Could you guys give my band and I some criticism on our new song?

Leon1242

• Members

Any sort of input would be appreciated very much, we understand the song is not fully complete, I haven't gotten around to write any lyrics yet, so there are no vocals as of yet and our drummer did not finish his drums for the entire song, so the drums stop after the second verse. We still need to work alittle bit on the breakdown as well, but we just want to know if this song at least sounds decent to you guys, so thank you to everyone who gives us a hand, we would surely do the same for you guys. If you guys have any songs you want listened to, just leave a link or message me. Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKJgCXtsNA

• Members

Obviously, it's a little premature giving detailed criticism at this stage of the song's development.

But, you know, I think you've got the foundation for a 70s style prog rock thing.

Are the people talking in the middle part of the song? Will there really be all those noodly synth-only breaks? Because that could be problematic. For one thing, the parts the synth is playing are more than a bit  unfocused. More work is probably required.

To be honest, after listening all the way through, this sounds more like someone noodling around in the practice room. It's not really ready for feedback. Give it some more work and come on back. :)

• Members

hey there blue, nice to meet you. I need some clarification, i'm alittle lost as to what you mean by premature as well as the synth/synth breaks. because there are no synths going on at all. It is all guitars and drums. The people talking were some people who weren't keeping quiet during the recording process, so that should not be in there.

• Members

Leon1242 wrote:

hey there blue, nice to meet you. I need some clarification, i'm alittle lost as to what you mean by premature as well as the synth/synth breaks. because there are no synths going on at all. It is all guitars and drums. The people talking were some people who weren't keeping quiet during the recording process, so that should not be in there.

I'll be darned. I had taken the lead guitar for a particularly distorted, grindy synth lead. I guess, listening again, I can sort of hear the guitar-ness in there. It's quite a sound.

Anyhow, yeah, by synth break I guess I meant after the mid-point when it sounds like the drums cut out (they were plenty hard to make out, anyhow) and then it's the guitars, and then, I think, but I could be wrong, just one guitar. 

Now, let me stipulate that I'm pretty sure I don't really understand what you're going for with your music, so maybe my comments don't apply, but I have to say that, particularly after the second listen, the lead motif of the repeating back and forth figure was not really working for me. 

Anyhow, like I said, I think it's kind of early to be trying to give a critique on this work (and I'm not sure I'm the guy to do it, anyhow). I think I'd get back to working out your ideas, as well as trying to refine your recording process a little -- I found it pretty hard to make out the drums buried under the distorted guitars That might be what you're going for, of course, but, well, anyhow, I'm thinking that this track will improve with more work and filling out. 

;)

• Members

It's pretty hard to comment on backing tracks without vocals or lyrics.  Backing tracks that are incomplete are fine if there is a vocal and lyrics at least for purposes of getting some critique/commentary. 

Sounds like the tune could possibly be interesting enough based on the changes you've tracked....but it's a bit like trying to judge if a meal is going to be tasty or not by looking at a sack of groceries.   

For what it's worth - my first post in this forum got the same reaction - not enough there yet to inspire meaningful comments.  So I fleshed things out more in my later posts and found this forum to be a great place to get constructive criticism.

nat whilk ii

Archived