Friday Influences Thread!!! 03-29-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

...and where the hell are you?!?!?

If you go before I do

I'm gonna tell the gravedigger that he better dig two

I'm off to see my favorite eccentric, Jon Brion tonight in Hollywood at Largo at the Coronet! Each time he has a different special surprise guest. So far I've seen Robyn Hitchcock, Nickel Creek, and Jackson Browne. It's always a wonderfully involving night of music and it's creation. And a few beers.

But before I do I'm stopping by Marina Del Rey for a meeting with Joe Solo, writer/producer with Macy Gray, Eryka Badu, iPhone commercials and too many TV placements to mention) for some professional feedback and career direction.  In other words, how the hell do I make some money at this or should I just give it up? Should I focus on getting a publishing deal in a specific genre or try various genres?

Anyway, I'm ready for anything including a bitch slap or two. I'll pass along any wisdom I can glean from this at a later date.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

I'm stopping by Marina Del Rey for a meeting with Joe Solo, writer/producer with Macy Gray, Eryka Badu, iPhone commercials and too many TV placements to mention) for some professional feedback and career direction.  In other words, how the hell do I make some money at this or should I just give it up? Should I focus on getting a publishing deal in a specific genre or try various genres?

Anyway, I'm ready for anything including a bitch slap or two. I'll pass along any wisdom I can glean from this...

You're an ace, LK. You have amazing talent. I hope something clicks! You deserve it!

• Members

It's a terribly conflicted song, but I'm more comfortable with people whoe are conflicted than I am with people who are repressed (and much more comfortable than I am with people who don't reflect at all).

Growing up is complicated. That's worth saying, even if it doesn't sell albums.

• Members

Hope the meeting goes swell, Lee!

When you're a big star, we're counting on your long coat tails...  remember us little people.  wink.gif 

I've always had a soft spot for those horns... maybe part of it is the way they are just on the verge of being significantly out of tune with each other... I dunno... somehow... it works. Kinda.

This next isn't maybe the most natural star match-up ever, both players are great players in their own right, and when they start jamming, there's some really sharp -- and fun -- interplay.

And I've always felt there was some kind of kinship between the song above and this, no matter how bastardized. [is that a pun -- or not?] There's a longer version that seems to show that this was a totally impromptu jam; as I recall, they huddle for a half minute  before jumping in...

LATE ADD...

This probably won't be of much interest to anyone but me, but here's a few highly impromptu minutes of Johnny Marr messing around on Rory Gallagher's famous Stratocaster... playing blues rock clearly isn't Marr's thing but he runs through bits of enough of Rory's songs -- pretty much everything he plays is from Rory -- to show he was likely a fan back in the day... 

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

I've always had a soft spot for those horns... maybe part of it is the way they are just on the verge of being significantly out of tune with each other... I dunno... somehow... it works. Kinda.

A poor man's Chicago, mixed with Grand Funk Railroad!

I had a blues band in college (for a few months around 1973, '74?) -- We were called "Colonel Boogie."

Our lead guitarist was 16. He was a genius but a little undisciplined. I sang lead and played blues harp. My room-mate Mark Emmett played bass. We did Humble Pie's "I Don't Need No Doctor," "I Got a Woman (Way Over Town)," and this cool little number. I loved singing it.

Archived