X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCK's Opus -- Infantile, Insipid Stages

So one of the things I've been working on is an album of sad Sinatra songs, a la In the Wee Small Hours, to be titled either ...and Fade to Blue, For the Broken Hearted, or Where Did She Go?

Here's a comparative list of song titles.

In the Wee Small Hours                                   
    1)       In the Wee Small Hours
    2)       Glad to Be Unhappy
    3)       I Get Along Without You Very Well
    4)       Deep in a Dream
    5)       When Your Lover Has Gone
    6)       What Is This Thing Called Love?
    7)       Last Night When We Were Young
    8)       I

"I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Opus requires concentration.  Will read tonight.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I love it all a lot. Yes, there's diversity there. But also that LCK underlying thread of wistful nostalgia.

Blue Bed Linen

Comment

• oldgitplayer
        oldgitplayer commented
        Editing a comment

Maybe melodic difference, key difference and rhythmic difference is the other question to ask.

Lyrics are fantastic. I don't remember Standard Time, but I think that is my favorite.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

• oldgitplayer
        oldgitplayer commented
        Editing a comment

With the links to the songs, I've had the time to play them each through 50%. I also think 'Standard Time' is my favourite.

I've always liked your songs when they have been individually posted, but assembling them into an album is something different again. These are my observations from listening to 10 songs back to back:

I tired a little from too many songs with spoken Intros, so maybe don't have them one after another.

I tired a little from almost identical tempos to all 10 songs. There are a few which are based on boxes of 4 chords that feel they could be increased in bpm to a gentle swing. One of the reasons 'Standard Time' stands out is because it breaks the mould.

So although you asked about sameness in lyrics, I don't think that is a problem at all. I think that some variation in tempo and some variation in instrument  combos and arrangements will be the key to a successful project.

The main point being that all this is fixable with a producer and studio musicians.

I might be wrong with what I've said, because I'm only casually familiar with this genre, so my observations are strictly from my corner of the music world.

Justin Timberlake. Michael Buble.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

• rsadasiv
        rsadasiv commented
        Editing a comment

Harry Connick Jr. fronting The ReBirth Brass Band with beats by Lil Wayne.

• LCK
        LCK commented
        Editing a comment

rsadasiv wrote:
        Justin Timberlake. Michael Buble.

Not a fan of JT but I've come to like Michael Buble more and more as time goes by.

Working...
    X