Lost World - production phase 1

Lee Knight

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Sounds great! The genre seems well-served as well. I especially like the 'oo's between "they're living in" and "lost world".

And what's that cool sound in the background? It is slide guitar or something?

• Members

This is a fantastic track. Really well done. The only thing that's missing, in my opinion, is the tug-on-the-heart-strings story/lyrical hook. I'm not feeling the kind of emotional connection I want to feel with the material. I'm not sure why I should care about these characters or what they've lost.

I'm sorry to be a downer about this, but I think that's the most important element in a country song.

I think the lost world idea has to have some real, palpable heartbreak attached to it. Once you've got that, you're good to go.

• Members

Been waiting to hear something from you since my return....I like where you've gone. Very clean production....cool guitars. Great Lee knight vocals as usual.

Regarding the dely on the vox.....I like doing that a lot myself. I have found that careful automation of the return from the delay bus is crucial to get those echos to be right where you want them and nowhere else. And timing, of course, is everything. I always time mine by ear.....I really need to feel the movement.

Remember that you can automate the feedback as well to get just the right amount of repeats. As it is so often in this game...less is definitely more with vocal delays. If you get them just right they really move the tune forward, right?

If you listen to yours near the beginning they are just a bit haphazard. I really like the use here......I'm sure you'll get them perfect with a little more grinding.

• Members

ok, so.....I dubbed some piano on top of Lee's most excellent song.  Lotta nerve, huh?   Well, I asked first:smileyhappy:

reasons for doing so if not apparent from listening....

1 - I just got the itch listening to the track, said "wow I really want to play piano along with that"

2 - the piano is a more nostalgic instrument than elect gtr, etc so I think it works as an instrument choice

3 - some of Lee's ac gtr voicings are a bit too unresolved/floaty to my ear for this genre, so I did some pretty obvious stuff

4 - the chorus is the most fun - I dare say the thing rocks a tad more with the piano going if I do say so myself...

this is only partial and never mind the clam or two - I'll work up and tweak the rest later but I'm already shirking important duties with this fun stuff...let me know if y'all think this works....

Piano discovered in Lost World!!

nat whilk ii

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Here we go. Let me have it, if you please... yes, I know. Modern Country. Ick. Sorry, it's my thing of late...

Listening again, I think you need to tee up that final chorus a little better. 

The way it keeps playing in my head is inserting another second at 3:20.5 with another "I'm livin' in!" sung a little more urgently before finally hitting "Lost world."  Can't upload a demo, so if this doesn't make any sense let me know and I'll give you a call.

• Members

Very cool song and production. I think the feedback has covered all things that I would also mention.

I like the slide guitar tone - it had a Harrison/Wilbury era flavour to it which works for this song.

There's just one thing - at the end of the song, the acoustic guitar takes us out with its descending phrase - very nice - and then you sing 'Lost World' again. I'd cut that - it feels intrusive once the guitar has descended. I'd like it to wrap up with that alone.

• Moderators

The piano that Nat added definitely added an extra dimension to the track. I made it sound bigger. That's probably one of the reasons why I tend to use piano on most of my tracks. lol. I would use a different timbre for it though or at least some EQ, seems too bright or forward. Either way, I think a piano track might be worth exploring.

• Moderators

Nice Nat! I love it. I think I'll take a pass myself using some of your ideas there. Thanks for the inspiration. The part isn't quite what I'm looking for. It's great but is more of an E Street Band/East Coast 70's thing. I dig that but it feels a bit removed from the genre I'm leaning towards. Still... your ideas and performance are very cool. Thanks man. Very cool.

• Moderators

LeonardScaper wrote:

Been waiting to hear something from you since my return....I like where you've gone. Very clean production....cool guitars. Great Lee knight vocals as usual.

Regarding the dely on the vox.....I like doing that a lot myself. I have found that careful automation of the return from the delay bus is crucial to get those echos to be right where you want them and nowhere else. And timing, of course, is everything. I always time mine by ear.....I really need to feel the movement.

Remember that you can automate the feedback as well to get just the right amount of repeats. As it is so often in this game...less is definitely more with vocal delays. If you get them just right they really move the tune forward, right?

If you listen to yours near the beginning they are just a bit haphazard. I really like the use here......I'm sure you'll get them perfect with a little more grinding.

Thanks Leo! Regarding the delay... yeah I got you. I've automated delays beyond tweakdom. I know what you're talking about. Honestly, this was phase 1 and drew the line at getting too tweaky. And sort of got used to it. But you're absolutely right. I will automated them into covert status. Thanks mang.

• Moderators

Oswlek wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

Here we go. Let me have it, if you please... yes, I know. Modern Country. Ick. Sorry, it's my thing of late...

Listening again, I think you need to tee up that final chorus a little better. 

The way it keeps playing in my head is inserting another second at 3:20.5 with another "I'm livin' in!" sung a little more urgently before finally hitting "Lost world."  Can't upload a demo, so if this doesn't make any sense let me know and I'll give you a call.

Great catch. When I was doing the  the one "I'm livin' in!...", cutting the drums and planning it out... it immediately brought ideas to me that I should do another but... then I resisted. But hearing you say that, well, that may have been the way to go. Let me make sure were on the same page here, like this?

drum fill - I'm liv-n! in!

drum fill - jus' livin' in!...

...A lost world...

• Moderators

oldgitplayer wrote:

Very cool song and production. I think the feedback has covered all things that I would also mention.

I like the slide guitar tone - it had a Harrison/Wilbury era flavour to it which works for this song.

There's just one thing - at the end of the song, the acoustic guitar takes us out with its descending phrase - very nice - and then you sing 'Lost World' again. I'd cut that - it feels intrusive once the guitar has descended. I'd like it to wrap up with that alone.

I agree. I ended up putting that in because my guitar noodle and mandolin session fizzled (sorry Jay) and there was nothing to really take the helm there. I think piano and mandolin will allow me to keep the interest level up there and I'll be able to take that out. Good point and nice catch. Thank you sir.

Archived