Downhill Slippery Slope

Lee Knight

• Moderators

(lyric in and below vid both)

A revisit. I was going through my older stuff looking for a spark plug and listened to this for the first time in 3 years. I like it now more than I remember but it has some issues too. The arrangment needs a bit of a kick in the ass, etc. And still...  But the song proper...

...it always felt like an odd thing to be singing about the born loser without showing any hope. Any ideas on how I might bring a slight or not so slight shift to the whole POV here? For instance... an old buddy called out of the blue last night and told me about his book release. It's a Christian title. He doesn't remember I'm a devout agnostic. Or maybe he does. But he wants to start writing some tunes with me and suggested I help him with some modern praise stuff. I'm sort of the worst guy for that job and yet... maybe not.

What if the cynicism present in Downhill Slippery were used in a "foxhole" setting. Everyone's a believer in a foxhole. A loser never wins except when... or not. Anyway... anything here to revisit and betterize? And praisify even?

Intro

Downhill slippery, slippery downhill slippery, slip-slippery downhill slippery... etc

V1

My hands are bleeding from the climing

Fingers torn up red and raw

I'm told it's all about the timing

They can't deny my last hurrah

I've got the rim tight under my grip

The mossy edging starts to ride

No way in hell that you'll see me slip

As I start my backwards slide

C1

Cause I loser never wins

He can only hope

That the ride ain't too rough

On his downhill slippery slope

On this downhill slippery slope

V2

My life begins to flash before me

Or should I say it flashed behind

I'd yell for help; they'll just ignore me

I shoulda quit before I tried

C2

Cause I loser never wins

He can only hope

That the ride ain't too rough

On his downhill slippery slope

Bridge

In a black cloud shadow sittin'

Every ice cold drop of rain reminds you

Gotta find your firm footin'

Giving every ounce you got

Cause the storm will always find you

How wet you get is what defines you...

• Members

I think the issue here is that the music is so bouncy and happy, but the lyric is all gloom and doom.  The music is definitely looking for the silver lining.  So yeah, if you're wedded to that tune, I think you need to show some hope.  "I'm so wet that water's running down the crack of my ass, but at least I'm clean!"  Maybe not.  But you get the idea.  Think about how to twist a line or two in the chorus toward the positive.

Personally, I'd look for a way to twist the music so that it accentuates the negative, but that's just me.  I don't think that's your cup of tea.  :smileywink:

• Members

The first verse kicks ass. It's fan-frickin'-tastic. The chorus is great too. Just really great.

You "slip" up a little lyrically on "my grip" (prosody sore thumb), and rhyming "find you" with "defines you."

The only thing I think is missing is something besides the mountain climbing analogy -- what is this character's actual, real-life downhill situation? And why should we care?

Did he act too slowly to get the promotion? Did he say to his girlfriend, "Sure, it's okay if you go out with your ex just for one night, you know, just to catch up..." ? What's got him sliding downhill?

Other than that one little hook into the story, I think it's great. Great, great, great!

• Members

I read the lyric with the volume turned off, and thought to myself - "Lee crafts better lyrics than these nowadays".

Let me answer his questions about POV and maybe Christian ideas in a universal sense, and this is what came out (without hearing your music)(but I can hear you singing it):

There are born losers and born winners

But that can turn around at any time

The last can come first

And the first come last

Life's game 'aint written in reason or rhyme

Then I listen to the song, and loved the music and vocal melody. But I agree the music and lyric aren't completely happy bedfellows yet. 

If you send me an mp3 of the music without lyric - I'd love to write a lyric for this. ...:smileyvery-happy:

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

A revisit. I was going through my older stuff looking for a spark plug and listened to this for the first time in 3 years. I like it now more than I remember but it has some issues too.
The

arrangment

needs

a

bit

of

a

kick

in

the

ass, etc. 
And still...  But the song proper...

...it always felt like an odd thing to be singing about the born loser without showing any hope. Any ideas on how I might bring a slight or not so slight shift to the whole POV here? For instance... an old buddy called out of the blue last night and told me about his book release. It's a Christian title. He doesn't remember I'm a devout agnostic. Or maybe he does. But he wants to start writing some tunes with me and suggested I help him with some modern praise stuff. I'm sort of the worst guy for that job and yet... maybe not.

What if the cynicism present in Downhill Slippery were used in a "foxhole" setting. Everyone's a believer in a foxhole. A loser never wins except when... or not. Anyway... anything here to revisit and betterize? And praisify even?

It's great. Just great. You're so good as a producer that I can't really judge what the underlying song might be lacking, but it's all about the end product, and the end product here is great. As a songwriter you are giving hints to the arranger, and as an arranger you are giving hints to the performers, and as a performer you are giving hints to the mixer but I don't think it matters where the vision originates and where the vision gets realized, and in the case where the same person is serving in all of those capacities the distinction is moot anyway.

Long story short, this is a great track. And don't do the praise co-write - I know you're a pro but life is too short to work on things you don't believe in.

• Members

rsadasiv wrote:

It's great. Just great...

Long story short, this is a great track...

Yep. It is such a pleasure to listen to your artistry and workmanship in all areas and all arenas.

• Members

rsadasiv wrote:

It's great. Just great. You're so good as a producer that I can't really judge what the underlying song might be lacking, but it's all about the end product, and the end product here is great. As a songwriter you are giving hints to the arranger, and as an arranger you are giving hints to the performers, and as a performer you are giving hints to the mixer but I don't think it matters where the vision originates and where the vision gets realized, and in the case where the same person is serving in all of those capacities the distinction is moot anyway.

Long story short, this is a great track. And don't do the praise co-write - I know you're a pro but life is too short to work on things you don't believe in.

I'm not sure I agree with this, though I'm coming at this from the perspective of a professional track, since you create finals of that caliber.

For me, this is like an "idea" mix, something I might put together as a placeholder before getting into a studio to do it up for real.  As is, it feels caught somewhere between an intimate mix and a pop mix, and wants to move in either direction.

Or not.  :)

• Moderators

Oswlek wrote:

A loser never wins

Still I have to hope

XXXXXXXXXXX

That's a good rethink. I'd like to explore that a bit.

A loser never wins

Until he's got hope

Then the winner begins begins (stepping away from)

This downhill slippery slope

• Moderators

Monkey Uncle wrote:

I think the issue here is that the music is so bouncy and happy, but the lyric is all gloom and doom.  The music is definitely looking for the silver lining.  So yeah, if you're wedded to that tune, I think you need to show some hope.  "I'm so wet that water's running down the crack of my ass, but at least I'm clean!"  Maybe not.  But you get the idea.  Think about how to twist a line or two in the chorus toward the positive.

Personally, I'd look for a way to twist the music so that it accentuates the negative, but that's just me.  I don't think that's your cup of tea. 
:smileywink:

Agreed. I'd like to get some sunny funny optimism here.

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

The first verse kicks ass. It's fan-frickin'-tastic. The chorus is great too. Just really great.

You "slip" up a little lyrically on "
my
grip" (prosody sore thumb), and rhyming "find you" with "defines you."

The only thing I think is missing is something besides the mountain climbing analogy -- what is this character's actual, real-life downhill situation? And why should we care?

Did he act too slowly to get the promotion? Did he say to his girlfriend, "Sure, it's okay if you go out with your ex just for one night, you know, just to catch up..." ? What's got him sliding downhill?

Other than that one little hook into the story, I think it's great. Great, great, great!

Thanks Lee. Great stuff. It's funny in that I love the sound of the rough prosody with MY grip. It sounds cool to me. But who knows where this is going anyway. It may be gone. I'm not sure if story specifics are the way to go for this. Maybe. But it seems like it is about attitude. We are what we feel. We manifest what we see in our mind's eye. etc.

IT does feel like it could easily move form the climing motif at V2, doesn't it? Anyway, thanks for those nice words as well.

• Moderators

oldgitplayer wrote:

I read the lyric with the volume turned off, and thought to myself - "Lee crafts better lyrics than these nowadays".

Let me answer his questions about POV and maybe Christian ideas in a universal sense, and this is what came out (without hearing your music)(but I can hear you singing it):

There are born losers and born winners

But that can turn around at any time

The last can come first

And the first come last

Life's game 'aint written in reason or rhyme

Then I listen to the song, and loved the music and vocal melody. But I agree the music and lyric aren't completely happy bedfellows yet. 

If you send me an mp3 of the music without lyric - I'd love to write a lyric for this. ...
:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the ideas Phil. But hey, I'm writing this one! :)

• Moderators

rsadasiv wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

A revisit. I was going through my older stuff looking for a spark plug and listened to this for the first time in 3 years. I like it now more than I remember but it has some issues too.
The

arrangement

needs

a

bit

of

a

kick

in

the

ass, etc. 
And still...  But the song proper...

I read this last night as I was dozing off and it made me smile. Thanks so much Ram. That is quite a compliment. About the praise boycott...

I've always loved philosophical thinking. I love eastern religion and I love the teaching of Christ. I hate dogma and the concept of earth bound deities in general. I see them as really cool people with world changing ideas. Not the sons of God.

But skirting around the deity issue... I'd love to try my hand at writing inspirational songs. We'll see. I just reminded him of my religious status via email. I might be fired before I can quit. :) 

Archived