Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Intent - should I progress

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK... I've decided to go for a not-so-Bread production. I'm going to Toast it... something a little darker... a bit seasoned.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Give it a chance!

Incidentally... anyone know how to sync the Boom Drum Machine plug-in to a track? If I wanted to get it to start when I hit record? I'm terrible with this kind of thing.

Comment

Give it a chance!

Incidentally... anyone know how to sync the Boom Drum Machine plug-in to a track? If I wanted to get it to start when I hit record? I'm terrible with this kind of thing.

Gosh, I've done it but I had to search a bit. It's not obvious. Here's what I grabbed just now off the AVID forum but... So as I recall, you trigger by playing midi keys. That will trigger a sequence. Around middle C.

There is pretty good docs in the Pro Tools plug in manual I think it is...

Comment

Updated version: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11774643

Vocals are a bit rough... I have a cough and am just not nailing them yet.

Updated lyrics:

We could battle it out
          With such good intent
          We could each build a wall
          And hide behind it
          We could follow the script
          And act out the parts
          Play them all...

We could break for the shore
          When weather is rough
          We could float through our lives
          never to know what its like to have loved
          Or to have fallen apart

We could settle right down
          Build up our home
          We'd have each other's backs
          When they're up to the wall
          We could hold our heads up
          At the end of it all
          We're all right

We could break for the shore
          When weather is rough
          We can control our lives
          Change our direction and do what we like
          Just cause we've fallen in love

Comment

Definitely more Floyd influenced now. Sounds a little like "Us and Them" at the open. The "ooh" parts also make me think of them, but not a particular song. They are incredible, BTW. I'm personally hoping that you take their lead and launch into one of the solos that LK mentions in your sig. That song is just dying to explode, IMO.

I don't know how attached you are to the stuff you are laying down now, but the snare doesn't sit right. Too tinny and hollow.

Oh, the vocals are better than you indicate, and better than what you posted yesterday. A lot of it sounds like it is good enough to keep.
            Don't listen to Justin.
            LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Hmmm... an organ solo you're thinking? Not tied to the snare at all actually... I wasn't even going to have percussion, but was trying something a little different... percussive ambience.

Comment

Hmmm... an organ solo you're thinking? Not tied to the snare at all actually... I wasn't even going to have percussion, but was trying something a little different... percussive ambience.

No, a rip roaring guitar solo with notes that tear through your soul.
                Don't listen to Justin.
                LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

It's terrific.

I love the nod to Brian Wilson in the "ooohs."

There are a couple of lines that stick out b/c of a clunkiness to the rhythms.

"We can hide behind it" and "we can control our lives."

But other than that, I like where it's going. And I love the tune and the overall vibe.

LCK
                  “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

I wasn't even going to have percussion, but was trying something a little different... percussive ambience.

Percussive ambiance? There's Brian again.

LCK
                    “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Skip ahead to 1:45 for the opening track from the new Beach Boys CD.

Pure a cappella + piano.

LCK

Comment

What a cool song this is. The lyric is so... wise. I love the turn you took with it lyrically.

We could this
                        We could that
                        Just cause we've fallen in love

What a great idea. I particularly like the lines:

We could settle right down
                        Build up our home

Comment

No, a rip roaring guitar solo with notes that tear through your soul.

Ahhh... I've got the perfect guitarist for that sort of thing too... but he's in Kansas City... I should see if he has access to a studio.

Comment

Latest version... no rip roaring guitar solo yet, but I created space for it...

Also did a vocal comp... Let me know what you think.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11775794

Edit: Still a few vocal clunkers in there.

Comment

Oh... and thanks Justin, LCK, and Lee.

Comment

Was the only area that I thought felt awkward. I think the line is great and don't think it needs to change. I think singing it some more, you'll make it fit.

From what I remember, most of your stuff has a doubled vocals. I'm not sure if you're planning on doing that with this one too, but FWIW, I really like this with one take.

As far as a ripping guitar solo goes I think this one is a prime candidate. If it were me I would have the solo come in on the last section of Ooos. I'd more or less have it follow the Ooos the first time through that pattern building in intensity the whole time. Then take a big bite during while during the last section of Ooos.

Comment

Working...
                                X