Hey, I'm Just Being Nice

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hanging out over at Backstage With the Band the topic turned to drunk blowhards who "know-Taylor-Swift-and-she'd-dig-you-guys-so-give-me-a-tape-and-I'll-get-it-to-her" types. Then guido/David used the line if I had a nickel for every grain of salt... and me listening to Sexsmith's Eye Candy, well, a pale and mediocre take on it seemed only right. :). 1st draft of a basic idea. Ideas or reactions? Slams or mockery? It's all welcomed.

*Updating here as I go.

Hey, I

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fantastic and boy howdy will any gigging musician know exactly what you're talking about.

A couple of things...

Mix some pride with self doubt on ice

seems like it might be awkward to sing. That will sort itself out once you sing it, but to me it seems like it might flow better as:

Mix pride with self doubt on ice

or

Mix some pride and self doubt on ice

Next:

Inside I'm all "my-oh-my"

Also seems awkward. It might work, but even if it did, it wouldn't really ring true because that's not what we'd be thinking. If I tried to type what we'd really be thinking it would get censored so I wont bother. In that verse it might be neat to explore the fact that the douche probably believes some of what he's telling you about his connections.

Last thing is the hook, "Hey, I'm just being nice." It might work really well, but I'd have to hear it. I love the sentiment. At least I'm being honest, which is the nice thing to do, even though you're full of sh*t. I think if you moved that line it would no longer carry the weight you want it to, but I'm unsure of how that particular phrase will work right there.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Hanging out over at Backstage With the Band the topic turned to drunk blowhards who "know-Taylor-Swift-and-she'd-dig-you-guys-so-give-me-a-tape-and-I'll-get-it-to-her" types. Then guido/David used the line if I had a nickel for every grain of salt... and me listening to Sexsmith's Eye Candy, well, a pale and mediocre take on it seemed only right. :). 1st draft of a basic idea. Ideas or reactions? Slams or mockery? It's all welcomed.

Hey, I

• Moderators

rhino55 wrote:

Fantastic and boy howdy will any gigging musician know exactly what you're talking about.

A couple of things...

Mix some pride with self doubt on ice

seems like it might be awkward to sing. That will sort itself out once you sing it, but to me it seems like it might flow better as:

Mix pride with self doubt on ice

or

Mix some pride and self doubt on ice

Next:

Also seems awkward. It might work, but even if it did, it wouldn't really ring true because that's not what we'd be thinking. If I tried to type what we'd really be thinking it would get censored so I wont bother. In that verse it might be neat to explore the fact that the douche probably believes some of what he's telling you about his connections.

Last thing is the hook, "Hey, I'm just being nice." It might work really well, but I'd have to hear it. I love the sentiment. At least I'm being honest, which is the nice thing to do, even though you're full of sh*t. I think if you moved that line it would no longer carry the weight you want it to, but I'm unsure of how that particular phrase will work right there.

I actually had: Mix some pride with self doubt on ice. But I'm thinking it might be nice to clear up the vision of seeing these things as stuff that comes out of a bottle, intoi a jigger, then into the mix in a highball glass. The stupid cocktail. So "some self doubt" sounds like an ingredient. Ooo... and a dash of "bitters?" Get it?   Don't know yet. 

^^^ yeah, I know. It reminds me of Sulu. my-my Thanks Ryan.

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

Lee Knight wrote:

Hey, I

• Moderators

Thanks^^^

That's a great point that Ryan made also about the title. I'm planning on having it be one of those everything stops and snap you get the attitude title. Like, God for bid, Shania Twain saying man I feel like a woman. I think it could work if I can realize what I'm hearing in my head so only time will tell on that but thank you for the second heads up on the potential issue here.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Thanks^^^

That's a great point that Ryan made also about the title. I'm planning on having it be one of those everything stops and snap you get the attitude title. Like, God for bid, Shania Twain saying man I feel like a woman. I think it could work if I can realize what I'm hearing in my head so only time will tell on that but thank you for the second heads up on the potential issue here.

Ha I think you made my point..."man I feel like a woman" is a great catchy line.  "hey I'm just being nice" is a little weak by comparison.  I could see it as an aside mid-verse, but not the hook you hang everything on.  Again, my $.02, I could be totally wrong when I hear it.

• Moderators

I don't believe the issue is the title / catchphrase. That is supposed to sound sort of... common. It's the setup that needs work.

Imagine a song called, I'm Sorry, What Was That?

That's a nothing phrase. But if the set up creates an expectation the he drops the bomb each chorus, "oh, were you talking to me? To be a much needed face slap, well, that's the "Here's a Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares,

Or not, but that's what I'm going for. I need to tighten up my setup leading up to the phrase so its slap stings more.

• Members

Hey Lee, a quick thought...forgive me if this is addressed somewhere else in the thread...

It might be nice to reveal somewhere why everyone comes up to you and lies to you.  I don't have this problem, nor do I know anyone who does.  If I heard someone in real life complaining how everyone lies to him, after a certain point I would think, "hang on, what's the common denominator here, it's our narrator. What's wrong with him that he hangs out in places where everyone lies to him all the time.  He should either a) not hang out there or b) hang around other people."  (It's like those people who always complain about how they are surrounded by idiots, but ultimately it's them and their perspective.)

So there might be a bridge or intro where you reveal how it is that this keeps happening to you, or maybe at the end you reveal that the liar is actually.... YOU.  

Or perhaps I'm overthinking it...

• Members

Oh man, I didn't realize it was one guy bugging you the whole time - if this is made clear(er), my earlier objections go away.  (Again, maybe it's me.)  But then I would say this has to be one compelling bullsh*tter to sustain my interest for a whole song!  

Dumb idea:

What if "HEY [total stop] I'm just being nice" is last line *before* the chorus, just like the Shania example (so you're a rocket scientist, so you're brad pitt).  Second verse could then be, "hey I got nothin better to do" or "hey, please go on, do tell" or something like that.)

Archived