OT: So I'm thinking of putting out an album

bee3

• Members

... of the songs that I've worked out here on HCSF.  When I sat down to put together a list of the songs that I think might work for the record, I discovered I have too many.  I'm going to need to choose which ones make the cut... I know it's a big ask, but I'm hoping to get your thoughts on which ones should make the final cut.  (What is an appropriate number of songs for an album???)

Again - I know this is a huge ask... but if you're looking to kill some time, I'd really appreciate the feedback.  Once I narrow it down to the final songs for the album, I can really work on fine-tuning the mixes and putting finishing touches on them.

Everybody Wants Some

Too Much

Play It Slow

Adrift

A Perfect Life

Coffee

She Refused

Float Down River

Certain Company

Stained Glass Window

My Storm

I've Got Time

Gather Round

To My Love

Blue Melody

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why is 15 too many? A lot of special edition albums are around there when you count bonus tracks, and there are plenty of regular albums with that many too. I think you could get away with it.

I'll find time tomorrow to listen to them all though and let you know what i think.

• Members

bee3 wrote:

... of the songs that I've worked out here on HCSF.  When I sat down to put together a list of the songs that I think might work for the record, I discovered I have too many.  I'm going to need to choose which ones make the cut... I know it's a big ask, but I'm hoping to get your thoughts on which ones should make the final cut.  (What is an appropriate number of songs for an album???)

10 or 12, depending on the length of each song.

In the early-mid 1960s an album was usually about 36 minutes long. That length expanded to about 45 minutes in the late '60s and '70s. Nowadays the attention span of most listeners is much shorter. But for artists who want to put out a full album it should probably be between 38 - 45 minutes long.

Here are my picks. The numbers are just there as place holders, and do not reflect personal preference.

1) Too Much

2) Play it Slow

3) Adrift

4) Coffee

5) Float Down the River*

6) Certain Company

7) Stained Glass Window

8) My Storm

9) I've Got Time

10) To My Love

* This was a toss-up with "A Perfect Life." Both feature the ukelele so I thought it best to only do one uke song per album. (I'm assuming there'll be more; you have an amazing output.)

Every one of your songs is terrific, by the way.

• Members

Are you planning on releasing a hard copy or are you just doing digital?

If you aren't doing a hard copy then you aren't limited to size. You could release all of them together.

Something else to think about it is if you go with 10 you have 5 left over, and you're already halfway to your next one.

You could also do some instrumental tracks to make for some cool transitions in between tracks.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback everyone...  I'm thinking digital download only.  The feedback is helping!  Or confusing!  Ahhh!

I think I'm going to end up including Coffee (my kid's favorite) and A Perfect Life (my mother's favorite lyric).  Other than that...  most others are up for grab.  I'm not too sold on Too My Love.

Keep them coming.

• Members

LCK wrote:

bee3 wrote:

10 or 12, depending on the length of each song.

In the early-mid 1960s an album was usually about 36 minutes long. That length expanded to about 45 minutes in the late '60s and '70s. Nowadays the attention span of most listeners is much shorter. But for artists who want to put out a full album it should probably be between 38 - 45 minutes long.

Here are my picks. The numbers are just there as place holders, and do not reflect personal preference.

1) Too Much

2) Play it Slow

3) Adrift

4) Coffee

5) Float Down the River*

6) Certain Company

7) Stained Glass Window

8) My Storm

9) I've Got Time

10) To My Love

* This was a toss-up with "A Perfect Life." Both feature the ukelele so I thought it best to only do one uke song per album. (I'm assuming there'll be more; you have an amazing output.)

Every one of your songs is terrific, by the way.

I'm thinking much the same thing.  I like "Blue Melody" more than "To My Love", but TML is different than the rest and adds another flavor to the album.  I also agree that "River" is a better tune than "A Perfect Life" (sorry Mom!).

The only major difference of opinion I have with Lee is that I think you absolutely "She Refused" absolutely must be on the album.

• Members

rhino55 wrote:

If you aren't doing a hard copy then you aren't limited to size. You could release all of them together.

Yeah, I'm not sure what an "album" means in the age of digital downloads. Certainly, the running time/groove spacing restriction went away with the demise of vinyl. I say go with all 15.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually... maybe the reverse. I think the way Perfect Life starts is more of an attention grabber... the vocal right from the get go.... it builds with more instrumentation.

Float Diwn River Could fade out. Then again... I keep hearing Float down River building into a string arrangement and really going for that movie theme type of vibe.

• Members

Hi Justin - I finally took time to go through these songs.  Here are the songs that grabbed me as a listener:

A Perfect Life

She Refused

Certain Company

Stained Glass Window (far and away the best song in the bunch)

My Storm

I've Got Time  (This one would be a good opener because of the little guitar intro and the up-tempo feel)

IMHO, those six are great songs that must be on your album.  Beyond those, I have no strong opinions about what to include or not, although I'd go shorter rather than longer.  As someone else already pointed out, many of the songs sit in a similar place tempo-wise and rhythm-wise.  Although none of them are bad songs, I'd have a hard time listening all the way through a 10-15 song album because of that sameness factor.

My hat's off to you for embarking on this project.  Some day I hope to be as productive as you are.  :smileyhappy:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I went and met with a mastering pro who happens to have a studio 20 minutes from my house.  Great experience.  He sat down with me for two hours and we went through all of the potential songs...  he loaded them into his system and listened to every single one... even offered some constructive criticism on my mixes.  He showed me how to use a De-esser.  It was really interesting how he could hear the frequency that was bothersome, take a guess at what it was, then show me how to isolate that frequency and tame it with the de-esser. 

So the result - I'm definitely going to use his services... and he's convinced me to record real drums for the tunes.  He's even offered to help mix if I have trouble with the drums (never mixed real drums). 

I'm leaning towards an EP... then a second EP in the not so distant future.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

bee3 wrote:

Ideas for EP Title:

1) Turn out the Lights, Turn on the Stereo

2) Beautiful on the Outside

3) ?

A title is kind of a personal choice. I don't know that I could give you input.

My choice would be to call it either Coffee or My Storm.

Archived