greedy love" POV is not too distracting. I love the notion of greedy love. You mine and let's keep this wonderful thing ours and ours alone. That's awesome, but it might distract from your major point. Which is, as I'm reading it... "I'm a lost, I know nothing, but when I with you, the world makes sense. You complete me. You are the missing part of me and show me how to live and be a better person." So does that bridge, in its want for exclusivity pull from your main thrust. I think it might just a little. Not all of it, but just the "greedy love" aspects. Or not. I love it.

• Moderators

If I don’t understand

I really love that. To me this all makes sense. I really, beautiful kind of sense. I get it. My only reservation is with this:

So now that we are one

As a bridge (I'm assuming?) it works really well with its aternate "camera angle". I like that about it. I'm just a little uncertain if shifting to the "greedy love" POV is not too distracting. I love the notion of greedy love. You mine and let's keep this wonderful thing ours and ours alone. That's awesome, but it might distract from your major point. Which is, as I'm reading it... "I'm a lost, I know nothing, but when I with you, the world makes sense. You complete me. You are the missing part of me and show me how to live and be a better person." So does that bridge, in its want for exclusivity pull from your main thrust. I think it might just a little. Not all of it, but just the "greedy love" aspects. Or not.

Cause I really I love it...

• Members

I don't really have any writing-related comments, but I do want to make an observation on the performance. About half way through, your voice really opened up and let go, and I heard a depth of feeling that I don't think I've ever heard from you before. At that point it didn't really matter what you were singing about, the sound of your voice was enough to pull me in emotionally. Whatever you did to tap into that, remember it so you can pull that out again whenever a song calls for it. Good stuff.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Hi... haven't addressed any lyric stuff yet. This is a rough idea of what the song sounds like. I thought I was going to have all night to work on it... but apparently, the wife made plans... so I threw this together pretty quickly just now.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11956086
Link isn's working for me. I'll try again later.

• Members

Love the song.

I totally take back what I said about the "breath" line. The music, chordage and melody for that verse nails the emotion, and I know exactly what the singer is referring to.

I just want to say something about the melody in the following section. It was an OMG, get down on my hands and knees and celebrate how great the melody was moment for me. This is just too cool:

==================================
If I don't understand
Or I can't comprehend maybe you can
Be the one to show me how to breathe in
Cause that is all I need
============================

Kick butt.

Rick

• Members

Thanks Rick. I have some ideas for the final product... production-wise. Glad you like it. Really need to nail the vocals on this one... I have a separate 'outro' part but I'm not sure if I'll include it yet. It's really designed to lift it up in a 'major' sense.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek View Post
I learned a long time ago that your music solves nearly every lyric problem imaginable....
QFT. The flute is much too loud, but I doubt that is where it will be once things are finalized.

BTW, I can totally see this being a big production, in the "Comfortably Numb" vein. But I don't think it needs to be. It was totally en rapt simply as is.

• Members

Great again my friend

This bit is SO melodic

Cause that is all I need

That I feel a rhyme may make it even stronger

something like (maybe not a great lyric but there for illustration so you can see how it sings)

When all the world is crashing 'round me
Im just glad that you have found me
Cause that is all I need

• Members

Hey Stick... not sure if I'm feeling that... I tried singing something similar, and I just couldn't get it to flow.

So I did a live video for this still unfinished song... well, the performance is live. Flute is overdubbed.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Hey Stick... not sure if I'm feeling that... I tried singing something similar, and I just couldn't get it to flow.

So I did a live video for this still unfinished song... well, the performance is live. Flute is overdubbed.

Oh my. Really. That's great.

Be the one to show me how to breathe... in That line. That turn of the chords and the swoop up on br--EATHE! That's beautiful. Then the down arc of "i...in". I dig it immensely. The whole thing's got a wonderful yearning for this comfort and love you need. It's really cool. Perfect to me.

Archived