Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Old Sun Smiling

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Sun Smiling

I have this idea...  but it's at the 'germ of something' stage.  Really, only two verses so far... not even a chorus.  I do have the song mapped out, but haven't been able to sing it yet as I'm still recovering from the flu.

Gone are the days of winter

Spring has settled in

That old sun is smiling once again

Sleep with the windows open

A breeze of fresh cut grass

Thankful the cold has come to pass

That's all I've got so far.  Thoughts?

bee3 wrote:

I have this idea...  but it's at the 'germ of something' stage.  Really, only two verses so far... not even a chorus.  I do have the song mapped out, but haven't been able to sing it yet as I'm still recovering from the flu.

Spring has settled in

It's a good start. A couple phrases in the 2nd verse are a bit off. I don't mind "a breeze of fresh-cut grass." That's an interesting way putting things. But "come to pass" means that something had been in the process of happening and has finally happened, which makes the last line mean the opposite of what you intended.

Maybe "thankful the cold has fin'lly passed?"

"I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

• bee3
      bee3 commented
      Editing a comment

LCK wrote:

bee3 wrote:

Spring has settled in

It's a good start. A couple phrases in the 2nd verse are a bit off. I don't mind "a breeze of fresh-cut grass." That's an interesting way putting things. But "come to pass" means that something had been in the process of happening and has finally happened, which makes the last line mean the opposite of what you intended.

Maybe "thankful the cold has fin'lly passed?"

I was worried about that line, but I don't know if I get how it doesn't make sense.  Need to wrap my head around that.

Breeze of fresh cut grass. That's good.
    Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

Comment

Thankful winter's grip has thawed at last
      Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

Comment

• bee3
        bee3 commented
        Editing a comment

Thankful the frost is gone at last

• Oswlek
        Oswlek commented
        Editing a comment

Lee Knight wrote:
        Thankful winter's grip has thawed at last

I like that ^

Sometimes it is unavoidable to end a line with again, but I try and avoid it when I can. I think you could say something much more visceral in that spot... something along the lines of "A breeze of fresh cut grass."

the sun thaws out frozen skin

the landscape shed its frozen skin

Comment

bee3 wrote:

Spring has settled in

So... thoughts? Sure! I got some!

I think at this point you might ask yourself, what is this going to be. What is the twist or slant or POV. You can just make a song about how happy you are that spring is here. Why not? Or... you can have a cool list song  like Dylan's Everything is Broken.

Broken lines broken strings
        Broken threads broken springs
        Broken idols broken heads
        People sleeping in broken beds
        Ain't no use jiving
        Ain't no use joking
        Everything is broken.

In the first two lines it's a list. Broken this, broken that. Not unlike a smiling sun, an open window and some yummy smelling breeze. But then... he starts dealing out subtext. Broken idols? Broken heads? Whoa, and there's people sleeping in broken beds. So not only is the gate hinge hosed and the 'fridge on the blink, but governments and marriages are on the fritz as well?

I love that. So with this smiling sun and nice breeze, you might also imply rebirth. The rekindling of a relationship. The epiphany of seeing the error of your ways. Some sort of Roll Away the Stone. Deeper than just the trappings of a nice season.

Comment

• oldgitplayer
          oldgitplayer commented
          Editing a comment

Lee Knight wrote:

I love that. So with this smiling sun and nice breeze, you might also imply rebirth. The rekindling of a relationship. The epiphany of seeing the error of your ways. Some sort of Roll Away the Stone. Deeper than just the trappings of a nice season.

I agree - but consciously avoid re-writing 'Here Comes the Sun' with different phrases.

Renewal is always a good positive theme.

Should it be a new sun?

Comment

• bee3
          bee3 commented
          Editing a comment

rhino55 wrote:
          Should it be a new sun?

I like the idea of my old friend, the sun, shining again.  I hate winter.

• LCK
          LCK commented
          Editing a comment

rhino55 wrote:
          Should it be a new sun?

Interesting point.

I think it's "old sun" because it was gone and now it's back again.

It also echoes the title of this tune from the 1940s:

Fantastic! You seem to have taken all the input as inspiration rather than putting you off. A man after my own heart, nothing weird intended there.

Seriously, I love this subtext thing going on here. I agree with Justin that it seems to call for some sort of unifying, signature phrase. And that, I believe, should be your title, whichever you choose.

To use someone close to your heart, Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here. As all roads lead to Rome, I think this lyric could benefit from all lines leading to that title and theme.

Don't think twice it's alright. I've seen the needle and the damage done. Comfortably numb. Et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Comment

• bee3
          bee3 commented
          Editing a comment

Spring has settled in

Thankful the frost is gone at last

And every morning with its rise

A smile as if to say goodbye

To yesterday's sins

It's good to know that an old friend

Will shine a light through my descent

Until I rise

What I love is that B has his way of saying things. If he can take this input and put it into his words that to me is a homerun.

I, personally, love the way he's taken mine and other's input up to this point and made it his own. Because his own is a great voice.

Comment

• oldgitplayer
          oldgitplayer commented
          Editing a comment

^^^

Most important observation of the month......

And now let me hit the Kudos tab.

• LCK
          LCK commented
          Editing a comment

Lee Knight wrote:
          What I love is that B has his way of saying things. If he can take this input and put it into his words that to me is a homerun.

Me too.

As I said, I think the opening verses are fresh and original, very Bee-like.

Yeah, I dug that you said that. It's true, he is smoking.

Comment

Working...
        X