Friday Influences Thread!!! 4-19-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post it. Don't be a lurker anymore. You are not too unsightly! WE are unsightly. You will feel positively adorable by joining up. You'll just look around at the other crusty, cobbled, crotchety and cantankerous members and think, "What a freaking miserable, ugly bunch of folks. I'm handsome!" And you're smart and creative too! Join this merry band of misfits as we get just a little bit better at this everyday...

\_\_\_\_\_

Shifting from a musician/artist that is inspiring me, I want to talk about what really is inspiring me this week. Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft - Professor Brooks Landon (Audio CDs)

81Vq3+RFM+L.\_SL500\_[2].jpg

The wonderfully provocative and insightful lecturer, Professor Landon, contends that better writing does not come from shorter sentences, but rather, from  L O N G sentences. And the variety between the two. "It's not how long you make it, but how you make it long."

If by adding more you're getting less clear? Then you're adding the wrong stuff. In the wrong way, in the wrong order. Cumulative syntax. Rhythm and focus and an almost dancing about of words bouncing out your lobes and spilling all over your blank white page. And then these:

imagesCA27X6AV.jpg

The advice from my new mentor Joe Solo. "- Why are you boring me with this? - Shouldn't you be building right here? - That! Right there... feels like I just tripped while I was running...".

That while a line of lyric can very much have this wonderful flow of ideas and clarification and soulful enrichment... it needs to dance as well. It needs to poke, prod and smile. The difference between a 1st year drummer making a Bonham fill sound like his drunk dad falling down the stairs... or brother Bonham himself finessing his way through the odd beats of Black Dog. 

And that lyrical dance is never tripped up by a slightly ego driven arranger who feels that,  "But those 3 bars are IMPORTANT!!!!" To make it all work in service of a flow and an idea and an intent. No matter how many ideas you try and how much ends up on the cutting room floor.

It's not how long you make it but how you make it long.

• Members

Emmylou Harris has a nice cover of this on her new album, but here's the original from the songwriter, Matraca Berg.

It's slick and manipulative but extremely powerful as well, and since I've spent the last week hanging out on tumblr hearing something that speaks beyond the range of a teenager's emotional range was very welcome.

• Members

When I was going through the archives for mixing ideas re: Child of the Radio (which has been retouched a little per Rick Dief's suggestions, btw.  No way in hell I'm bumping that damn thread again, though.  :)) I also took some time to enjoy a few guilty pleasures.

• Members

OMG - Air Supply!  Just seeing the preview of that video got the entire song lodged in my head. I wonder if I'm going to replay the whole segment of Kasey Kasem's American Top 40 now.

(might be a long morning - help me out here someone)

• Moderators

rsadasiv wrote:

Emmylou Harris has a nice cover of this on her new album, but here's the original from the songwriter, Matraca Berg.

It's slick and manipulative but extremely powerful as well, and since I've spent the last week hanging out on tumblr hearing something that speaks beyond the range of a teenager's emotional range was very welcome.

Just wonderful. I've never heard it, thanks Ram. I love it. Here are the lryics:

I guess you had to be there, she said, you had to be

She handed me a yellowed photograph

And then said, See

This was my greatest love, my one and only love

And this is me

Back when we were beautiful, see

I don't feel very different, she said, I know it's strange

I guess I've gotten used to these little aches and pains

But I still love to dance, you know we used to dance

The night away

Back when we were beautiful, beautiful, yes

I hate it when they say

I'm aging gracefully

I fight it every day

I guess they never see

I don't like this at all

What's happening to me

To me

But I really love my grandkids, she said, they're sweet to hold

They would have loved their grandpa

Those awful jokes he told

You know sometimes for a laugh, the two of us would act

Like we were old

Back when we were beautiful, beautiful, yes

But I guess you had to be there...

• Members

I came across Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem while wandering through multiple layers of the "people also bought..." feature of iTunes a couple of years ago.  This was on an album called Cocktail Swing.  I like the recorded version better but that may only be because I was distracted by the outdoor festival dancing.

• Members

I think that I have mentioned before that I have become a huge fan of "Live from Daryl's House".  Last night I was watching a show from a week or so ago with John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls.  I have a certain fondness for them as a band from the mean streets of Buffalo, NY, but I like the songwriting as well.  When he and Daryl and the boys played Iris, John pulls out this beat up looking Taylor acoustic and says "this one has four D's and a B, no high E string" and proceeds to play the opening riff.  I never could figure out how he got that sound before.

• Members

My friend Janice the Pianist is doing her semi-regular gig this week at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the hotel's features is that it still has the piano Cole Porter had installed there when he lived upstairs...

Mr. Porter is, of course, one of my major influences.

Cole Porter & Dog at the Piano.gif

• Members

Friday night! Love having some drinks and reminicsing old songs, trying to turn my kids on to some classics that I find posted on youtube. Is there a greater thing than youtube for doing this? My kids are usually not that impressed and in fact they end up turning me on to good songs they've run across like:

Blame it on the Rain by He is We.

Louder than Thunder (Quiet like the Snow) by The Devil wears Prada youtube.com/watch?v=vKOT-KTxpqg

• Members

I can't say that this was an influence on me back in 1968 - I was too busy listening to wah wah pedal leads through Marshall stacks in between distorted Gibsons. But - I came across it today whilst looking for something else on YouTube, and was taken at how good it is in its own way. Big production with lots of musical variation, and a young guy with some powerful pipes.

Archived