Friday Influences Thread 07-05-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post what moves ya.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

We're playing a cool gig on Sunday. 

Earl.JPG

EARL THOMAS AND FRIENDS RAISE THE ROOF CONCERT FOR THE BLUES HALL OF FAME

As Four Eyes, we'll get up and play a few for the cause, Sunday night at the Belly Up Tavern along with a long list of old friends. Earl Thomas came on the San Diego scene in the 80's and proceeded to make every singer on the circiut think twice about what he was doing. He's a character, a one of a kind sort of guy. He now lives and works out of San Francisco but keeps ties to San Diego. This'll be fun...

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

530abb2b355cf.jpg

• Moderators

As the songwriting forum here at HC takes its last gasps for air... like the barely alive, sad eyes of the cat that's been hit by a car. Lying on the road shoulder, beyond pain, only confused. Why is it getting darker. darker darker what happened. I don't even remember being hit...

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

As the songwriting forum here at HC takes its last gasps for air... like the barely alive, sad eyes of the cat that's been hit by a car. Lying on the road shoulder, beyond pain, only confused. Why is it getting darker. 
darker 
darker what happened. I don't even remember being hit...

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown..."

Or something to that effect. It's a big holiday weekend. People are on vacation. Things will get back to normal...?

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

As the songwriting forum here at HC takes its last gasps for air... [...]

Puh-leez! O ye of little faith...  grin 

You're too close to the canvas to see the big picture. Traffic here has always gone down when the weather gets nice. Three/+ day weekends in nice weather are especially slow, as a rule.

One person posting and one person around at some future point to read the post is a forum quorum. thumb.gif

Here's my first pick for this Friday, on time and on theme, queued up just before the band starts playing.

"Crypt Kicker" by the Fontanelles

http://youtu.be/pNbX46gG0Bk?t=59m40s

These guys came out of the Long Beach gloom/goth/glam scene of the mid-80s and they were pretty funny guys (and actually quite good players) but, here, they're basically the butt of some pretty mean but pretty funny MST3K humor. (I haven't talked to any of them in decades, but they knew the movie was a POS pretty early on. I suspect they took it all in pretty good humor. First time I saw Spit, the lead singer, with his first band, Sofa Music, he was in a wheelchair, completely wrapped in bandages except for eye, nose, and mouth holes. One arm, as I recall, was on one of those braces that sticks out in the air. He did much of the show like that and then, finally, they started unwrapping him for what I recall as the climax.

Here's the whole movie; 'good' holiday afternoon faire, I should say. 

• Members

Since leaving Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler has become sort of an English balladeer, writing story songs often based in true tales of the near and distant past.  I like the way his distinctive guitar playing and his rock edge weave their way into his work.  I saw him live a few years ago from third row seats...very powerful, very cool.

Archived