August Showcase Thread?

LCK

• Members

I didn't see a showcase thread for August, so I thought I'd create one to post this interesting development.

Laura Ainsworth, who recently recorded two of my songs for her new CD Necessary Evil, put up my song "Last Train to Mercerville" for consideration in the category of best new song.

They were denied because "the song has previously been recorded..."

There are numerous Johnny Mercer song titles mentioned throughout the song, and the coda "quotes" some of Mercer's songs, melodically. However, this is a brand new song that has never been recorded before.

Anyone have any ideas on the reason the Grammys might have made this decision?

Just asking...

PS: I just learned that the Grammy's pulled a version off my songwriting blog (see link below) as proof that the song is not new. http://kelleytunes.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-last-train-to-mercerville.html

But, as I told the producers of the CD, "It's an honor just to be submitted for a nomination..."

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

UPDATE: I'm told the song is now being accepted for consideration in the best song category.

It's a million-to-one shot, but it's something...

Nice. Good luck

So what made them change their minds?

• Members

I thought I was done with this one, but listening to it over on my buddy's speakers made me realize the piano at the end was really the lead instrument and deserved to be more than just background texture.  I fired up the DAW fixed that, and also took the time to have my kids add a bit to the end.  I'd been meaning to do that and after hearing it, I'm glad I did.

http://picosong.com/ycYv

Sorry I've been mostly just posting mix/master stuff lately, but that's all I've been really doing.  I have one new tune in the works that will be posted soon, I hope.

• Members

Oswlek wrote:

I thought I was done with this one, but listening to it over on my buddy's speakers made me realize the piano at the end was really the lead instrument and deserved to be more than just background texture.  I fired up the DAW fixed that, and also took the time to have my kids add a bit to the end.  I'd been meaning to do that and after hearing it, I'm glad I did.

Sorry I've been mostly just posting mix/master stuff lately, but that's all I've been really doing.  I have one new tune in the works that will be posted soon, I hope.

I know it can be exhausting keeping up with my mixes, but I promise that this is done and worth check out again, particularly the ending.

• Members

LCK wrote:

UPDATE: I'm told the song is now being accepted for consideration in the best song category.

It's a million-to-one shot, but it's something...

Great!

I'm so glad you got that sorted. But it did ruin a perflectly good chance for me to take yet another cheap shot at the Grammys. Oh, well, something tells me I'll have plenty of chances in the future...  grin 

Archived