Friday Influences Thread - 08-09-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hi. How the hell are ya? Tell ya what. Why not share something that has been an influence on you and the way you approach your music. Maybe it was Davey Jones singing I Want To Be Free or it was Jimi obliterating your senses with his machine gun onslaught or Bootsy or Nancy Sinatra and that kick ass arrangement or Slipknot's awesome sheet of of pane glass sound taking your head off a la The Omen... maybe it was a preTED musicology presentation from Leonard Bernstein on the tube circa Leave it to Beaver. There's so much that has gone into the making of you. The Cure, Sabbath, Hank, Gaga or Bach. Tell us a little about that.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

Vitruvian Man.gif

I know, right? da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. Canon of Proportion. Proportion. It's like a magic word to me. Leo's drawing was inspired by Roman architect Vitruvius. 50 years before Christ, Vitruvius proposed the concept that architecture should imitate nature in its construction. Leo liked that idea and took that ball and scored... a thousand and a half years later. Vitruvian theory turned to art on paper. Note the outer square. The inner circle. Man lies on both lines. Note the motion, the shape from the spread legs and feet, to the narrow waist, and back up wide to the outstretched hands. Note the distinct facial features, the unruly hair. The ripped nature of this guy. Leo made him a real, living, breathing man. He moves on the paper. And exhibits the beauty of proportion via God's greatest creation. Man.

It reminds me of a good pop song. From the general statement at the spread feet, to the refinement of concept at the narrow waist, V2 perhaps?, drilling down into the subject and further exploring the available resources, then spreading outward into the more informed general statement, do it again, but different this time, as the song fades into the wide open sky of eternity where all great pop songs go to fade away and die. Until they're played again. And again. Eh... maybe its just me.

OK then, I love love love this new tune. Love it. You probably won't love it and all for very valid reasons I'm sure. That's OK. That's what makes you... you. And that, as they say, is a good thing. Show us you.

Hold onto your heart

Hold it high above flood waters

Hold onto your heart

Never let nobody drag it under

And I need new skin for this old skeleton of mine

Cause this one that I'm in has let me down once again over time

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

530abb23e1c8d.gif

• Members

I've seen this guy a few times, and as far as I am concerned this is a picture perfect song. 

Interestingly enough, I didn't even realize how much he had influenced me until stumbling across the album again recently.  But songs like "Pangaea" and "Fingertips" borrow heavily from this structure/arrangement.

For the perc experts among us, can anyone listen to this and let me know what is happening in the chorus?

http://picosong.com/RrWb

(Sorry about the pico link, I would have posted the YT vid, but there isn't a studio one available)

In the instrumental part of the chorus the snare gets really thick, and it sounds like more is going on than simply a harder strike.  Is the drummer hitting a tom to deepen the sound?  Is it a compression trick?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Oswlek wrote:

I've seen this guy a few times, and as far as I am concerned this is a picture perfect song. 

Interestingly enough, I didn't even realize how much he had influenced me until stumbling across the album again recently.  But songs like "Pangaea" and "Fingertips" borrow heavily from this structure/arrangement.

For the perc experts among us, can anyone listen to this and let me know what is happening in the chorus?

(Sorry about the pico link, I would have posted the YT vid, but there isn't a studio one available)

In the instrumental part of the chorus the snare gets really thick, and it sounds like more is going on than simply a harder strike.  Is the drummer hitting a tom to deepen the sound?  Is it a compression trick?

Thanks.

That was what... 94? My favorite album that year it came out. I devoured it daily. Great album...

• Members

Lee Knight wrote: I love love love this new tune. Love it. You probably won't love it and all for very valid reasons I'm sure. That's OK. That's what makes you...
you. 

I quite like it.

• Members

When I retreat from popular music to "classical" (can't that word be retired??), about half the time I listen to stuff that runs from Chopin to Faure to Satie, Debussy and Ravel.  In fact, the gamut of European art from the late 1800s till WWI, fin de siecle stuff, I can't get enough of - just seems to sum up everything that went before and holds the future like some DNA bundle of the embryonic modern world.

As a direct influence musically, I try in some projects to get Faure's vibe into my material - I'd like to think that I had some success doing so with The One That I Love - may be only apparent to me, 'tho...

(sorry if some of these vids have ads...)

don't need no drugs when there's stuff like this to listen to...

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

I'm spending a couple days up in San Clemente California for a mini family reunion. As I drive around town carting the crew to this restaurant or that wine bar we've got Daft Punk's new one blasting. (thanks Ram)

Any band that can use the talents of Georgio Morodor giving us some spoken word, with insights on the mechanics of classic disco music, over a daft beat, The vocal stylings of 70s era songwriter Paul Williams, truly awesome by the way, the funk guitar of Nile Rogers, some incredibly talented almost George Duke-like Rhoads player... all packaged in one meticulously recorded, slowburn of a CD, well... it's just fantastic, especially very loud. And it grows and grows and grows on you.

Oh, and Mr. Pharrell Williams... Lose Yourself to DANCE, indeedy!

Archived