Voice lessons for song presentation... Opinions please

John_Breed

• Members

Okay, so I am new here... Looked around a bit today and thought of some things I'd like to gain from this forum and questions I'd like to ask. I believe I'll start here as I feel that song writing is my "gift".

A little background first. I am 33, I have went through every genre of main stream music pretty much and with every piece of me I truly loved the genre I was into at the time. From the age of 8 I can remember walking around with 10 different chorus' and melodies popping in my head for songs I dreamt I would some day sing.... At that time they were spawned from GnR, poison and and other sorts of songs, then the same with heavier metal, then hiphop and for the past 10 years or so, Country Music! I never thought of it as a talent until I became interested in rap... I would freestyle to be funny and it developed from there I did 2 cd's with some guys that encouraged me to do so. They were from some bands that played stages at Ozfest and some other forums. My friend Buddy played with PSI (bass) and would always tell me how good I was at coming up with strong lyrics that fit well and how good I was at telling him what to play with the lyric to make it sound good... Needless to say, I grew up sooner or later, and moved on from a genre that just did not suit the persona that was now that of a Family mans likings...lol. But I did learn (self taught) to write well... I least I strongly believe so. My wife recently started kind of pushing me to do something artistic as a release for me because, in hindsight now that I've started again, it was definitely an important part of my life that was missing. I never played an instrument but I went and bought an acoustic guitar 2 months ago now and just started getting familiar with the sounds all the strings make and goofing around here and there. I have now written 5 complete songs with me and the guitar and gotten to where I can play them decently and sing at the same time. Although I could not sing AT ALL... It was kind of this Aaron nevil shaky thing mixed with a bad impression of eddy veddar...LOL... And 2 weeks ago I had this weird panic attack, went to the hospital and to make a long story short, I learned some breathing techniques to stop the attacks that calm me enough to let some decent sounds come out of my mouth... atleast when I can get into that relaxed zone.

I know this is ridiculously long winded so I'll try and get to the point... But probably wont... Me and my wife had been playingly considering moving to Tennessee from West Virginia and have been in love with the idea for some time but with the new music things bringing some harmony into our life are now relocating to the Nashville area in August where we will continue to work as we do now and I will check out some Musical avenues for myself while there... At this point I would just really like to focus on being the best writer I can be but do not think I would shoot down the idea of being a performer. Do you think that getting some singing lessons would be good for presenting songs? To help someone want to possibly record some of my thoughts? I mean, I know that's all a long shot, but I gotta try to show my kids it's worth it.... Beyond that, how do you feel about online singing lessons? Any of them do any good?

All responses are greatly appreciated... Thanks a million for your time folks. May Music sooth your soul as it has mine.

• Members

John_Breed wrote: Do you think that getting some singing lessons would be good for presenting songs? To help someone want to possibly record some of my thoughts? I mean, I know that's all a long shot, but I gotta try to show my kids it's worth it.... Beyond that, how do you feel about online singing lessons? Any of them do any good?

I don't think it would be a bad idea to work on your vocal chops. I have no idea whether online lessons would be valuable.

Best of luck, whatever you do!

Archived