Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Stained Glass Window - final (?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stained Glass Window - final (?)

OK... did some work. Re-did the vox, flute, and piano part.

http://soundcloud.com/justind/stained-glass-window

Don't believe the words they told you
    They were so absurd
    The lies they told the congregation
    A hundred years unheard

Well I'd rather be an honest man
    Than suffering fool who thinks he can
    Hide behind his stained glass window
    And I'd rather be blasphemous
    Than to be impervious
    In the name of being hallowed

Recite again the prayers they taught you
    And comprehend the words
    So each describes a situation
    Each a lesson learned

Well I'd rather be an honest man
    Than suffering fool who thinks he can
    Hide behind his stained glass window
    And I'd rather be blasphemous
    Than to be impervious
    In the name of being hallowed

Beautiful song. Just lovely.

There are still some shaky spots lyrically.

They were so absurd
    A hundred years unheard

If they were unheard, then who cares whether they're lies or the truth? And wouldn't a thousand years be more like it? To me this is an example of what we all do sometimes, we write for a rhyme without nailing what we really want to say. And when I talk about nailing something, I don't mean hitting the nail on the head. I think it's usually best to express things in a sideways or underhanded fashion, especially when writing a didactic lyric, which is what this is.

Recite again the prayers they taught you

And comprehend the words
    So each describes a situation
    Each a lesson learned

The last two lines here are way too generalized, plus they seem to be off point. Also, the opening of this verse seems to contradict the pov of the first verse.

As for the chorus, it's great except as noted:

And I'd rather be -- ee blasphemous (I noted this stretched out "e" sound before)
    Than to be impervious

As for that last line, it should either read "than be impervious," NOT "than to be impervious." That syntactical structure would only work if the previous line were "I'd rather to be blasphemous than to be impervious..." So the proper structure would be:

It's better to be blasphemous
    than to be impervious

Of course that's a generalized statement, it doesn't have the personal stamp of "I'd rather be..."

I think the best way to phrase this, structurally speaking, is: "I'd rather be blasphemous than impervious." That doesn't solve the problem of the stretched out "e" on "be," and it leaves you with empty space, musically on the impervious line. This...

I'd rather be half-blasphemous
    than totally impervious

...might work much better.

I think it says what you want to say, and it falls "trippingly off the tongue."

LCK
    "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

They were so absurd
      A hundred years unheard

If they were unheard, then who cares whether they're lies or the truth? And wouldn't a thousand years be more like it? To me this is an example of what we all do sometimes, we write for a rhyme without nailing what we really want to say. And when I talk about nailing something, I don't mean hitting the nail on the head. I think it's usually best to express things in a sideways or underhanded fashion, especially when writing a didactic lyric, which is what this is.

So, in my head, I was thinking about the current pedophilia scandal, particularly in the Philadelphia area... it's all coming to light in the media now... with cases dating back approximately 50 years or so... I rounded up.

Digesting your other comments now...

Comment

They were so absurd
        A hundred years unheard

'A hundred years unheard' can stay and still make sense if the previous line is changed to reference truth instead of lies.

Comment

Where did those opening flute parts go?

I also recall there being a flute part between the couplets in the second verse as well, and think it should return.

You did some of what I asked in the interlude, but hearing it I think I was wrong. It was better before.

Personally, I think if you take these vocals (turned up, they are too quiet) and slap in into the previous music mix, you'd have a winner.
          Don't listen to Justin.
          LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

'A hundred years unheard' can stay and still make sense if the previous line is changed to reference truth instead of lies.

Lies being unheard... meaning folks simply didn't know they were happening or chose to ignore them. Am I way off base?

Comment

Where did those opening flute parts go?

I also recall there being a flute part between the couplets in the second verse as well, and think it should return.

You did some of what I asked in the interlude, but hearing it I think I was wrong. It was better before.

Personally, I think if you take these vocals (turned up, they are too quiet) and slap in into the previous music mix, you'd have a winner.

I grew to hate the flute intro... and the second half of the original flute part was kind of sucky.

Comment

Lies being unheard... meaning folks simply didn't know they were happening or chose to ignore them. Am I way off base?

They are correct that the truth being unheard is really what is the problem....

That said, the lines don't bother me in the least. Nor does the "eee" or "to be" in the chorus. I do think the "lesson learned" couplet could be improved if it were more alligned with the "comprehend" part.
                Don't listen to Justin.
                LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

The lies were heard. The truth was unheard or ignored.

Comment

I grew to hate the flute intro... and the second half of the original flute part was kind of sucky.

Trust me, those opening flute parts worked well.

When it comes to the interaction between the organ/flute parts, IMO the trick is just leaving a little space for the first few notes of the opposite line. But after doing that, you can come back in. For instance, the organ line ends at 2:33 and doesn't return until 2:40. You don't need to give the flute that much space, a 3 second pause between 2:33 and 2:36 is more than enough.

I like how the converge a 2:40, but I'd have them do another back-and-forth type thing at 2:46 instead of staying in unison, and have them come together at the very end (2:58).

Of course, you are free to follow my sig. Just passing along how I might approach it.
                    Don't listen to Justin.
                    LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Yeah, you gotta keep all the flutes! Personally, I love the re-write. I think it's great. Except for that 100 years unheard. How about...

They were so absurd
                      As if they were "the word"
                      The truth so seldom heard
                      The truth so often blurred

Anyway, I love this tune.
                      Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

Comment

BRING BACK THE INTRO FLUTES!!

They draw you in instantly and I think are VERY important.

I have no problem with the lines

A hundred years unheard

Im taking that even back then they were speaking lies (covering truths) but it hasnt been spoken of in a long time.... and now it may be resurfacing... was it truth or lies? the people are dead... who knows?

Comment

BRING BACK THE INTRO FLUTES!!

They draw you in instantly and I think are VERY important.

I have no problem with the lines

A hundred years unheard

Im taking that even back then they were speaking lies (covering truths) but it hasnt been spoken of in a long time.... and now it may be resurfacing... was it truth or lies? the people are dead... who knows?

Totally. And, even though it may not be fully accurate written, has anyone failed to understand exactly what you mean?
                          Don't listen to Justin.
                          LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Totally. And, even though it may not be fully accurate written, has anyone failed to understand exactly what you mean?

I won't argue that it's fine to stay, but the only reason I mentioned it is because I didn't understand it. I made the mistake thinking that the line was filler and didn't mean anything and was happy to find out it did. If everybody gets it, it sure sounds good and sings great.
                            Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

Comment

I won't argue that it's fine to stay, but the only reason I mentioned it is because I didn't understand it. I made the mistake thinking that the line was filler and didn't mean anything and was happy to find out it did. If everybody gets it, it sure sounds good and sings great.

OK, well that answers my question.
                              Don't listen to Justin.
                              LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X