Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Mraz on Songwriting

Despite the media saturation, I remain a fan. Here, he describes his process. Good read.

http://jasonmraz.com/journal/2013/how-do-you-know-when-a-song-is-done/

Thanks for posting that.  There are some interesting notions and suggestions in there.

Comment

• Lee Knight
      Lee Knight commented
      Editing a comment

Good article and great ideas. I love his mention of looping a section and letting his body and rhythm and soul just sort of jam on a section to find cadence and subject and whatever else in a melody/lyric. I really hear that in his work. I tend to do this in my mind, just running a section over and over all day and just refining the lyric and cadence till it gets smoothed out. I'd like to try his approach of doing it to a track. Interesting.

Anyway, good for you Bee, for not pretending you don't like the guy. I can only wish I had half his talent.

I think you meant a gazillionity?

Comment

• rsadasiv
      rsadasiv commented
      Editing a comment

Dude rubs me the wrong way. Might be the groove. Might be the hat. Definitely not my thing. Preach it, Grace (@3:20).

I'm on the beach at the moment, but the song that sold me on Mraz was Absolutely Zero, the studio version. If someone could post it, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

• rsadasiv
      rsadasiv commented
      Editing a comment

bee3 wrote:
      I'm on the beach at the moment, but the song that sold me on Mraz was Absolutely Zero, the studio version. If someone could post it, you'll see what I mean.

• rhino55
      rhino55 commented
      Editing a comment

I'm a helper

• Lee Knight
      Lee Knight commented
      Editing a comment

bee3 wrote:
      I'm on the beach at the moment...

Um... it's lovely in La Jolla in a temp controlled office building drinking Flavia Machine coffee and soaking in the latest in corporate decoration schemes and work group new-think cubicle layout. And you think Vegas carpet is bad?!? I love these inspirational posters! They freaking motivate me! I think I see some green out of one of those windows maybe.

The beach?!?! It's Thursday! I'm not jealous.

:frustratedfacesmiley:

Comment

Not a huge fan of his, but that entry is certainly worth chewing on.  I think he started out as a coffee-shop type guy, who then hooked up with one of the Swedish production teams to blow his songs up.  I think I might have liked them better before.

Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Working...
      X