Friday Influences Thread - 06-28-13

Lee Knight

• Members

I bought all the Elton John from the "Elton John" one in 1970 (the one with Your Song) through Captain Fantastic in, what 1975 I think.  After that, he lost me (and probably a lot of other more rock-oriented types.)

So I know almost nothing about what he's done since that long long time ago except for Candle in the Wind, The Lion King stuff, and maybe an odd item here and there.

So for fun I've been listening on MOG to all those albums I ignored for decades.  There's a lot of MOR slick nothings to be sure, but dang there are some standouts.  Here's a few (am I the only person in the world who never heard these till now?):

yeah it's standard ballad adult contemporary, etc....but good is good and genres are just for keeping the shelves organized.

nat whilk ii

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

I bought all the Elton John from the "Elton John" one in 1970 (the one with Your Song) through Captain Fantastic in, what 1975 I think.  After that, he lost me (and probably a lot of other more rock-oriented types.)

yeah it's standard ballad adult contemporary, etc....but good is good and genres are just for keeping the shelves organized.

I liked "Blue Eyes" a lot when it came out.

• Moderators

Hearing Neil's version of everybody' talkin really points out what a great interpreter Nilsson was. The original Neil version is so so very good. And Nilsson manages to use it all to his takes advantage while adding those certain Harry touches. Harry knew not to toss away all the wondefull touches of the original. Because wow, what a wonderful job Fred Neil did.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Hearing Neil's version of everybody' talkin really points out what a great interpreter Nilsson was. The original Neil version is so so very good. And Nilsson manages to use it all to his takes advantage while adding those certain Harry touches. Harry knew not to toss away all the wondefull touches of the original. Because wow, what a wonderful job Fred Neil did.

Yep. If I were Fred Neil I'd be thinking, "I had a feeling this song was good. But I had no idea it was that good!"

• Members

Listen to the sheer amount of musical energy and invention packed into this ~2 and a half minutes. This track goes through more changes per minute than Bohemian Rhapsody.

And listen to the musicianship from both singers and instrumentalists.

All done, of course, with no overdubs, punches, edits, comps, or tuning.

• Members

Thanks, LK.

Two songs from Stephen Sondheim's and David Lapine's Into the Woods.

The story is a fairy tale. In this scene, two brothers, each enamored with an unobtainable object of beauty -- one in love with Cinderella, the other with Rapunzel -- discuss (sing about) the agony of their love.

Bernadette Peters sings, "No One Is Alone."

Archived