Instrumental (for now - vocals planned) GOS - anything here?

Oswlek

• Members

I had my usual somber, ethereal guitar/melody thing going and hard a surprisingly active bass line pop into my head.  Fired up the DAW, came up with a drum beat, tracked the guitar part on a synth and laid a bass track down - which I mistakenly added distortion to only to think it made things better.

Is there anything worth developing here?  The first 6 seconds are just to get into the groove, just imagine the song starts at 0:07.  No lyrics and melody tracked yet, though it will mirror the synth for the most part.  The song won't end the same way, of course.

http://picosong.com/q3F2/

Interesting?  Dull?  Do the brushes work or should I look for a different sound?

• Moderators

Yeah, totally. That's cool. I don't see this as an instrumental though. I'm not sure if that's what you're planning or not. I hear a melody being sung with rad rhymes, yo. Personally, I wouldn't go with some floaty type melody, I'd keep it with nothing longer than a 1/4 note. I'm hearing triplet 1/8s a lot too. Then...

...if you switch to some longer notes for a B section or a build consisting of 1/2 notes maybe. But where ever you go I think it has lots going for it. Who knows, maybe this is your entry into instrumental music. I'm not particularly interested in that style of instrumental so I'm not leaning that way but... either way, cool beans. Interesting Mike Oldfieldian textures.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Yeah, totally. That's cool. I don't see this as an instrumental though. I'm not sure if that's what you're planning or not. I hear a melody being sung with rad rhymes, yo. Personally, I wouldn't go with some floaty type melody, I'd keep it with nothing longer than a 1/4 note. I'm hearing triplet 1/8s a lot too. Then...

...if you switch to some longer notes for a B section or a build consisting of 1/2 notes maybe. But where ever you go I think it has lots going for it. Who knows, maybe this is your entry into instrumental music. I'm not particularly interested in that style of instrumental so I'm not leaning that way but... either way, cool beans. Interesting Mike Oldfieldian textures.

Yeah, it won't be an instrumental, I only wrote that because it is now.  I tried to get that across with the "no melody or lyric yet" line.  Sorry for the confusion.

I'd love to hear you melody ideas if you have the time or inclination. 

I like the idea of stretching out the notes in the B section, hadn't thought of that.

• Members

Sorry to me this sounds like the bass and pads are playing two separate songs. I'm hearing notes between them which don't work for me. Maybe the parts are too murky, maybe just me, sorry. I'm generally cool with intentional dissonance, not feeling this though.

If the parts gelled it would be an interesting start. I'd open up the filter a bit on the pad.

Hope this helps.

• Members

mbfrancis wrote:

Sorry to me this sounds like the bass and pads are playing two separate songs. I'm hearing notes between them which don't work for me. Maybe the parts are too murky, maybe just me, sorry. I'm generally cool with intentional dissonance, not feeling this though.

If the parts gelled it would be an interesting start. I'd open up the filter a bit on the pad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't mixed this at all, so I'm sure there are some EQ issues, but I'm intrigued by the "notes between them" line.  When are you hearing this?  Is it the synth notes that appear between the guitar parts?  While they overlap?

FWIW, I haven't a clue what you mean by the filter line.  I just search until I find a VST that is reasonably appealing, I have no idea how to alter the sound from there, other than adding FX or EQ.

• Members

ZebraSteve wrote:

I think it needs a good lead guitar melody on top...

Thanks.  You might want to see the "for now" part of the title.  :)

It isn't going to be an instrumental, it just is at the moment.  Where you want a lead guitar is going to be a vocal.

Archived