CIA

dramey

• Members

Oh look, this place is still here. I couldn't log in for a while, and gave up on trying to get help. Today it just worked.

I had to do some research on sexy lingerie recently, so I could dress up a hooker. Wait, that came out wrong. The hooker is in a song I'm writing. The song isn't really about the hooker, it's about the CIA. Well, no that's not true either, the song is called CIA, it's about a hookers boyfriend. Oh nevermind.

All I know is that I need to write more songs with hookers in them (I already have quite a few) to justify this kind of research.

Here's where I am after a couple drunken nights. It's country. I have the beginnings of some really bad music to go with it, but nothing I'm willing to share as of yet.

CIA.

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's in the CIA

She's got a dozen outfits designed to infiltrate

A sexy school yard, or a candy stripe parade

A convent where they all wear habits and fishnet lingerie

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's in the FBI

Every time I see her I swear she's with a different guy

Sometimes it can be a little awkward when you are dating a super spy

I never want to blow her cover so I just watch them passing by

Ive got a girlfriend, I think she's in the KGB

But I don't think Moscow sent her just to spy on me

Whenever the phone rings she's off on a secret mission

Usually with a Cat o' nine tails to whip the bad guys in to submission

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's from the outer space

You wouldn't believe the things she wears when she leaves her place

Once she was a French maid with a garter made of lace

Last night I caught her dressed like a Wookie with a light saber than vib-er-ates

• Members

I love it - and only have one possibility to throw into the pot:

Maybe you could throw in a little twist at the end. You've covered CIA, FBI, KGB, outer space, but what about the current hot potato?

I was thinking of in place of your current single tie-up line, you use a couple of lines that say you're never going to be sure about your girlfriends, and maybe you need a girlfriend with the ultimate lingerie, the all-seeing lingerie, the see-through lingerie - working in the NSA (or something in that vein).

Just a thought, but otherwise, I like the song muchly.

• Members

I like it a lot.  You've got some great imaginative ideas going.  And I like the fact that you never completely spill the beans; you just leave it for the listener to figure out (which isn't difficult, but most contemporary country songwriters think their listeners can't figure this stuff out, so they just have to put a blatant "tell" at the end).

I do have an issue with some of the rhymes, however.  Although I'm not normally a stickler for perfect rhymes, the series of "a," "ate," "ade," "a" in the first verse didn't feel quite right.  And the switch from AAAA to AABB in the third verse, then back to AAAA in the fourth, also stuck out as odd.  But maybe these things will sound o.k. when sung?

• Members

At one point I was toying with the twist being that protagonist being in some top secret organization himself (NSA would be perfect) and still unable to figure out what was going on with his GF.

To my ear the first verse sings fine. The third works but is a bit odd. I like the cat o nine tails line though. I might try to find a way to stick it in a bridge, the song needs one anyway.

• Members

Monkey Uncle wrote: I do have an issue with some of the rhymes, however.  Although I'm not normally a stickler for perfect rhymes, the series of "a," "ate," "ade," "a" in the first verse didn't feel quite right.  And the switch from AAAA to AABB in the third verse, then back to AAAA in the fourth, also stuck out as odd.  But maybe these things will sound o.k. when sung?

I agree. The hook for this kind of song is its cleverness. The idea is very clever. Some of the rhymes? Not so much.

• Moderators

dramey wrote:

Oh look, this place is still here. I couldn't log in for a while, and gave up on trying to get help. Today it just worked.

I had to do some research on sexy lingerie recently, so I could dress up a hooker. Wait, that came out wrong. The hooker is in a song I'm writing. The song isn't really about the hooker, it's about the CIA. Well, no that's not true either, the song is called CIA, it's about a hookers boyfriend. Oh nevermind.

All I know is that I need to write more songs with hookers in them (I already have quite a few) to justify this kind of research.

Here's where I am after a couple drunken nights. It's country. I have the beginnings of some really bad music to go with it, but nothing I'm willing to share as of yet.

CIA.

She's got a dozen outfits designed to infiltrate

A sexy school yard, or a candy stripe parade

A convent where they all wear habits and fishnet lingerie

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's in the FBI

Every time I see her I swear she's with a different guy

Sometimes it can be a little awkward when you are dating a super spy

I never want to blow her cover so I just watch them passing by

Ive got a girlfriend, I think she's in the KGB

Whenever the phone rings she's off on a secret mission

Usually with a Cat o' nine tails to whip the bad guys in to submission

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's from the outer space

You wouldn't believe the things she wears when she leaves her place

Once she was a French maid with a garter made of lace

Last night I caught her dressed like a Wookie with a light saber than vib-er-ates

Personally, I think...

CIA

infiltrate

stripe parade

lingerie

...are awesome rhymes. And also...

KGB

spy on me

But you go a little awry with...

secret mission

into submission

Well, actually those are great too. But as others have mentioned, it feels odd breaking up the rhyme scheme. Great lines though. I hope you decide to clean up the rhyme scheme because this is going to be cool. Here's a quick stab at a couple of ideas for fun and stimulation...

I've got a girlfriend, I think she's in the KGB

Always buzzin' like a secret agent busy bee

Mindin' other business when I wish she would be minding me

Bridge

The phone rings... she's off on a secret mission

Cat o' nine tails... whip the bad guys into submission

Archived