Quiet - Thanks for all the help

Oswlek

• Members

Edit #2 - even more:

http://picosong.com/F5jM

Edit:  some stuff ammended per my own intentions and the suggestions here:

http://picosong.com/F9Gx

This one veered in a new direction for me.  Working?

http://picosong.com/Fcgx

It isn't close to mastered, but it is much further along, and tracked for the most part.  Vox/bass is still pending a retake and I'm debating whether to add some synth here and there.

The interlude is still a little sloppy.  The lead bit is too loud (and really just a demo of the idea - it'll be redone to start less busy) and the intially part doesn't work as well when not separated with headphones.  Any ideas to get some clarity there?  Or am I wrong and it sounds fine?

All suggestions are welcome!  :)

• Members

rsadasiv wrote:

I love it.  You're killin it, Radiohead style.
:thu:

Maybe add some glitchy/white noise percussion. Drop the acoustic guitar coda and go with a big gong strike.

There is some really cool stuff going on here... love the break down... but I think I agree with Ram that you shouldn't go back to the acoustic guitar after that...  I want it to keep building.

• Members

Here's me, who can't record and mix for toffee, but I'm going to make 2 suggestions :

1. The fingerpicked guitar sounds perfect if it were just a voice and guitar song, but in the mix it sounds a bit too much in the mid-range. How about EQing a bit of treble into it?

2. To my taste, the instrumental Bridge has gone astray since you first posted it. Then it grabbed my interest. Now it just sounds like a jumble of instruments without its original musical shift.

Then again, I could be talking through my hat. 

• Members

I really liked from the solo on, but to me it felt a little disjointed coming after what it followed. I'd rather see the whole track done like that.

If you added glitchy/white noise percussion throughout it might tie it together better.

• Members

Thanks everyone!  On to the replies:

OGP - You are right, the guitar isn't EQ'd right.  It isn't just the mids, the lows are too loud as well   That will be fixed and the middle part with be smoothed out as well.  I've muted one electric track and turned down another.  I'm also going to retrack the acoustic to be a little smoother.  It should work better when I'm done.

LCK - I hear you, and this is far from finished.  I actually think your idea of having the Devo verse is great, I just don't have the first idea how to do it and I'm mentally stuck with this melodic progression for the moment.  I am going to ponder it, though.

Stick and Ram - Thanks!  I figured this might be an acquired taste.  I like it, but it is definitely not remotely smooth enough in the mixing department.  Hopefully another coat of polish will help the others see what I'm not displaying well at the moment.

Ryan - yeah, the contrast is too much right now, and that will change (hopefully) when I get another mix up.  I'm perfectly willing to give the glitchy perc sound a try - any idea where I can find one?

Leek - Looking forward to your thoughts.  Just be aware that the middle interlude is going to change a great deal, per the outline above in OGP's response.

• Members

I do not know where to find that.

I do have another idea for the arrangement.

Start with a solo. Let it go for a bit and get big and chaotic. Then drop it down to something real simplistic when you start singing, like maybe just bass and drums. Then you can slowly build it back up as the song progresses.

If you wanted to get real wild you could work in reverse order to where the song starts big and ends big, but the climax is super quite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think he was saying it limiter on the reverb but I can't speak for him. If you are using an exhilarating return and send situation with your reverb, which I recommend, the limiter can be a really cool tool to use on a reverb return post verb of course. The harder you hit the limiter the more wetness you hear from the reverb. In other words, the peaks of the reverb won't react as much as the tails or really everything post that little window of limiter catching. So, for instance, if you hear the reverb only on the loudest bits and want to really hear the reverb on all of the voice, hit the limiter a little harder. It's a cool and useful little trick. Nods to Mr. Stick.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

I think he was saying it limiter on the reverb but I can't speak for him. If you are using an exhilarating return and send situation with your reverb, which I recommend, the limiter can be a really cool tool to use on a reverb return post verb of course. The harder you hit the limiter the more wetness you hear from the reverb. In other words, the peaks of the reverb won't react as much as the tails or really everything post that little window of limiter catching. So, for instance, if you hear the reverb only on the loudest bits and want to really hear the reverb on all of the voice, hit the limiter a little harder. It's a cool and useful little trick. Nods to Mr. Stick.

Going to pry a few quotes out:

"an exhilarating return and send situation with your reverb, which I recommend"

I am using it as an FX track send.  Other than that, I am unsure what you are saying.

"In other words, the peaks of the reverb won't react as much as the tails or really everything post that little window of limiter catching"

Isn't that like adding some compression to the reverb?  That is a cool idea, never thought of that.

EDIT:

"I said post reverb of course but let me amend that. You can go pre-reverb for a completely different effect and you should of course try that because that is also very cool."

Now this is totally beyond me....

Archived