Red Thief

rickidoo

• Members

I really miss the Stickboy Challenges the board used to have.  Always felt it built songwriting muscle by forcing me to do go in directions I might not otherwise would have.

There is a website called "soundfight.org", that in essence throws the equivalent of a particular type of Stickboy challange out - usually in the form of a phrase. They give you the phrase, and you need to write a song around it.

And so the upcoming phrase is "Red Thief". And here is the song, just an instrument and vocal. Cowritten with the lovely and talented Annunciata Pascale.

Suggestions, likes dislikes etc welcomed, as always.

Red Thief

©2013 Richard Brooks (That's me!) and Annunciata Pascale

V1: In she walked in that red dress

I was thinking thoughts I must confess

Although I hadn't thought

Much of them through

• Members

As always the melody and music is very engaging.  I have a number of thoughts for you to consider.

*  Three verses before the first chorus is asking a lot of the listener.  I initially thought you should just trim off V3, but C2 arrived quicker than I expected, so it should be possible to sneak V3 in after C1.  No matter what you do, you need to get to C1 sooner.

*  You miss a great chance for a hammer line at the end of the chorus.  "Unaware of her schemes" is a throwaway, doesn't add anything to the lyric that hasn't already been said.  Why not just hit us with the title again?

She was a red thief in the night

Took my innocent dreams

And stole my light

She was a red thief (or something more colorful such as "That dirty red thief", only better than that :))

*  Why must you confess?  That feels like it is there for the rhyme.  In fact, all the "thought" rhetoric feels clunky.

*  "Must confess" feels even more unnecessary when you introduce something that you really must confess to in the bridge.  More evidence that a change to V1 would probably strengthen the song.

*  I'm not sure "wonderful" is the right word for your life.  You spent this entire song telling how low down, dirty this bedazzling witch is and how much she hurt you, but then you twist and say how great things are.  I'd keep it more cautiously optimstic, like "I'm alright".  That hit home because it felt more honest, wasn't selling anything extra.

*  It had been 20 year or more it seemed.

*  In the nght and stole my light both feel a bit too cliche.  I wish I had something better to offer, but they held me back from really engaging with the chorus.

Great stuff, Rick.

• Members

rhino55 wrote:

I'd re-order it slightly

V1

V2

Chorus

V4

V3

Bridge

Chorus

I don't know that I'd do V5 and V6. They're good and I like the story arc, but if you're fine now, was she really that bad?

I'm debating whether you need to spell out what she did.  If not, you could go

V1

V2

Chorus

V4

V6

Chorus

Bridge

Chorus

Which would allow you to add that tag at the end.

That said, as long as the optimism levels are scaled back, I don't mind the twist at the end.

Archived