Old Sun Smiling

bee3

• Members

I have this idea...  but it's at the 'germ of something' stage.  Really, only two verses so far... not even a chorus.  I do have the song mapped out, but haven't been able to sing it yet as I'm still recovering from the flu.

Gone are the days of winter

Spring has settled in

That old sun is smiling once again

Sleep with the windows open

A breeze of fresh cut grass

Thankful the cold has come to pass

That's all I've got so far.  Thoughts?

• Members

bee3 wrote:

I have this idea...  but it's at the 'germ of something' stage.  Really, only two verses so far... not even a chorus.  I do have the song mapped out, but haven't been able to sing it yet as I'm still recovering from the flu.

Spring has settled in

It's a good start. A couple phrases in the 2nd verse are a bit off. I don't mind "a breeze of fresh-cut grass." That's an interesting way putting things. But "come to pass" means that something had been in the process of happening and has finally happened, which makes the last line mean the opposite of what you intended.

Maybe "thankful the cold has fin'lly passed?"

• Members

LCK wrote:

bee3 wrote:

Spring has settled in

It's a good start. A couple phrases in the 2nd verse are a bit off. I don't mind "a breeze of fresh-cut grass." That's an interesting way putting things. But "come to pass" means that something had been in the process of happening and has finally happened, which makes the last line mean the opposite of what you intended.

Maybe "thankful the cold has fin'lly passed?"

I was worried about that line, but I don't know if I get how it doesn't make sense.  Need to wrap my head around that.

• Members

Sometimes it is unavoidable to end a line with again, but I try and avoid it when I can. I think you could say something much more visceral in that spot... something along the lines of "A breeze of fresh cut grass."

the sun thaws out frozen skin

the landscape shed its frozen skin

• Moderators

bee3 wrote:

Spring has settled in

That's all I've got so far. 
Thoughts?

So... thoughts? Sure! I got some! :)

I think at this point you might ask yourself, what is this going to be. What is the twist or slant or POV. You can just make a song about how happy you are that spring is here. Why not? Or... you can have a cool list song  like Dylan's Everything is Broken.

Broken lines broken strings

Broken threads broken springs

Broken idols broken heads

People sleeping in broken beds

Ain't no use jiving

Ain't no use joking

Everything is broken.

In the first two lines it's a list. Broken this, broken that. Not unlike a smiling sun, an open window and some yummy smelling breeze. But then... he starts dealing out subtext. Broken idols? Broken heads? Whoa, and there's people sleeping in broken beds. So not only is the gate hinge hosed and the 'fridge on the blink, but governments and marriages are on the fritz as well?

I love that. So with this smiling sun and nice breeze, you might also imply rebirth. The rekindling of a relationship. The epiphany of seeing the error of your ways. Some sort of Roll Away the Stone. Deeper than just the trappings of a nice season.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

I love that. So with this smiling sun and nice breeze, you might also imply rebirth. The rekindling of a relationship. The epiphany of seeing the error of your ways. Some sort of Roll Away the Stone. Deeper than just the trappings of a nice season.

I agree - but consciously avoid re-writing 'Here Comes the Sun' with different phrases.

Renewal is always a good positive theme.

• Moderators

Fantastic! You seem to have taken all the input as inspiration rather than putting you off. A man after my own heart, nothing weird intended there.

Seriously, I love this subtext thing going on here. I agree with Justin that it seems to call for some sort of unifying, signature phrase. And that, I believe, should be your title, whichever you choose.

To use someone close to your heart, Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here. As all roads lead to Rome, I think this lyric could benefit from all lines leading to that title and theme.

Don't think twice it's alright. I've seen the needle and the damage done. Comfortably numb. Et cetera et cetera et cetera.

• Members

Spring has settled in

Thankful the frost is gone at last

And every morning with its rise

A smile as if to say goodbye

To yesterday's sins

It's good to know that an old friend

Will shine a light through my descent

Until I rise

• Moderators

What I love is that B has his way of saying things. If he can take this input and put it into his words that to me is a homerun.

I, personally, love the way he's taken mine and other's input up to this point and made it his own. Because his own is a great voice.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

What I love is that B has his way of saying things. If he can take this input and put it into his words that to me is a homerun.

Me too.

As I said, I think the opening verses are fresh and original, very Bee-like.

Archived