Friday Influences Thread 08-16-13

Lee Knight

• Moderators

HEY! As our wonderful receptionist Renee says here at Aspen Marketing / Epsilon, "HAPPY FRIDAY!" She also says happy mondaytuesdaywednesday... she's a walking happy machine and very real about it. Puts a smile on this old cynic's face every morning. I dig Renee! So HAPPY FRIDAY! Post it!

Some THC driven fuzz rock made me happy this past week and makes me want to plug in and crank. God, I miss playing with a drummer. I may have even dipped into their (Foals) source of inspiration for a ride. Maybe. Take a ride.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

HEY! As our wonderful receptionist Renee says here at Aspen Marketing / Epsilon, "HAPPY FRIDAY!" She also says happy mondaytuesdaywednesday... she's a walking happy machine and very real about it. Puts a smile on this old cynic's face every morning. I dig Renee! So HAPPY FRIDAY! Post it!

Some THC driven fuzz rock made me happy this past week and makes me want to plug in and crank. God, I miss playing with a drummer. I may have even dipped into their (Foals) source of inspiration for a ride. Maybe. Take a ride.

Foals do a nice retro-disco thing.  I think I posted this a while back:

• Moderators

rsadasiv wrote:

Foals do a nice retro-disco thing.  I think I posted this a while back:

Yeah, I like that one as well. It reminds me of Math Rock meets Nile Rodgers meets Talking Heads meets Indie Rock. Very cool. I like these guys a lot.

• Members

MOG is hooking me up with all sorts of material I liked in ye olden days but lost track of (lent the album, never got it back...borrowed the album and finally returned it...lost it or melted it or sold it or someone stole it or I just imagined that I actually owned it etc etc)

here's one: when Cream broke up, Jack Bruce put out this really unusual album called Songs For A Tailor.  When I was a kid listening to it, it was a bit of a hard listen - I hadn't been listening to jazz yet at that point, so my audible rhythm tracking skills were not very highly developed - but it was a very strangely fascinating album.  It seemed to point to a whole new possible direction for what we called "progressive" rock back then (which did NOT simply mean Yes or ELP and their innumerable copycats) it just meant "taking this whole thing further" like (who else) the Beatles did.

Bruce's bass here - just amazing.  I hear prototypical Jaco, Sting, Geddy...and the concepts I think are stunning.  The album is a bit spotty - at times his execution of his vision seems clumsy and sort of melodramatic.  I know nothing about his stuff later than this - guess it's time to MOG him up and eddicate meself - 

the album has this one with the full band - cant find that on YT - here's a great solo acoustic version 'tho....

yow!

nat whilk ii

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

here's one: when Cream broke up, Jack Bruce put out this really unusual album called Songs For A Tailor.  When I was a kid listening to it, it was a bit of a hard listen - I hadn't been listening to jazz yet at that point, so my audible rhythm tracking skills were not very highly developed - but it was a very strangely fascinating album.  It seemed to point to a whole new possible direction for what we called "progressive" rock back then (which did NOT simply mean Yes or ELP and their innumerable copycats) it just meant "taking this whole thing further" like (who else) the Beatles did.

nat whilk ii

I thought from the very outset that "Sunshine of Your Love" was a big band tune disguised as rock 'n' roll.

Archived