Friday Influences Thread - 03-22-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

What's up, compadres?!?! Post it and tell us.

So... there are so many things that I love that just aren't hip. That are anti-hip. The antithesis of hip. Of cultured. Of... in the know. That are either considered guilty pleasures or I'm looked upon as "Well, he must not know any better." That I am somehow unaware of the thin and shallow nature of a particular interest. 

But actually, I don't let one or two or ten negative attributes rob me of appreciating some of a thing's quality. Or it's craft perhaps. Or it's heart. Or it's underlying balls that are so easily missed by those in the know. Case in point:

Modern Country. Clearly... I can't hear the autotune. Clearly I'm unaware that a particular topic or rhyme or guitar lick has been used a 1000 times over. And clearly I just don't realize what it says about me. 

But the truth is, clearly I don't care.

I REALLY like this girl's writing. It has inspired me to look very seriously at Modern Country and to focus a bit in the coming months on it exclusively. Here's her current hit off her just released album, Same Trailer, Different Park. Then the 2nd one down is a song she wrote for mega country artist Miranda Lambert last year. Both songs show an ability to both belong... and to lyrically thrust a middle finger, a la Cash, in the face of Nashville.  All while getting a big hug from Nashville and a paycheck to boot. She's not afraid of getting a little dark and seems to have a knack of getting away with it. And having it be embraced even by a very conservative crowd. Go girl.

If you ain't got two kids by 21,

You're probably gonna die alone.

Least that's what tradition told you.

And it don't matter if you don't believe,

Come Sunday morning, you best be there

In the front row like you're supposed to.

Same hurt in every heart.

Same trailer, different park.

Mama's hooked on Mary Kay.

Brother's hooked on Mary Jane.

Daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down.

Mary, Mary quite contrary.

We get bored, so, we get married

Just like dust, we settle in this town.

On this broken merry go 'round and 'round and 'round we go

Where it stops nobody knows and it ain't slowin' down.

This merry go 'round.

We think the first time's good enough.

So, we hold on to high school love.

Sayin' we won't end up like our parents.

Tiny little boxes in a row.

Ain't what you want, it's what you know.

Just happy in the shoes you're wearin'.

Same checks we're always cashin'

To buy a little more distraction.

'Cause mama's hooked on Mary Kay.

Brother's hooked on Mary Jane.

Daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary.

We get bored, so, we get married.

On this broken merry go 'round and 'round and 'round we go

Where it stops nobody knows and it ain't slowin' down.

This merry go 'round.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary.

We're so bored until we're buried.

On this broken merry go 'round.

Merry go 'round.

Jack and Jill went up the hill.

Jack burned out on booze and pills.

And Mary had a little lamb.

Mary just don't give a damn no more.

• Moderators

I love that ^. "This is {censored}-ing aweSOME!"

I saw him (them) on Jimmy Fallon maybe it was. And I thought, here's a white guy that is dangerously close to Vanilla Ice-land and yet has a totally cool sense of humor and style through the roof. I love it. And what a great idea for a lyric

• Members

This song by Colin Hay, formerly of Men at Work,  is one of my leading candidates for 'saddest song I have ever heard'.

I always considered this 'just' another Dylan song until I heard this version by Ramblin' Jack Elliot.  It was used in a documentary done by Jack's daughter called "The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack Elliot."  As she told his story she was desperately trying to connect with this man who had been her essentially absent father.  The song took on a whole new level of poignancy and it has become one of my favorite Dylan tunes.

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

This song by Colin Hay, formerly of Men at Work,  is one of my leading candidates for 'saddest song I have ever heard'.

I always enjoy your Friday picks. Nice tune.

• Moderators

Man, he's pretty inspirational for us old types isn't he? He manages to claim his age naturally, and yet not be boxed in by it. I love that. It's what I loved about Paris and the locals there. The place reeks of artistic sensibility everywhere you go regardless of age Bowie's got it in spades, doesn't he?

• Members

I'm still trying to figure THIS out... 

So, the song was written by Taylor Swift, Max Martin, and team. It came out last year.

So where did THIS clip of a seemingly VERY young Dionne Bromfield doing a sing along with a bunch of school kids come from? Now, she is only 17, and she does have a baby face but compare her with other vids from the last year and she really looks like she's about 13 or 14 here.

Any ideas... did Taylor and Max have this sitting in the can, waiting for a time when the 'country' music scene was ready for hard-tuned teen pop?

Archived