Demo Making Question

rhino55

• Members

This might be OT, feel free to delete... hopefully after I get an answer.

I've been making demos with my phone for a while now.  I'm thinking about getting an ipad mini today with the intention of using that instead.  I'll finally get a copy of that multi tracking app that you guys were talking about a while back so I can do a couple of parts... probably nothing too complicated.  How much memory do I need to do that effectively?  Can I get away with 16GB?

• Moderators

I have no idea, sorry. My iPhone demos ended up being voice memos only. That works for me, humming into the voice recorder built in app while driving or mouthing a drum groove, etc. The multitrack didn't really fit my workflow. I just revisit the captured ideas nad work them out later in the studio.

• Members

I can't weigh in on iPad or app specifics but I just wanted to kick in that, despite my perhaps well-known antipathy to a certain 8000 pound albino gorilla's biz practices, I think it's clear that the iOS platform is currently the best mobile platform for anything more than casual recording -- and that is largely because of the broad third party software and, especially, hardware support for it. 

The fact you can get apparently decent sounding outboard converters to plug into many iOS devices (compatibility, of course, is always an issue as HW configurations and OS change rather inexorably, just do the homework beforehand) is the crucial advantage.

There is software support in the latest Android OS's for outboard converters, and DIY types may be able to root their device and possibly use it with a USB outboard audio, but, so far, if you don't like the converters in your Android phone or tablet, it's an uphill struggle against platform fragmentation from the myriad of vendors who have forked their own Android versions.  

(And, let's face it, it doesn't appear most phone and tablet converters are any better than those on the mobos of desktop and laptop computers, and I find those converters disappointing even for 'just' listening to music -- that said, some of you all have postively commented on the sound quality of some of my quick 'phone demos' but, you know, horses for courses. You don't take a mudder out on  a dry track. I think. Hell, I dunno.Anyhow, I wouldn't cut an album with it.  grin )

• Members

Great points.

I'm not looking to make an album with it, at least that's not the plan. I like watching a tape machine spin around... maybe when they make an app for that.

I'm just wanting to be able to demo things with more complexity than one take with a guitar. I still don't want to go too complex, but maybe add some background vocals or another instrument or two.

Archived